Montana Clarification

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I decided it might be wise to start buying points in a few more elk hunting states. I ended up buying a point for Montana since I read that a general tag is no longer a guarantee. This year, I logged on to read a little more about the points and seen a stipulation that if you do not purchase a license in a 2 consecutive year span you lose your points. So, my question is, can you even build points for Montana, or do you just purchase the year prior to your hunt to give yourself a better chance at drawing? I am not going to be able to hunt Montana this year so if I am understanding this correctly, my point I purchased last year was just a donation.

Brendan

WKR
Two types of points in Montana - Bonus points, and Preference Points.

Preference points help you in drawing the combo (general) tags and expire with the two consecutive year rule you referenced above.

Bonus points are for limited entry permits, per species, (not the general tags) and to my knowledge do not expire as long as you keep purchasing them or keep applying.

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. I am going to have to look to see what I bought last year but I am thinking I messed up.

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
Just remember you have to draw a general tag in order to be considered for the LQ permits. In other words you can’t just apply for an LQ permit. You have to apply for a general tag and if successful you can then be placed into the LQ permit pool.

Just remember you have to draw a general tag in order to be considered for the LQ permits. In other words you can’t just apply for an LQ permit. You have to apply for a general tag and if successful you can then be placed into the LQ permit pool.

Sekora, The above info is true. However you can still apply for a Bonus point for next year if you purchase before September. Also bonus points don't expire till you draw a tag. So you could buy a bonus point for the next few years before actually investing in a Elk combo tag if a LE tag is your thing. The other option which is way more expensive is to purchase a ELK combo tag every year and turn it back in if you don't draw a LE tag but that would Cost you about 250 a year since Montana only refunds 80% of the cost of your combo tag.
Additional info about bonus points:
  • Bonus points essentially offer you additional drawing chances and are used for the first hunting district choice only.
  • Existing bonus points will be mathematically “squared” prior to the drawing. That means if you already have 3 “base” bonus points those will be “squared” and you’ll then have 9 bonus points going into the drawing.
  • If you wish to participate in the Bonus Point program for licenses/ permits, at the time of your application, you must check “YES” on the Bonus Point questions and include the $20 (nonresident) or $2 (resident) Bonus Point fee per permit type. Then if you’re unsuccessful, you’ll be awarded an additional base bonus point for next year’s drawing.
  • If you did not apply for a license or permit you can purchase a bonus point for that license or permit from July 1st through September 30th. The fee to purchase a bonus point without applying is $15 per species for residents and the nonresident fees are $25 per species except for Moose, Sheep, and Goat which are $75 per species. Note: You cannot apply and purchase bonus points in the same year.
  • Any bonus points accumulated will not be lost unless the individual draws their first choice on the species they applied their bonus points.
Check Drawing Statistics to see how Bonus Points affect your chances.

2britts

FNG
I drew a NR Big Game Combo tag last year, had bought a preference point when I applied. My FIL had a point as well, was turned down initially but then drew a turned in tag. I read later on that because 25% of the tags were held for non point holders and because most applicants were buying a point that the odds were better without. My son went as well but on an over the counter youth tag.

Next year will be the last my son's eligible for youth status and I'm thinking about us going back. Current situation has me wondering if a large number of folks will be looking to put off until next year. I don't mind buying the $50 preference point on the chance we won't be able to go but would hate to get a second point at the time I apply next year only to have it actually hurt my chances of drawing. Anyone in the know have a thought on strategy? Apologies for the slight drift.

I drew a NR Big Game Combo tag last year, had bought a preference point when I applied. My FIL had a point as well, was turned down initially but then drew a turned in tag. I read later on that because 25% of the tags were held for non point holders and because most applicants were buying a point that the odds were better without. My son went as well but on an over the counter youth tag.

Next year will be the last my son's eligible for youth status and I'm thinking about us going back. Current situation has me wondering if a large number of folks will be looking to put off until next year. I don't mind buying the $50 preference point on the chance we won't be able to go but would hate to get a second point at the time I apply next year only to have it actually hurt my chances of drawing. Anyone in the know have a thought on strategy? Apologies for the slight drift.

Not sure I have this all straight but you say you bought a preference point last year and got a tag so you burned that point since you drew a tag. So if you buy a preference point this year (if not too late) but don't hunt and buy one next year when you apply for your combo you will have 2 preference points, is that correct?
My thinking is if you have 2 points next year you will be ahead of the game since everyone who bought a tag this year and drew and had also bought a preference point burned that point. I believe if you have 2 preference points
it should increase your chances greatly of drawing a tag next year. Many like me draw a tag with just one point but with 2 points I would think it would be almost a sure thing to draw.

2britts

FNG
Yeah, I bought the point for last year’s tag not really intending to do another trip anytime soon. Thing is I can take the kid back next season for not much more money than going alone, plus after that he’ll be in college. Next season would be the best time for us to go back if I can pull it off. I’m just trying to figure out if buying a point this summer and next year at application time will give the best odds of drawing. Normally you’d think so but the draw always seems to have some adventure, at least according to the outfitter we used. With travel being what it is this year I’m wondering how many people will be putting trips off until next season, which might throw a wrench in the works.

I’m thinking just spend the extra $50 now and just let things play out.

I’m thinking just spend the extra $50 now and just let things play out.

That appears to be your best option. You can't worry about what others might or might not do but you already know what should work best for you and your son.