Montana Canvas Range Tent

mmac

WKR
After my NM elk hunt where I saw 40mph winds and a popped air mattress inside my old 2 man, I have decided it is time to upgrade to something that is more 4 season and can take a stove. I don't always have guys going with me though, so I think a wall tent by myself is a little aggressive and hard to move if needed. I was thinking one of these canvas guys..... Anyone have any thoughts on them or experience?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would do a Kodiak canvas 10x10 and put a stove back in it and call it good. Heck, you can run a big buddy heater in it and don't even bother with a jack. An 8x10 wall tent isn't hard to deal with either, or a 10x12 and they'll usually have a jack already installed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
Kodiak canvas 10x10 weighs 12# less than Range tent, inc. poles and stakes, has zippered screen windows, 2 zippered doors, gear lofts, ventilation, nearly vertical walls, much more usable space than the Range tent. I am a very satisfied owner of the Kodiak. It is luxe for 1 cot, sufficient for 2 cots and heater/stove.

Kodiak Canvas 10x14 for me. Sweet tent with plenty of room for two and three will fit. You can put a stove jack in it or run a heater buddy. I set mine up in about 20 minutes by myself.

OP
M

mmac

WKR
Thanks for the responses and idea on the kodiak canvas. Definitely has me thinking. I watched a bunch of videos and they seem well built and might be just the ticket. My concerns is around a how much snow they can take and around a heater. Since my hunts have all been around 10k feet, the buddy heater seems very concerning to say the least. Which leaves cutting it and putting in a stove jack. Not sure I want to start with that as my option.

That is what was appealing about the range tent initially.

elkduds

WKR
I run a tanktop single burner propane heater in my Kodiak, have used it @10K w 0 issues. YouTube has videos of wood stoves in Kodiaks, stove jack is in sidewall. I have not had a lot of snow fall on my tent, but it is stout in heavy winds.

OP
M

mmac

WKR
Thanks again for the feedback, after thinking about it the straight walls have a lot of appeal and adding the stove jack is probably the best option for me. I may try a heater with a detector first though. Now have to decide whether 10x10 or the 10x14.....

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 10x14 spring bow it will fit three cots and a small table inside. Those extra four feet add a ton of interior space if your going to let other people stay with you. I've had good luck with a propane heater keeping it plenty warm.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking at the 12x12 cabin looks to be new. who sells a stove that will fit it

Beendare

WKR
My Take; a fully exposed to the elements canvas wall tent with frame can handle 40mph winds- barely. Typical setup for a wall tent you have some trees around to block the wind- then its not a problem except for window makers.

I have a 12x16 wall tent good for 4, and am picking up another 10x12 with interior aluminum frame this winter sometime- perfect for 2 guys with a stove.

OP
M

mmac

WKR
So you all have me looking very seriously now at the kodiaks. Does anyone have one if the koduak cabins and how does it compare in wind to the flex? The big awning looks helpful and straighter walls.

I’ve been stuck in the mud deciding between the 10x14 and the 9x12 with the enclosed porch.

I really like the idea of that enclosed porch for cooking and gear storage.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 10x10 range tent from David Ellis. I love it. Did require a bit of seam sealer on two small pin holes from the sewing of the stove hole, withstands torrential downpours now with no leaking whatsoever, and canvas just breaths better.

I see Kodiak just started making a 12x12 wall tent with the stove jack already installed. Comes with floor in it as well. Watched a video on it a couple days ago looks to be a good way to go if you want to run a wood stove.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That 12x12 looks pretty nice except I wouldn't want a sewn in floor personally. I like walking in to my wall tent with no worries about tracking mud in or having to sweep. That floor adds some weight. Guess that would be a good option for creepy crawlies if those are a problem in your area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd like it and the 8x8 annex that zips onto the front of it that I believe is floorless..to cook in and leave muddy boots and coolers

OP
M

mmac

WKR
I wrote to kodiak canvas and asked if they were going to add a stove jack and they said that the tents are not rated for heaters and they don’t recommend any type of heating device to be used with them. Soooooo now I am wondering if that is a material flammability issue and should I go back to something like the range tent or the herder tent