Montana coyote hunting?

Been searching the regs this morning but cannot find what I'm looking for, so hoping someone here can help me.. I assume I know the answer already, but need to make sure..

Headed to southeast Montana in a couple weeks to hunt muleys and my hunting partner has a thermal setup on his AR, so we're curious if we can set up a call and do some coyote hunting in the evenings.. do we need any license besides what we have for deer hunting? Any special rules we need to be aware of?

Or can someone just link me to where this is covered in the regs?

Have at it my friend! All is fair in love and war and coyote hunting in Montana.

Coyotes (pronounced kai-yotes) get no quarter in Montana!

If anyone has some time to burn, recommend YouTubing "Montana coyote hunting with dogs." There's a dude around Winnet (I think?) that uses dogs to bait kai-yotes in and shoots them with a rifle.

Hmm, I didn't see that you could use thermal and hunt at night in the reg book. I saw this and left my thermal at home when I went to Montana a few weeks ago. I guess it says game animal and they consider coyotes non game animals.
"It is unlawful for a person, while hunting, to use any electronic motion-tracking device or mechanism that is designed to track the motion of a game animal and relay information on the animal’s movement to the hunter. Motion tracking devices are defined by F&W Commission as remote operated camera or video devices capable of transmitting real time information, pictures or videos; seismic devices; thermal imaging devices; and satellite and radio telemetry devices."

Buzzy73

FNG
Coyotes are not considered a game animal. Anything goes here, a rig full of AR’s and spotlights makes for a good time. Just make sure you aren’t drinking and nobody cares. Get permission on private though.

hobbes

WKR
My worry with night time coyotes is there are cattle everywhere in this state, horses too. If you really know where you are, you can safely do it. I'd be concerned with someone not familiar with the area showing up at night winging .223 bullets into the darkness. No better way to make friends with a rancher than to put a couple holes in his cattle.

WCB

WKR
My worry with night time coyotes is there are cattle everywhere in this state, horses too. If you really know where you are, you can safely do it. I'd be concerned with someone not familiar with the area showing up at night winging .223 bullets into the darkness. No better way to make friends with a rancher than to put a couple holes in his cattle.
Not that it isn't a worry of course but out west is one of the places I would least worry about it. The cast majority of guys hunting at night will have thermal/NV or hunting full moons with snow so cattle and horses are easy to spot. On top of that most night hunters have scouted during the day and would know where cattle and horses are. I don't think I've seen or talked to anyone just winging it at night at random spots.

hobbes

WKR
Not that it isn't a worry of course but out west is one of the places I would least worry about it. The cast majority of guys hunting at night will have thermal/NV or hunting full moons with snow so cattle and horses are easy to spot. On top of that most night hunters have scouted during the day and would know where cattle and horses are. I don't think I've seen or talked to anyone just winging it at night at random spots.
Probably not, but something to think about for those folks that interpret the message that all is fair with Montana coyotes. Just load up the AR and start shooting. :).
I could have smoked a couple while pheasant hunting over the weekend. I just needed a rifle strapped to my back when they loped out of the coulees on two separate occasions to look at what disturbed their sleep. One of was a real looker, the other not as much. I'll give them a run come January.