Montana Draw Question

Hey all,
I seem to get the MT draw figured out every few years, only to forget everything I have learned. I just don't hunt there enough to have it fresh in my memory. I have three BONUS elk points in MT and was thinking of applying for the general tag with some friends who want to hunt a general unit. I know that PP are used for the general draw and bonus are used for premium units. My question is, with MT, is it possible to apply for a premium unit, likely not draw, then get the general tag? Are the premium unit draw/general tag draws simultaneous? If I decide just to apply for the general elk tag (not combo), will I still be able to buy a bonus point in the summer? Thanks for the clarification in advance.

Moneyball

WKR
Please do not take this as a smart*** response, but I would call Montana FWP and get a definite answer straight from them. Someone here may be able to give you an answer, but a call to MFWP to confirm wont hurt either way...

You buy the license. The permit to be able to hunt limited quota units is separate. Yes they draw at the same time. If you don’t draw the permit you can keep the license and hunt units where it is valid without a permit. Hope that helps. Good luck.

OP
Please do not take this as a smart*** response, but I would call Montana FWP and get a definite answer straight from them. Someone here may be able to give you an answer, but a call to MFWP to confirm wont hurt either way...

Didnt take this as a smartass response at all. Ironically, this was the reason for posting on Rokslide. I typically go straight to the source, which is what I did. I called FWP this morning when they opened, posed the exact question I asked on here, only to get "Please give _______ a call at x____ next week and he will be able to help you."

You have to first draw a general combo tag to get your name in the hat for the Limited Entry draws but the application for both happens at the same time. There are a handful of LE zones you wont draw if another bonus point and a general tag is the goal.

I would pay for a bonus point with your application if you want one. Last year (2018) they wouldn't let you buy one after the draw if you applied without buying one. Nor would they let you buy a pref point after the draw if you drew a general tag. This year they let me buy a pref point in the summer after the draw when I was already holding a general tag.. Their system is a clusterfook, so if you want a pref or bonus point, i'd recommend buying during the draw. Honestly the fact that they couldn't give you a straight answer over the phone doesn't make me confident they wont throw a different wrinkle in it next year.

Last edited:

Moneyball

WKR
Didnt take this as a smartass response at all. Ironically, this was the reason for posting on Rokslide. I typically go straight to the source, which is what I did. I called FWP this morning when they opened, posed the exact question I asked on here, only to get "Please give _______ a call at x____ next week and he will be able to help you."

Totally understand. I put in for MT draw every year and feel like I have to get a refresher course every time! Best of luck finding the answers you're looking for!

fatlander

WKR
The draw is broken into two parts:

The first part is drawing a non resident big game combo license(elk, deer, or both). Preference points help you draw those. If you only have 1 preference point you’re probably not going to draw next year, just being brutally honest. This year only people with two were guaranteed, so as point creep does it’s only going to get worse. You’re better off going in with zero points instead of one. 75% are awarded to highest point holders and 25% are awarded randomly to holders with zero points. 1 point will probably put you in no mans land this year, and if not this year definitely next year.

The second part is a bonus point draw for limited entry tags. Once the nonresident big game licenses are awarded, then they draw for limited entry. Your bonus points would give you more names in the hat for that draw. If you don’t draw your limited entry tag you can either give back your big game combo license or keep it and hunt the general units.

I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he has one pref point already he should be able to draw a general tag if he buys another when applying. I agree that one point might not be great this year, not sure it’s worse than zero yet. Will be interesting to see!

fatlander

WKR
If he has one pref point already he should be able to draw a general tag if he buys another when applying. I agree that one point might not be great this year, not sure it’s worse than zero yet. Will be interesting to see!

Yeah two pref points should still be ok. The OP didn’t say whether he had one already or not. I wouldn’t be applying with one preference point this coming year, I think the zero point random draw is going to have better odds. Speculating by what I was able to read, I’d say it was about 50-50 on 1 point holders drawing this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering, with all the grizz encounters that have taken place this fall in Montana, how will this effect the number of NR who put in for the general elk or elk-deer combo, my guess numbers will be down, seems like until these judges stop legislating from the bench, grizz will continue to have increased encounters in Montana , Wyo and Idaho.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
So you can buy another prefernce point in the spring before applying for a tag correct?

Yes our system and regs are a PITA. That's what happens when the state bureaucrats and elected committees of state legislature are woven into the fabric of FWP. But the simple answer is when you apply and put your money down on March 15, you have the option to purchase one bonus point for that species. "nonresidents must apply for a Big Game, Elk or Combo license when applying for a elk license " that's straight out of 2019 regs. I'm not even going to type the paragraphs on bonus points, its all online on their site

I would call region 3 head quarters and talk to the ladies there. They deal with this a lot being a college town. Plus they are pleasant most days. #406-994-4042

OP
Just wondering, with all the grizz encounters that have taken place this fall in Montana, how will this effect the number of NR who put in for the general elk or elk-deer combo, my guess numbers will be down, seems like until these judges stop legislating from the bench, grizz will continue to have increased encounters in Montana , Wyo and Idaho.

I dont think it will have any impact. For every person that doesnt apply for the tag because they are afraid of grizzlies, there will be at least one in their place. With the general tag, people also know that they can simply hunt a unit with lower grizzly densities or no grizzlies at all. The bottom line is that this tag will, like all the other western states, continue to be harder and harder to draw

Dear OP, if you apply for a permit area and draw, you still get the general combo tag and can hunt with your buddies in a general unit. If you apply for a permit area and don't draw the permit, but still draw the general, you can hunt with your buddies. If you don't draw the general you're SOL, but maybe can pick one up as a leftover.

People get mauled every year in MT. One year with what seems to be higher than normal concentrations in an area due to some dead cattle is unlikely to move the needle.

TheCougar

WKR

This is where I’m sitting... didn’t draw a general tag last year but bought a preference point. Then picked up a elk tag in the leftovers. I’m going into next years draw with 1 PP, plus the PP I buy at the time of application “should” guarantee a draw. I hope.

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
People get mauled every year in MT. One year with what seems to be higher than normal concentrations in an area due to some dead cattle is unlikely to move the needle.
This is not a one year deal....Grizz have been seen more and more, even in area's where they have not been seen in decades here in Montana. My guess is a whole lot of NR will put in for the limited district draws in the eastern part of the state, and there are only so many of these available, if not drawn for one of these, I believe a lot of NR will give their tags back to the state.