Montana Draw Question

bsnedeker

WKR
This is not a one year deal....Grizz have been seen more and more, even in area's where they have not been seen in decades here in Montana. My guess is a whole lot of NR will put in for the limited district draws in the eastern part of the state, and there are only so many of these available, if not drawn for one of these, I believe a lot of NR will give their tags back to the state.

This fear of grizzlies just boggles my mind...still WAY more likely to be killed by lightening than a grizz.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
This fear of grizzlies just boggles my mind...still WAY more likely to be killed by lightening than a grizz.

I think this fact is true when blanketed across all of the population as a whole, but when you spend a large percentage of your time hunting in/around bears you will eventually have a run-in. There isn't lightning with every storm, but there could be bears around any corner in the Gravelleys and Madison range...

Also just another thing to think about - i've never heard one person tell me they had a close encounter with getting struck by lightning, but can't even count on my hand the number of people/friends I've talked to that have had close encounters with bears.

bsnedeker

WKR
I think this fact is true when blanketed across all of the population as a whole, but when you spend a large percentage of your time hunting in/around bears you will eventually have a run-in. There isn't lightning with every storm, but there could be bears around any corner in the Gravelleys and Madison range...

Also just another thing to think about - i've never heard one person tell me they had a close encounter with getting struck by lightning, but can't even count on my hand the number of people/friends I've talked to that have had close encounters with bears.

I agree with you, however, there is a big difference between an encounter and an attack. I've personally never had an encounter, but all of my hunting buddies have. I stand by the fact that grizzly attacks are very rare. There were a handful more attacks this year but they are still very unlikely.

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
Statistically, yes, but if you are elk hunting in certain areas of Montana, Wyoming or Idaho during elk season, I am guessing your odds increase just a wee bit, just a guess, I have know people who have actually been stalked by grizz in Montana, something most do not want to go thru again. A lot could be solved by opening a season for them, a little re-education for 'em.

This is not a one year deal....Grizz have been seen more and more, even in area's where they have not been seen in decades here in Montana. My guess is a whole lot of NR will put in for the limited district draws in the eastern part of the state, and there are only so many of these available, if not drawn for one of these, I believe a lot of NR will give their tags back to the state.

I don't disagree that they are getting more prevalent in general. Attacks last year and increased prevalence isn't moving the needle in NR General Tag application though. Even if more people turn them in, there will be people competing to get them as leftover tags.

In 2015 I believe it was August when I bought my NR general tag OTC.
In 16 and 17 I don't believe I had any preference points to get my tags.
In 2019 applicants with 1 PP were only about 50% successful in getting a general tag.
Next year I would be shocked if 50% of applicants with 1 PP got a tag.

I don't think that is all folks just trying to get Eastern LE unit tags.

Wapiti1

WKR

I actually have been hit by lightening twice. It sucks. But I guess you are still correct in that it wasn't a close call, I was squarely demonized by those pesky electrons. Did I mention how it was the opposite of fun?

As for bears, I have not had any issues with them despite being around them a fair amount. I think it matters if you grew up around them or not.

As for the draw, it isn't that complicated. You put in for tags in MT, and then buy a tag in CO with the refund check. Simple, and you hunt every year.

Jeremy

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I actually have been hit by lightening twice. It sucks. But I guess you are still correct in that it wasn't a close call, I was squarely demonized by those pesky electrons. Did I mention how it was the opposite of fun?

As for bears, I have not had any issues with them despite being around them a fair amount. I think it matters if you grew up around them or not.

As for the draw, it isn't that complicated. You put in for tags in MT, and then buy a tag in CO with the refund check. Simple, and you hunt every year.

Jeremy

That does suck - you are the first person I've ever heard of.

I don't disagree that growing up around bears, specifically grizzly bears, helps to understand the situation and know what to do in certain instances...but if you're hunting in grizzly bear country 30+ days a season it doesnt matter if you grew up around them or not. I am sure plenty of people around here have heard/seen the story of Todd Orr....