Montana elk hunt 2020

Darius G

FNG
I’ve hunted for 20 years for whitetailand small game in the eastern states. Recently me and a few buddies decided to do hunts out west every year if possible.
Last year we went to wyoming for antelope in rifle and we were all successful. This year we are headed to Montana 270-45 for archery.
Im looking for possible insight, not for hot spots per say that you guys have. But more so equip, what to look for scouting, items not needed that is dead weight.
I’m currently looking at buying a Garmin In reach explorer.
Any advice you’re willing to give us much appreciated.
thanks in advance.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
270 is a good unit with lots of country to hunt! Focus your summer scouting on finding the big herds of cows. Bulls will likely be at higher elevations during the summer but will move down to the cows once the rut starts. Clear cuts or burns are good areas to start looking for cows. Be sure to bring a good set of rain gear and an insulating layer! We recommend the Cloudburst rain gear and Kelvin Lite Down Jacket.

OP
D

Darius G

FNG
Thanks you, I been trying to look on google maps scouting wise. We are from Indiana so a scouting trip would be tough.
I’ve looked into the cloudburst jacket before and it looks really nice but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also remember that the eastern section is in a wilderness area which comes with a few extra restrictions. Non-motorized, no bikes, etc.

OP
D

Darius G

FNG
Ok thanks. We weren’t planning to bring anything motorized. We will be hoofing it

OP
D

Darius G

FNG
Yessir I have read it’s a killer mule deer unit. We are expecting heart break watching em already

wolfpup

FNG
I hunted 270 last year, 2019, for elk. Hunted the rifle season in late October. Saw around 100 elk on day 1. Several bulls and lots of cows. Had some encounters and close calls but didn't fill my tag. Didn't get an ethical shot all week. Was hunting with a friend who lives near Missoula and he has combat injuries so hiking and hunting deep off the road wasn't an option. Saw some really big mule deer in there, mountain lion, and grizzly tracks. I'd love to go in September during the rut. Saw some phenomenal areas and sign. Lots of sign. You should be in for a real treat!

OP
D

Darius G

FNG
I hunted 270 last year, 2019, for elk. Hunted the rifle season in late October. Saw around 100 elk on day 1. Several bulls and lots of cows. Had some encounters and close calls but didn't fill my tag. Didn't get an ethical shot all week. Was hunting with a friend who lives near Missoula and he has combat injuries so hiking and hunting deep off the road wasn't an option. Saw some really big mule deer in there, mountain lion, and grizzly tracks. I'd love to go in September during the rut. Saw some phenomenal areas and sign. Lots of sign. You should be in for a real treat!

Good deal that’s great to hear. I’m excited man. This will be our first and we are planning on a 2 week stay.