Montana bear down!

netman

WKR
On Monday my wife and I parked at a closed gate. After walking about a mile and half up past the gate I walked over to glass a gully. About then my wife goes ‘Bear’ . I look and there’s a bear running towards me. I got it in the scope and determined it was a cinnamon black bear. Then I checked for cubs. None seen. Pow! It dropped down over the small ridge. I heard the bullets Whap right after the gun went off. I told my wife we needed to wait several minutes. We continued to scan the area in case it had taken off. After about ten minutes we walked over to where we seen it go down. There it was! Shot was no further than forty yards.
Upon joyfully looking the bear over it had a tag on its ear. The tag had a number and message. The message said ‘Call before eating’. I was thinking a relocation bear from a nuclear facility or something similar.
I gutted it out and my wife and I carried it back to my truck. We had to drive two hours to get a phone signal. I called the bear in on the report line and got my confirmation number. I asked the guy about the tag. He transferred me to another person who transferred me to a biologist. I told the biologist about the tag number. She said’Oh’ I need to call you back. About fifteen minutes later she calls back and tells me the bear was captured and tranquilized on May 21. It had only been 10 days since the bear was doped so I was directed to throw the meat away. She said she would have a GW call me. A few minutes later a GW called me and told me to put the meat into a trash bag and throw it into a dumpster.
So any way I got the hide to a taxidermist for a rug. The taxidermist said it was a 5.5’ bear.
He said that a 5-6 footer is average. Man I’m tickled to say the least but upset about the meat.
I cannot believe my first bear was a cinnamon. It’s fur is perfect too!E0E97A02-E760-4BDF-92C7-CA9CBFD2FCAD.jpegBBEC41FC-982D-4A64-89A8-76E0DC5B4185.jpeg[ATTACH=ful

JohnnyB

WKR
Congrats, beautiful bear!
Kind of cool story to get one with a tag but too bad you don’t get to enjoy the meat.
Did you notice any signs of rubbing on the hide? I have never hunted this late in spring but due to travel restrictions this year, I am just getting loaded up to drive to Montana for some late season actio.

OP
netman

netman

WKR
8D5C42BA-77D3-4899-A1A6-4817A208ADC1.jpeg
After talking with the GW he told me where he released the bear. It had traveled about 16 miles from the release site.

OP
netman

netman

WKR
The evening before my wife and I drove around and used the spotting scope. I seen a moose give birth to a calf. I also seen mule deer and antelope with brand new fawns. My suspicion is the bear I shot was cruising the sage looking for fawns. My wife told me later she seen three antelope bust out of a gully wide open right before she seen the bear.