Montana elk app

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like there is confusion on the non-res montana applications after the change last year. Trying to get it figured out for planning purposes... Some sources (GoHunt) say you must apply every other year to maintain your preference point(s), but the state website makes it sound like you must apply in consecutive years or lose your them. Which is it?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
You must apply every year or lose preference points is what I was told by FWP. That isn’t to say their “understanding” hasn’t changed 😂 I’m not sure they understand the regs either.

OP
160andup

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
You must apply every year or lose preference points is what I was told by FWP. That isn’t to say their “understanding” hasn’t changed 😂 I’m not sure they understand the regs either.
Yeah, that was my understanding too, but the folks at GoHunt seem to think differently... Might be a lot of people losing points if they're relying on GoHunt for accurate info...

Gohunt isn't the licensing agency they are a social media company in it for the cash.

Id believe what the state game agency printed regulations say.

OP
160andup

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
I am 100% confident GoHunt is incorrect/out of date. Read THIS.
I agree, but wanted to verify.

That’s good info. Leave it as T/F for them to respond so they can’t misinterpret it… I love it!

fatlander

WKR
I talked to Hank Worsech , FWP Director, about this after the legislature put this crap through. At the time, he agreed there needed to be clear language and guidance about applying every year vs every other year. At that time, he wasn’t even sure of the legislature’s intent of the language in the bill.

He assured me that they (FWP) would figure it out and share at large. If they’re telling folks you need to apply every year to keep your points, apply every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
160andup

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
So a hypothetical, I have 1 PP but don’t want to draw this coming season, and obviously don’t want to lose my current point. I can apply without purchasing another point for 2023, go into the draw with 1 point, and LIKELY not draw. I won’t lose my point and then the following year in ‘24 could buy a point and enter the draw with 2, all the while never wasting money on thrown away points…?

fatlander

WKR
So a hypothetical, I have 1 PP but don’t want to draw this coming season, and obviously don’t want to lose my current point. I can apply without purchasing another point for 2023, go into the draw with 1 point, and LIKELY not draw. I won’t lose my point and then the following year in ‘24 could buy a point and enter the draw with 2, all the while never wasting money on thrown away points…?

2 points wasn’t 100% last year. You willing to roll those dice in 2024?

The only way to know you’re going to draw for sure in ‘24 is have someone apply with you that has zero and you buy your second so you average to 1. 1 point isn’t drawing in ‘23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk