Montana draw results

I am one of the lucky ones that drew the "released" combo tags. I couldnt figure out why nothing was showing for my permit draw, but it did show that I was given another bonus point.
What Im confused with is how I still have 1 preference point. I had 1 going into the draw and bought 1 this year. They apparently still use your preference point even though you dont draw in the initial part of the draw?

That is odd.. would think you would have 2 or 0, either they used them or they didn't. Maybe they have it where they don't take the previous point because it didn't get you a tag but because you got a tag, you cant have one for this year..

What a cluster eff MT is.

I am not surprised tbh. GOhunt, Eastmans, hunt a fool etc all pimp out MT as easiest state to draw. Lot of public land, not terrible on cost etc. There were leftover combos every year 3-4 years ago. Western hunting has exploded in popularity over the last few years.

This is true. I guess I'm guilty of being part of that increased demand. After my first western hunting experience I can't get excited about deer hunting Ohio anymore. I know a lot of guys like myself, and guys like Rinella and Newberg haven't hurt either. It's a double edged sword, more western hunters mean more awareness of public lands issues, conservation, etc. But it also means more demand for tags.

Oh well, for now its going to be Colorado OTC for me I think.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
That is odd.. would think you would have 2 or 0, either they used them or they didn't. Maybe they have it where they don't take the previous point because it didn't get you a tag but because you got a tag, you cant have one for this year..

What a cluster eff MT is.

I was certain, and apparently wrong, that I applied with a preference point in the draw.
Looked it up through my emails and found out from my receipt. On another thought, I wonder if I can buy a preference point this summer?

From my receipt:

ELK PERMIT
Participating in Bonus Point System: Yes
Choice Opportunity Type
FIRST 380-20
Bonus point accumulated through 2019: 6
GENERAL - ELK COMBO
Participating in Preference Fee System: No
Bonus point accumulated through 2019: 1

I was certain, and apparently wrong, that I applied with a preference point in the draw.
Looked it up through my emails and found out from my receipt. On another thought, I wonder if I can buy a preference point this summer?

From my receipt:

ELK PERMIT
Participating in Bonus Point System: Yes
Choice Opportunity Type
FIRST 380-20
Bonus point accumulated through 2019: 6
GENERAL - ELK COMBO
Participating in Preference Fee System: No
Bonus point accumulated through 2019: 1

My interpretation of the following language is that you will not be able to buy a preference point.
Preference points for a nonresident big game, elk or deer combination license may be purchased for a nonrefundable fee of $50. Preference points can be purchased:

• at the time of application for the nonresident combination license; or
  • between July 1 and September 30 for individuals who did not apply for a nonresident combination license.
  • NOTE: You must apply for the nonresident combo the following year, or this point will be deleted.
Applicants may purchase only one preference point per license year. Preference points purchased at the time of application are awarded prior to the drawing.

fatlander

WKR
None of this makes any sense. Preference points are for preference [over anyone with less points]. That’s the whole dang point of spending 100 bucks extra going into the draw.

I’ve read the following scenarios:

-2 points and drew (my hunting party)

-2 points, didn’t draw but got released. Somehow kept 1 point?

-1 point and drew

-1 point, didn’t draw but got released

-1 point and didn’t draw

-0 points and drew

-0 points and didn’t draw

Does anyone know what actually happened and how MT allocated tags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brado16

WKR
None of this makes any sense. Preference points are for preference [over anyone with less points]. That’s the whole dang point of spending 100 bucks extra going into the draw.

-2 points, didn’t draw but got released. Somehow kept 1 point?

-1 point and drew

-1 point and didn’t draw

-0 points and drew

Check out Post #80

I drew Non Res BG Combo- 0 Points

fatlander

WKR
Check out Post #80

I drew Non Res BG Combo- 0 Points

That still doesn’t answer why some people with 2 points did not draw (picked up released) and some people with 1 point drew out right.

If 75% is preference point based. Everyone with two should have drawn before anyone with one drew.

-2 points, didn’t draw but got released. Somehow kept 1 point? Read above, the poster thought he had 2 points but only had 1. Didn't draw in PP pool so kept his point.

-1 point and drew

-1 point and didn’t draw

-0 points and drew

It's a hybrid preference points system. Something like 75% of the tags go to highest points, 25% go random to people without any points. The poster who previously said they had 2 pref points and got a released tag was mistaken and only had 1 point. I would guess the following is how it broke down (obviously likely varies by Deer, elk, or combo apps):
-All applicants with 2 PP drew
-There were more applicants with 2 and 1 PP than there were PP tags available, some 1 PP holders didn't draw
-Decent draw odds for people with 0 points drew from the 25% random pool which makes sense because most people wanting a tag this year probably bought a PP with their application so the pool with zero PP might not have been that big.

fatlander

WKR
It's a hybrid preference points system. Something like 75% of the tags go to highest points, 25% go random to people without any points. The poster who previously said they had 2 pref points and got a released tag was mistaken and only had 1 point. I would guess the following is how it broke down (obviously likely varies by Deer, elk, or combo apps):
-All applicants with 2 PP drew
-More applicants with 2 and 1 PP than there were tags available, some 1 PP holders didn't draw
-Decent draw odds for people with 0 points drew from the 25% random pool which makes sense because most people wanting a tag this year probably bought a PP with their application so the pool with zero PP might not have been that big.

That’s an absolute racket for the people that spent the extra 50. “Buy here for better chance to draw [unless everyone else does the same thing then you shouldn’t buy]”

I feel for the people that only had one point. Although I always thought being able to buy a preference point at the time of application was stupid anyway. Who couldn’t see that inflation coming? I mean for someone spending 900 bucks on a tag, what’s 50 more? It’s safe to assume everyone has 1PP so buying one the year before is the only way to ensure drawing (at least for this year). Next year people with two points may not draw. .

Shrek

WKR
I think some are confused about what Montana preference points do. They’re just extra chances in the draw not the guarantee of draw like some states. Very easy to have several points and not draw while have most of the draw go to no point holders.

fatlander

WKR
I think some are confused about what Montana preference points do. They’re just extra chances in the draw not the guarantee of draw like some states. Very easy to have several points and not draw while have most of the draw go to no point holders.

c5bddd6edecbac90c16f6a5365085701.jpg

Straight from MT FWPs website.

Here’s the link that distinguishes between preference and bonus points.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think you're confused about the difference between bonus points and preference points

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shrek

WKR
Maybe. I’ve not studied it closely but I understood it the way I wrote. Maybe someone who is familiar with the workings can write an article.

That’s an absolute racket for the people that spent the extra 50. “Buy here for better chance to draw [unless everyone else does the same thing then you shouldn’t buy]”

I feel for the people that only had one point. Although I always thought being able to buy a preference point at the time of application was stupid anyway. Who couldn’t see that inflation coming? I mean for someone spending 900 bucks on a tag, what’s 50 more? It’s safe to assume everyone has 1PP so buying one the year before is the only way to ensure drawing (at least for this year). Next year people with two points may not draw. .

I agree that it is a racket to have people with 0 points eligible for random tags that people who paid more are not. Should be 75% to highest point holders and a pure random for the other 25%.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider

That is my understanding of the system. I got a big game combo with zero points.

I do not like the uncertainty. I expect they will raise the prices by about 50 % since demand at current non resident prices is greater than supply. I support that if it brings it back to 100 percent certainty on getting a general tag. It is money going to a good cause.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is my understanding of the system. I got a big game combo with zero points.

I do not like the uncertainty. I expect they will raise the prices by about 50 % since demand at current non resident prices is greater than supply. I support that if it brings it back to 100 percent certainty on getting a general tag. It is money going to a good cause.
Maybe they should all go to the highest bidder then we'll know what value they hold to you guy

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Riplip

WKR
I agree that it is a racket to have people with 0 points eligible for random tags that people who paid more are not. Should be 75% to highest point holders and a pure random for the other 25%.

I am not sure if its a racket, but a way to combat point creep and keep new hunters or those hunters who have not point banked the opportunity to hunt MT. I personally prefer this to some of the other systems whereas if you didn't begin to buy points several years ago it is becoming much harder to draw general tags. Look at Wyoming, not too long ago a general elk tag was a given with zero points, and if current draw stats continue you will most likely need 3 points to draw a general tag.

Yes MT is confusing and is certainly not perfect, but then again no State has a perfect system and consistently has to react to increasing hunter demand.

sneaky

"DADDY"

BS. They already charge NR almost 30x the resident rate. You seriously want to pay $1500 for a general tag? Have at it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk