Montana / Canada Border Crossings

JDZ

WKR
Which border crossings are the worst? Going across with archery hunting equipment and coolers or freezer for meat. Looking at different trip route options that could take me across at any of the following:

Roosville, US 93
Piegan (Carway), US 89
Del Bonita, Hwy 213
Sweetgrass I-15
Wild Horse, Hwy 232

If this post will get me on some sort of list, do me a solid and let me know and we can delete it.

Bc7mm

FNG
My only experience was Sweetgrass/Coutts. No hunting Equipment, work related, but found both sides of the border easy to deal with and helpful.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I went sweet grass last year. Coming back with 900lbs of moose and two skulls was no problem. Going into Canada was difficult. All was good with going hunting, having archery equipment, but when I said I had multiple knives he paused, wrote something down and then made me pull into the vehicle search area. The dogs kept marking on my console because I keep pistols in there and had only took them out that morning. Entire thing took about an hour, the team of 8 people searching the truck were professional, but it was irritating.

jimh406

WKR
I don't know which is better/faster to cross, but I-15 is a much better, more direct, and faster road with higher speed limits.

Related to this where can I drop a pistol & ammo to leave it before I go into Canada. Wyoming resident cross over near north Dakota. Anyone know if you can drop it an ffl?

Tod osier

WKR
I went sweet grass last year. Coming back with 900lbs of moose and two skulls was no problem. Going into Canada was difficult. All was good with going hunting, having archery equipment, but when I said I had multiple knives he paused, wrote something down and then made me pull into the vehicle search area. The dogs kept marking on my console because I keep pistols in there and had only took them out that morning. Entire thing took about an hour, the team of 8 people searching the truck were professional, but it was irritating.
They are very picky about certain quick opening knives.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
They are very picky about certain quick opening knives.
Yea I had read. I was clear I had no spring loaded knives, said except for one folding pocket knife they were all fixed. It wasn’t a big deal, just a time drain. The dogs marking on my console was more of an issue.

Tod osier

WKR
Yea I had read. I was clear I had no spring loaded knives, said except for one folding pocket knife they were all fixed. It wasn’t a big deal, just a time drain. The dogs marking on my console was more of an issue.
It also includes folders that can flip open or have an assist button. I’m no expert, but they get interested when I’ve crossed and said I had knives and the little reading I’ve done made it clear that it woul be pretty easy to have a problem.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I have been across the border at Sweetgrass many times with archery equipment and firearms (including three times in the past year) and it is usually smooth sailing if you have your ducks in a row.

One thing I like to do is plan my border crossing fairly early in the morning.

I stop and fill my gas tank in Shelby then try to cross the border around 7-8 a.m. Seems to help with the line of cars.

I do the same on my return trip. Either early in the morning or late at night.

Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions.

MNGrouser

FNG
Packin_Packout, I can't say for North Dakota, but I live in a Minnesota border town and people frequently leave firearms with the county sheriff. They are locked up in the arms room and you can make arrangements to pick them up on your return trip.