Montana Bow Slings

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
Just had a chance to use this on a week long elk hunt. I have a love/hate relationship with slings but plan to do a full review on this one!
I am interested to hear wha you have to say. I just got mine in Saturday, I HATE carrying my bow in my hand, but after getting it in the mail I am not sure this is going to solve my problem with out creating other issues.

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested to hear wha you have to say. I just got mine in Saturday, I HATE carrying my bow in my hand, but after getting it in the mail I am not sure this is going to solve my problem with out creating other issues.
Hey if there are any questions that I can answer or help in any way dont hesitate to ask.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
I used mine for two weeks. Really like it. Need to do a full review for everyone. For me it's well worth the investment.
Thank you sir, happy to hear that its working for you. How has your season been so far?

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Can I ask what your concerns, issues are? It can take a bit to get it set up on the pack that works best for the individual hunter.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Just returned from an 8 day elk hunt. The Montana Bow sling worked awesome. Took a bit to get the perfect placement, but once I did it was great. I ran the front hook strap right over my left shoulder strap and it carried like it was in the pack. Awesome product for elk hunting.

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Just returned from an 8 day elk hunt. The Montana Bow sling worked awesome. Took a bit to get the perfect placement, but once I did it was great. I ran the front hook strap right over my left shoulder strap and it carried like it was in the pack. Awesome product for elk hunting.
Thanks alot man, really appreciate that. Yeah, it can take a little to get use to, adjusting and fitting it properly. Once a guy gets that down it really works well. Thanks again and good luck this season!

I kinda thought what the hell when I got it all out of the package. Once I got it on my pack, and positioned correctly I found it to work about as well as carrying in hand, except it doesn't wear my arm out. I had it adjusted so it carried my riser at the bottom of my pack belt, also used both the hooks. Rear hook on the riser as far back as it could go close to the limb pocket, front hook right above my sight. This carried the bow forward with the handle just infront of my hip. Never had issue with the riser hanging up in the hooks, lift straight up and it came right out. I did have my hand on it a fair amount to keep it steady, didn't need to all the time just kinda became a resting place for my left hand.

Just how I found to use it. Definitely something I'll continue to use.

Thank you sir, happy to hear that its working for you. How has your season been so far?

Elk hunting was a bust, passed 3 different opportunities early looking for a good bull. Last day I decided I'd shoot a cow close to camp when I saw them, didn't realize it was a small herd. Had the bull right next to me before I knew what was going on. Got tunnel vision stalking up on those cows and blew my perfect opportunity. Lesson learned, if chasing bulls stick to the plan. Deer season will start here in less than 2 weeks.

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
I kinda thought what the hell when I got it all out of the package. Once I got it on my pack, and positioned correctly I found it to work about as well as carrying in hand, except it doesn't wear my arm out. I had it adjusted so it carried my riser at the bottom of my pack belt, also used both the hooks. Rear hook on the riser as far back as it could go close to the limb pocket, front hook right above my sight. This carried the bow forward with the handle just infront of my hip. Never had issue with the riser hanging up in the hooks, lift straight up and it came right out. I did have my hand on it a fair amount to keep it steady, didn't need to all the time just kinda became a resting place for my left hand.

Just how I found to use it. Definitely something I'll continue to use.
Thanks for the review man, I appreciate that. If you ever do have any problems with it let me know, I'll take care of it. Good luck this season and be safe!

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
I just used my MBS for 6 days in the mountains. Love it. Works just as advertised. I use it mostly on the walk in and out but wouldn't be hard to get to my bow if needed unexpectedly. I hook to each end of my riser and rides right at pack belt height. Nice place to rest left hand while moving. I also used it to carry my rifle (archery elk and rifle deer was open where we were hunting) a couple times and worked well for that. Better than carrying with a traditional sling over a pack strap.

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
I just used my MBS for 6 days in the mountains. Love it. Works just as advertised. I use it mostly on the walk in and out but wouldn't be hard to get to my bow if needed unexpectedly. I hook to each end of my riser and rides right at pack belt height. Nice place to rest left hand while moving. I also used it to carry my rifle (archery elk and rifle deer was open where we were hunting) a couple times and worked well for that. Better than carrying with a traditional sling over a pack strap.
Thanks for the review, I appreciate it. Is there anything abouth the sling that you may not have liked or think could use some changes?

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review, I appreciate it. Is there anything abouth the sling that you may not have liked or think could use some changes?

Not really. The issues I've had are when I'm not using it, the hooks can get hung up on stuff occasionally, but it's not that big of an issue.

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Not really. The issues I've had are when I'm not using it, the hooks can get hung up on stuff occasionally, but it's not that big of an issue.
I usually either take them off at the side release buckle or hook them to part of the pack in that situation

I tuck them into my side pouch on my pack, have a elastic side pocket that can hold a water bottle or something. Don't put them all the way in, just hang the hooks upside down on it.

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
I tuck them into my side pouch on my pack, have a elastic side pocket that can hold a water bottle or something. Don't put them all the way in, just hang the hooks upside down on it.

Yeah, I do something similar when I know I'm not going to use them for a while. When I want to use them on and off through a day or forget to tuck them away, they sometimes get hung up on things. It's not enough of an issue to even be concerned about 99% of the time.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
Can I ask what your concerns, issues are? It can take a bit to get it set up on the pack that works best for the individual hunter.
It is difficult to carry if you have an extended sight bar and stablizer. If you carry it with the sight and stabilizer up, the bow is top heavy and tries to roll away from the body. If you try and carry it with the sights/stabilizer down you either have to have the quiver against your body/pack or have the bow hooked with the top limb behind you. I am still trying to work it out and see if I can make it work.

OP
J

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
It is difficult to carry if you have an extended sight bar and stablizer. If you carry it with the sight and stabilizer up, the bow is top heavy and tries to roll away from the body. If you try and carry it with the sights/stabilizer down you either have to have the quiver against your body/pack or have the bow hooked with the top limb behind you. I am still trying to work it out and see if I can make it work.
Are you carrying it more to the front or the side? A buddy of mine has a long stabilizer and he usually carries it to the side and uses the bow as a hand rest. Does the bow roll when you try going hands free?

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member

I too was under the same impression until I gave it a chance and was impressed! I didn’t think I would be!

I live in the Bozeman area where the slings are made so I messaged Josh last Saturday while out hunting and he got back to me right away letting me know where in my area carried the Montana Bow Sling in stores. I picked it up that afternoon and was hunting with it Sunday. It worked awesome. It took me a few tries to figure out where I wanted to hook the straps on my pack, but once I got it dialed in I loved it. I can carry my bow hands free and still be able to grab and be able to shoot quickly. It makes hiking so much easier when I don't have to have a bow in my hand, I was amazed at the difference.

I also plan to use the sling when I go rifle hunting. I hate using a shoulder sling and constantly having my rifle fall off my shoulder.

Not only is the sling awesome, the customer service was even better. Josh offered more than once to meet up with me and help me get everything set up if I needed it. I could hardly get the people in the bow shop to acknowledge my presence so Josh's offers to help were greatly appreciated. The sling is very easy to use so I was able to figure it out, but it was nice to know I had help if I needed it.