UPDATE!! Montana constitutional carry bill & the I'm pro 2A but" crowd.

S.Clancy

WKR
Me too. It would make for a more informed society about firearms and perhaps they would be less "scary" to the gun control left. It would also likely reduce the number of unintentionally inflicted firearm wounds/deaths by youth.
That's my thought too. Hard lefts are all about education, well let's educate everyone on firearm safety, just like vehicle safety.

ODB

WKR
Roach/Turbo, the problem is, courts have been very clear that 2A does not guarantee a right to carry in public. In fact, the Heller decision in 2008 was the first time SCOTUS read an individual right to bear arms into the 2A. You and I may disagree with the courts, but that is the state of the law in this country. Accordingly, carrying in public is a privilege according to the law as it currently stands.

There was a time when it was a part of the English Gentleman’s code to carry a small knife and a gun.

How the mighty have fallen...

I would support a bill that requires we had mandatory firearm training in elementary schools.
I had hunters safety in middle school. The DNR came in for one grading period during our PE class it was a requirement for everyone, no opting out. If you passed Hunters ed you got to go a field trip to the local State Park range and you were taught basic firearm safety and you got to shoot...this would have been 88 or 89 not that long ago....it used to be that way.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a "research" article that relates to this thread. I can assure you their research is flawed. For example, there are far, far more than 9.4 firearms per 1,000 people in WV. There are more than 9.4 firearms per family for most of the families where I grew up.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Passed it in OK and nothing happened other than we became more free than we were. The alarmists are 100% full of crap.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
I had hunters safety in middle school. The DNR came in for one grading period during our PE class it was a requirement for everyone, no opting out. If you passed Hunters ed you got to go a field trip to the local State Park range and you were taught basic firearm safety and you got to shoot...this would have been 88 or 89 not that long ago....it used to be that way.

I had Hunters Ed in 7th grade - that would be 1984 for me. It was a part of the health module in gym.

Here's my patch:

IMG_7612.jpg

mt100gr.

WKR
That hunter's Ed certificate is all you need for a carry permit now in MT. Visited the sheriff's office today and renewed mine. Even had to take my mask off for the picture....strange times but the $25 check I wrote seemed to be the most important part of the transaction.

That hunter's Ed certificate is all you need for a carry permit now in MT. Visited the sheriff's office today and renewed mine. Even had to take my mask off for the picture....strange times but the $25 check I wrote seemed to be the most important part of the transaction.
Hold on.... You still write checks??

Haha 😆

sneaky

"DADDY"
I had hunters ed in high school, about that same time frame. We got to go shoot skeet. Not. A. Single. Parent. Complained.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
Mandatory firearms training in schools? Huh....Uh no thank you. Thats a parental responsibility.

As far as schools go, the pledge of allegiance and some proper history classes would be a big improvement.

Carry...don't carry...to each their own..

Deadfall

WKR
Carried everyday for a decade n military. I still carry and have for a long time. Not getting a permit, havent even considered it.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
HB 102 is going forward after several failed attempts in the past! Congrats Montana on now being able to freely exercise your inalienable rights without a government permission slip!!!

Good on all the Montanans who made this happen!
Congrats Montana!!

Yarak

WKR
What really gripes me is that we have plain language in the constitution and we have elected officials that swear a oath to defend and/or uphold the constitution then do everything but what they e sworn to do
Then we have your average everyday citizen that thinks that maybe tweaking the constitution just a little to fit “my little idea of how things should be” will work for everyone
The framers of our constitution knew exactly what they were doing when they agreed upon its written form

Firearms are only second in importance to the constitution for they are the people’s liberties teeth
George Washington

How much clearer does it need to be

Sled

WKR
if gun safety were more pervasive in society then i wouldn't have a problem with people carrying. they problem is that without any training things can go wrong quickly. i took drivers ed and passed a test as a requirement to get a license when i was 15. if i were older i would have just needed to pass the written and driving test. i didn't complain and i actually learned a couple things. i just hope the millons of new firearms owners take the time to educate themselves before carrying. personally, i'm not opposed to some more youtube vids with people putting a hole in their foot. I just don't want them putting a new hole in my foot at the grocery store.

WCB

WKR
Anybody that thinks that passing a carry permit class means that the person that is certified has an actual idea of what they are doing is B.S. MN has an online course... they basically give you a document with the laws and definitions in you then quiz you on them. Go to the range and shoot a target 30 times and you are done. If you have basic reading comprehension skills you will pass the test.

More classes, certifications, required trainings are more ways to put barriers on law abiding citizens. I'm sure right now here in MN...the Minneapolis gang bangers all have their carry permits to make it legal to do a drive by.

Any body that says it will lead to the wild west is a moron.

I don't really understand the argument for being trained before you're allowed to carry a gun. I am way more likely to be hurt by a bunch of voters who couldn't pass a basic civics test or pay any taxes who still get the right to vote than I am by Lisa who just showed up fresh from her first gun store with a revolver in her purse.

I pay for training and am a hawk about gun safety and storage in my own home but wouldn't think of making either a prerequisite to defending yourself.