Montana Drawing Success

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
My Brother and I drew the 410-21 tag and now is where I begin planning...
We've never hunted the breaks but are prepared to have plenty of other hunters around as well as bugs and the chance of gumbo. With that being said, we plan on going either Sept. 21st-30th or the 28th-7th. There's a few questions I have stumbled upon while planning and was hoping to seek a little help. We will be coming thru havre and taking 66 to 191. I'm trying to find out where the nearest town for fuel is from the CMR. We are planning on taking a 16ft Jon boat (we don't have access to a jet boat) and I was looking at the Turkey Joes or Crooked Creek for launch options. Do any of you know if the launches get crowded? We plan to launch and go down river a ways and camp/hunt from shore. Should we expect to see a lot of other hunters camping on shore? I was also curious if the elk tend to stay closer to the river on dry years and on wet years hangout more in the breaks? I'm looking forward to spending a week hunting with my brother, September can't get here soon enough!! Hope you all were able to draw the tags you wanted for MT!

The last time I was down there the boat ramp at turkey joes was washed out and a pretty big bank there.

MT257

WKR
You can get gas in Winnett or at Bohemian Coerner if they are back open. You will se a few camps along the river camping like you stated you want to do. The elk are where you find them. There always seem to be some in the willows but sometimes being able get a clear shot could be difficult with as thick as it is in there.

Riplip

WKR
I've hunted 410 once, camped at Crooked Creek and hunted from a boat. As mentioned before, elk are where you find them, willows are really tough to hunt, I would find well traveled paths down to willows/water which is not really a secret as a lot of hunters attempt this. We put a lot miles on foot from the boat. Lots of glassing.

River/lake is no joke so take necessary precautions when running especially in the dark (a cheap spotlight was very helpful). Crooked Creek has a well and pump for water which is nice, we brought along the large plastic water carriers which worked out great. Boat ramp and campground wasn't particularly crowded when we were there (end of September). Lots of Sharptail Grouse around so bring a shotgun if you are into that, during down time. Also pretty good fishing from lake. Have fun, cool country.

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted 410 once, camped at Crooked Creek and hunted from a boat. As mentioned before, elk are where you find them, willows are really tough to hunt, I would find well traveled paths down to willows/water which is not really a secret as a lot of hunters attempt this. We put a lot miles on foot from the boat. Lots of glassing.

River/lake is no joke so take necessary precautions when running especially in the dark (a cheap spotlight was very helpful). Crooked Creek has a well and pump for water which is nice, we brought along the large plastic water carriers which worked out great. Boat ramp and campground wasn't particularly crowded when we were there (end of September). Lots of Sharptail Grouse around so bring a shotgun if you are into that, during down time. Also pretty good fishing from lake. Have fun, cool country.

Thats good to know Crooked Cr has a well. I've heard of many different tactics people have used, being that its our first time in the breaks we plan to put on a lot of miles and glass for elk and determine a game plan when we find some. Did you see any rattle snakes while hiking around? Ive heard some people say they aren't as bad towards the end of September but I don't know if that holds true?

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
The last time I was down there the boat ramp at turkey joes was washed out and a pretty big bank there.

Thats good to know, were you down there recently? I plan to call ahead time and get info on the launches before we head up there. Are the roads to turkey joes fairly good?

Riplip

WKR
Didn't see any snake, but I am sure they are around. Did see a mountain lion one morning which was pretty cool.

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses, it’s good hearing from people who have been down and experienced this area first hand. I know with the tag I drew we will have access to 417 as well but I’ve directed most of my attention to 410. I hopped on the CMR website last night and was impressed with the amount of info they provide on there. It looks like they release this years refuge specific regs today!

Scoot

WKR
I hunted in that area two years ago. I saw both rattle snakes and a mountain lion. Snake was inches from zapping me- I squealed like a little girl as I dove off to the side! Put on some miles, work hard, and you'll find elk. My advice- bring a decoy. It'll help get to and from areas where there is little cover.

DFLYFISH

FNG
my buddy and i both drew that tag this year. i have never hunted by the river, but plan to look into it this year.

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted in that area two years ago. I saw both rattle snakes and a mountain lion. Snake was inches from zapping me- I squealed like a little girl as I dove off to the side! Put on some miles, work hard, and you'll find elk. My advice- bring a decoy. It'll help get to and from areas where there is little cover.

The snakes are my biggest concern haha I’ve heard prairie rattlers are the most toxic but I’ve also heard that 85% of the time when they bite they don’t actually release venom. I will be bringing a decoy along, would I guy be fine using 10-42 on a tripod or is a spotter necessary? I’ve heard people having good luck with ground blinds and tree stands but I don’t plan to bring any along. Mainly plan on going up river, getting remote and logging some miles.

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
my buddy and i both drew that tag this year. i have never hunted by the river, but plan to look into it this year.

Congrats. Do you live close to 410? I’d really like to take a weekend a few months before season to go up and scout the area. Check the boat ramps and just get a better idea of the area.

DFLYFISH

FNG
nope. im in Cali. i do plan on fishing the MO in july. if that works out i will get in touch. would be very close for a scout trip. i also have a buddy who guides 417 and he drew a bull rifle tag after 42 years. he plans on doing a ton of scouting for his tag along with clients. Depending on where we end up hunting the unit i may have some more info to share. if i remember i will try to send you a PM.

bdud14

FNG
Anyone have success last year out there? Going to 410 for the first time on a father son DIY hunt and would love some pointers or any entry points would be great.

Anyone have success last year out there? Going to 410 for the first time on a father son DIY hunt and would love some pointers or any entry points would be great.

We went around Crooked Creek last year and saw lots of Elk. My suggestion is getting off the main road a few miles and setting up in one of the many draws. In my experience they use the draws/coulees to move between the feed grounds, water and beds. Setting up in one of those where there are signs of animal traffic in the morning or evening might be the ticket.

Good luck out there! I'm heading out there again for bow season and can't wait!

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Hey new here,
A friend use to own the Ft. Peck Marina and I thing they were the only ones who would come and get you kill and take it to the butcher.
Hhardrock