Montana Block Management Program

Been doing research for my very first elk hunt in Montana. I ended up unexpectedly drawing a general elk tag a year sooner than I thought. Anyway was wondering if anyone had any insight about the block management program in Montana? I tried to read through MT FWP resources about and it seems pretty confusing and like there really isn't much opportunity for a DIY guy to hunt there. A lot of what I have heard is negative experiences from how landowners handle the process. For a First time DIY Archery Elk is there some decent opportunity in these areas or should I just avoid the hassle and stick to hunting public lands.

There is opportunity, it will vary depending on what region you are in. Sign up on FWP to receive a block management access guide, I believe they come out in June or July. The guide will let you know what areas are available for the year and the rules to follow. There are two types, type 1 and type 2. Type 1 you can access freely or some with a sign in box. Type 2 you will have to get permission from someone, whether it’s the landowner or FWP, it will vary.
In the region I hunt, most BMAs do not hold rutting elk, they are more winter and transition range. They do have a lot of opportunities for late season elk, pronghorn, and mule deer/whitetail.
I wouldn’t over look BMAs, can be some great opportunities because a lot of people will not bother because of the perceived “extra barriers”. I believe onX updates BMAs and when you click on them, it tells you the type.

OP
BackyardChemist
There is opportunity, it will vary depending on what region you are in. Sign up on FWP to receive a block management access guide, I believe they come out in June or July. The guide will let you know what areas are available for the year and the rules to follow. There are two types, type 1 and type 2. Type 1 you can access freely or some with a sign in box. Type 2 you will have to get permission from someone, whether it’s the landowner or FWP, it will vary.
In the region I hunt, most BMAs do not hold rutting elk, they are more winter and transition range. They do have a lot of opportunities for late season elk, pronghorn, and mule deer/whitetail.
I wouldn’t over look BMAs, can be some great opportunities because a lot of people will not bother because of the perceived “extra barriers”. I believe onX updates BMAs and when you click on them, it tells you the type.
Awesome thanks for the response! Great tip on the OnX did not know there was a block management layer in there.

netman

WKR
Just look at them as another tool in your toolbox. My first trip to Montana I got hung up on making sure I had plenty of land access and opportunity. Coming from the Midwest I did not realize how big Montana actually was. Well sir it’s big! Lots of land to hunt and fish. I still sign up for the block management area guide book each year. I haven’t hunted them as I have found my own utopia out there.