Montana elk draw problem

So I heard the Montana elk draw was out so I went to look and it is. Mine says successful general elk combo (released), not successful elk combo. I am 99% sure that I clicked that I do want to keep my general tag if I did not draw my permit. Has anyone else ever had that happen or did I make a mistake? Also my friend who is going with me says that his did not say released under successful, but under not successful it said which permit it was and mine does not. I’m a bit confused and hopefully can get it straightened out.

eff10a02052c5116ff1f9b8902f5b897.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
Your good, you got a general tag that was released by someone else. Good luck on your hunt!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That would make sense! I really hope that you are right! I was really bummed out until I read this.

bsnedeker

WKR
That would make sense! I really hope that you are right! I was really bummed out until I read this.

Your good. I was a NR last year and had the same thing. You 100% have a tag.

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
I concur, same thing happened to me last year. You definitely have a tag! It is actually a great thing because you still retain your preference points!

OP
S
Perfect! Thank you both! Best news I have heard in quite a while with this crazy world we have been living in lately!

A released tag is a general tag that someone drew but did not draw their permit they applied for. They chose to return their general tag if they didn’t draw the permit.

NrthFrk16

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same happen to me last year, kept my pref point, bought another going into this year and drew again.

rambo2345

WKR
Dont want to hijack the thread but I also have a draw problem question and would appreciate knowledgeable input. We applied as a party and were unsuccessful but 2 of 3 received released tags. Shouldnt all 3 have received released tags if we applied all the same and as a party. Thanks.

bsnedeker

WKR
Dont want to hijack the thread but I also have a draw problem question and would appreciate knowledgeable input. We applied as a party and were unsuccessful but 2 of 3 received released tags. Shouldnt all 3 have received released tags if we applied all the same and as a party. Thanks.
I'd suggest you call fwp on that one.

I am a non-resident to Montana and applied as my first choice for the 900-20 permit. I didn't get the permit but I did drawl the general elk combo tag and I'm good with that. So now I know where I'll be hunting this year so long as the Covid 19 is half way cleared up. They are already talking about partially opening up the country so it does give me hope for a Elk season.

SHoug07

FNG
It was my first time applying and had the same outcome. Confusing at first, but pumped to do my first out of state hunt.

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider

The same thing happened to us last year. Two in our party got released tags, but one did not. What did people in your party apply for? For my party the one who didn’t get a license applied for big game combo and apparently not as many of those get released. It does not say it anywhere that I could find but the party application does not apply to released tags from my experience. I will PM you details on possibilities.

FNG
Looks like you got it sorted out. I’m jealous as I didn’t draw the general this year but I wish you the best of luck out there! I’ll still be out in Montana, helping my Dad chase his first bull.

Have a great hunt!