Montana Big Red Moo decoy

HoytHntr4

WKR
Curious if anyone has had any success using the Montana big red moo cow decoy or any cow decoy to get into archery range for antelope? I'll be hunting an area this year that should have a decent amount of cattle around so I was thinking about buying one and giving it a shot. If I find a buck and the terrain is right I will just try to spot and stalk but if its more open I thought a cow decoy would be worth a shot to have along and use. I thought also about getting a predator antelope shoot through decoy but have heard those aren't as effective until you are closer to the rut. Just wondering what kind of luck others have had doing this

jolemons

WKR
Used multiple days during archery season in New Mexico on land with a lot of stocker cattle. The antelope wouldn't let me get within ~100 yards. I finally shot one at 75 yrds that was distracted by a coyote while using the decoy as cover. I know that they have worked for many others, but not for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Be ready for cows to come investigate. I've used cow decoys to "sneak" up on snow geese before and I've seen them work on goats and deer out west but I'd definitely have a plan B.

You can use decoys anytime of the year the bucks may just not come running to them. What ever you chose practice a ton with setting them up...using it...shooting while using it or figuring out how to transition from the decoy to shooting.

#1 problem with the bow mounted decoys is wind and trying to shoot with it on your bow. #1 problem with hand carried decoys is trying to get them to stand up/stay up while shooting or waiting for a goat to get in range.

Jaquomo

WKR
I tried one on a few stalks where there were lots of beef cows. 100 yards was about the max before the pronghorns spooked. I've also tried using it as a blind but they wont come near it. Works much better with plains muleys.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed two goats using them. Tons of fun encounters using it as well. If you know area they are bedding at, it’s a great tool to use to get right on top of them when sun is creeping up. Definitely worth investment in my book. My only complaint is it’s a dang pain to fold back up…