Montana combo tags points

Hello, I have a question about reading the Montana draw odds for deer and big game combo tags ( elk and deer). We are wanting to do a deer hunt in Montana in 2023 and we’re planning on buying a Preference point before the preference point only period ends Dec31st. It looks like you would have around 54% of drawing with no points but then only a 17% chance with 1 point? Then for the combo it looks 73% with no points but doesn’t even show odds for one point. Just wondering if I’m missing something or if it makes no sense to others as well. Again I’m just asking about the general tags and preferences points no bonus points of LE units.
52f85209fca80dc4b5ef59aaa428b3c6.jpg

54e9ac26430921dc303e2d5611450e53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 2022 Deer Combo Drawing Stats.pdf
    399.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 2022 Deer Combo Drawing Stats.pdf
    399.3 KB · Views: 3

bsnedeker

WKR
In Montana 25% of combo tags are reserved for those with 0 points. The other 75% go to those with the highest points. So yes, if you have zero points you have a decent chance. If you have 1 point you have no chance as things stand today basically, which is why you aren't seeing 1 point odds....zero people with one point successfully drew last year is my assumption.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

If you buy a point you get punished and have to wait 2 years to draw, if you don’t and apply with 0 points you’ve got about 50% chance to draw. Because math

Erict

WKR
...Then for the combo it looks 73% with no points but doesn’t even show odds for one point. Just wondering if I’m missing something or if it makes no sense to others as well. ...

For the combo, those with 2 PP had 9336 applications for 9098 tags. So a handful of those with 2 PP did not draw, and no one with 1 PP drew (although it is possible and even likely that someone with 1 PP did draw if they were part of a group application with a group average of 2.000 or greater).

For 2023, you can purchase a PP with your license application, giving you 2 going in to the draw. You should consider doing a group application, where either every one draws or no one draws.

I was just on the phone with MT Fish and game. I have 2 points so I should draw but the fact that you get spiked because you have one point is laughable. LOL

slim9300

WKR
Are you saying that you bought a preference point in 2022 but did not apply for a general deer tag?

Last edited:

Taylord9

FNG
I was just on the phone with MT Fish and game. I have 2 points so I should draw but the fact that you get spiked because you have one point is laughable.
I was just on the phone with MT Fish and game. I have 2 points so I should draw but the fact that you get spiked because you have one point is laughable. LOL
Same, did they say how many apps there was with 2 points ?

Man I thought the same thing when I was reading that this year. I had 2 points and applied for a general tag. Thought it was laughable that I had a better shot with less points….