Montana draw results

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you! Am I the only one who finds that odd? I hunt region 7 which seems to be mostly private. You would think it would be dispersed by region per regional biologist recommendation or at least prorated. It gets pretty crowded on state land! Am I missing something?
I guess I should have said, its whole state for units that are "OTC." It's not like Idaho where you have to pick your region or Washington where you pick east or west

Does Montana break it out by region for the general tags or is it the whole state?
There are certain regions where you aren't allowed to hunt with just a general tag. They aren't going to allow everyone to hunt The Breaks unit. The general tag covers a lot of the state though. You need to get the elk hunting book from Montana FWP and check your area you plan on hunting. Even the ones you can hunt with a general tag might have restrictions like "brow-tine, cow only, or spikes"

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

General combo for me. Anyone here draw the 900-20 series tag? Curious how many points it took.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TXCO

WKR
I drew along with my dad. Im happy to be able to do another elk hunt with him.

Airborne1

Lil-Rokslider
I also drew the 530 deer permit! I plan on being through that area quite a bit for work coming from White Sulphur Springs. How about you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see that there's only 500 permits, congrats to you!! I know nothing of the deer in that unit, I am guessing its pretty damn good?

jmav58

WKR
I see that there's only 500 permits, congrats to you!! I know nothing of the deer in that unit, I am guessing its pretty damn good?
I don't believe it's supposed to be a premier unit in MT. I think it holds a lower number of muleys than other areas of Montana and with not as much public land it's tough to get around. The reason I put in is because I'll be out there scouting fields for a large farmer and figured that there's a decent chance I'll bump into some good bucks on those farmed acres. Not terribly sure on any of that and with a tough winter it could be tough hunt, but I'll keep my optimism!

Airborne1

Lil-Rokslider
I don't believe it's supposed to be a premier unit in MT. I think it holds a lower number of muleys than other areas of Montana and with not as much public land it's tough to get around. The reason I put in is because I'll be out there scouting fields for a large farmer and figured that there's a decent chance I'll bump into some good bucks on those farmed acres. Not terribly sure on any of that and with a tough winter it could be tough hunt, but I'll keep my optimism!
Gotcha, well it sounds like you will have the right amount of scouting time and should have some good success. Best of luck to you!

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I am one of the lucky ones that drew the "released" combo tags. I couldnt figure out why nothing was showing for my permit draw, but it did show that I was given another bonus point.
What Im confused with is how I still have 1 preference point. I had 1 going into the draw and bought 1 this year. They apparently still use your preference point even though you dont draw in the initial part of the draw?

NDGuy

WKR
Unsuccessful for the combo here.

Good luck to all who drew.
Out of 5 members of my family that put in for the big game combo... ... 0 drew...
Feel free to join me in ND for my pity party. I didn't put in for WY since I figured I would be guaranteed to draw the big game combo with 1 point. I was only going to keep the deer combo if I didn't draw my elk permit.

I am dead inside right now as my ND odds don't look great either for a rifle tag. Might put in for OTC Archery or Antelope in MT.

At least give me something to do this fall.

NDGuy

WKR
I am one of the lucky ones that drew the "released" combo tags. I couldnt figure out why nothing was showing for my permit draw, but it did show that I was given another bonus point.
What Im confused with is how I still have 1 preference point. I had 1 going into the draw and bought 1 this year. They apparently still use your preference point even though you dont draw in the initial part of the draw?
I am still trying to figure out if I can buy a PP still even though I didn't buy one during my application process. Since I didn't draw anything I figured I would be able to buy another. I just didn't think I would need 2 to draw so I didn't want to throw $50 away.

Hindsight...

Feel free to join me in ND for my pity party. I didn't put in for WY since I figured I would be guaranteed to draw the big game combo with 1 point. I was only going to keep the deer combo if I didn't draw my elk permit.

I am dead inside right now as my ND odds don't look great either for a rifle tag. Might put in for OTC Archery or Antelope in MT.

At least give me something to do this fall.

I'm seriously wondering what is up with this and what the draw statistics actually look like. Was there seriously that much increased demand? Just seems nuts that everyone was predicting 100% draw odds with one point and were seeing this many people come away empty handed.

NDGuy

WKR
I'm seriously wondering what is up with this and what the draw statistics actually look like. Was there seriously that much increased demand? Just seems nuts that everyone was predicting 100% draw odds with one point and were seeing this many people come away empty handed.
I am not surprised tbh. GOhunt, Eastmans, hunt a fool etc all pimp out MT as easiest state to draw. Lot of public land, not terrible on cost etc. There were leftover combos every year 3-4 years ago. Western hunting has exploded in popularity over the last few years.