Montana Elk Hunt

CS0032

FNG
I’m wanting everyone’s opinion on whether to hunt during archery or rifle for elk in Montana. I’m efficient with either weapon, just haven’t hunted Elk in Montana before. Looking for pros and cons or advice. Thanks!

Jaker_cc

WKR
Hunt archery as often as you can during archery season, then if you don’t tag out you can go back and hunt as much as you can during rifle. Beautiful thing about Montana is you don’t have to choose, you can do both

I don't live in Montana either but may do both as I'm retired. But I would much more like to take a Elk during Archery so I wouldn't have to be away from Wife for so long (shuuu, it's really the dog I'll miss). Also it seems more special to me for some reason to take one with the bow. I look forward also to hear them bugle. I don't look forward to the bees and fly's though during archery.

codyj23

FNG
As long as you aren't hunting in the breaks, pressure during archery season is normally much lower. Public land during rifle season can get pretty crowded in spots.

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
Really depends on the area. Do both if you have the time and dedication, as time afield is the most important to success. I personally don’t archery hunt anymore too many people have ruined it for me in the area I now live, not to mention it’s become tough in parts of the state where predators are abundant, I also really hate hot weather and bugs. I drew a special permit this year so that may change as I know the big boys are out more during the rut, but I’ve also seen a lot of really big bulls shot in the snow with a rifle by dedicated people.
Really boils down to your standards of what you want in your hunt and potential harvest. I know so many guys who shoot the first legal bull they see irregardless of the weapon they use and that’s all they can think about I personally would rather either shoot a mature bull (300”+) or a cow. Bulls have a hard life and fewer bulls are making it to the big boy stage anymore. Needless to say I’ve shot a ton of cows, but I also have a 310” bull and a 348” bull hanging on my wall so life is great. I’m just happy I can still get out in the mountains, yard my crippled but up a hill and pack an elk out by myself. Best of luck in your hunting just remember it’s about the experience, getting to bring something home is just icing on the cake.

I'll be hunting elk in Montana for the first time as well! I'll probably be up there hunting September through the second week of October

As long as you aren't hunting in the breaks, pressure during archery season is normally much lower. Public land during rifle season can get pretty crowded in spots.
Last time I hunted the Breaks(2016) it was like the old days of unlimited archery tags, lots of camps, but I never ran into any other hunters. I would still suggest hunting both if you don’t tag out during archery.

406unltd

WKR
The challenges are the same during both seasons here as they are anywhere else. Hunt your preferred season, it doesn’t matter what anyone else likes better, its your hunt.

Brettboss

FNG
Hate to be pessimistic but it's going to be a shit show here this COVID year during any season...just like fishing in MT this year...even my secret spots are not a secret this year.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
i used to think there were less people hunting in archery season then rifle season, but i don't know anymore. a lot of times i feel like i can get away from people in rifle season easier now. theres usually more people in rifle season, but they don't seem to be going in as far or hunting as hard as bow hunters. not matter what you'll have company hunting public land in montana.

Brettboss

FNG
Yes, Montana is not isolated from the crowds like some believe. Success depends on how hard you want to work...last year's elk on opening day of archery was 7 miles back which is pretty typical. Would highly recommend out-of-staters be in shape and honest with their ability...especially in warm temps when shooting elk. Helped a guy here last year that wasn't after he mentally panicked on the first hill with a 100lb pack several miles from the truck.

KHNC

WKR
Stay away from the NW area. Very few elk.
Also, FYI, stay away from outfitters named cody carr.

Really boils down to your standards of what you want in your hunt and potential harvest. I know so many guys who shoot the first legal bull they see irregardless of the weapon they use and that’s all they can think about I personally would rather either shoot a mature bull (300”+) or a cow. Bulls have a hard life and fewer bulls are making it to the big boy stage anymore. Needless to say I’ve shot a ton of cows, but I also have a 310” bull and a 348” bull hanging on my wall so life is great. I’m just happy I can still get out in the mountains, yard my crippled but up a hill and pack an elk out by myself. Best of luck in your hunting just remember it’s about the experience, getting to bring something home is just icing on the cake.

MTRaine,

I love the idea of the conservative approach to taking only larger bulls. But I'm 70 now and have 6 elk hunts under my belt and never taken an Elk. I love to elk hunt but I'm not a great Elk hunter apparently. I don't know how many seasons I have left to Elk hunt so I will probably be among those who take the first legal Elk I see be it bull or cow. The few opportunities I've had with a bow never allowed me to turn loose a arrow at an Elk. All my hunts have been DIY as I could never really afford a guide and I like the Idea too of doing it myself. Every year I gain a little more knowledge and I'm more so trying to put that all together this year as much as my older mind will allow. I'm fighting the effects of age on my training, fighting the altitude and distance I have to drive etc. But at the same time I'm very thankful that I can still find my way from the East Coast, and in this case to Montana this year. The only real advantages I have are determination and in a way time. Now that I'm retired I can take more time to hunt. So my plan this year is to take a month or more to get an Elk. I may even hunt into the rifle season if I don't get one during archery. I'd really like to take it during archery season though. I had about given up on Archery at one point in time. But this year I started thinking again about giving archery a go. I bought a good used PSE Evoke 35SE. I couldn't pull but 50 # but thought if I can just work up to pulling 55# comfortably I might give it a try. So months later I am pulling 64.4# all be it not that comfortably yet but I can pretty comfortably pull 62 or so lb and practicing at 50 yards now somewhat successfully. I shoot my bow nearly every day and will continue. I had forgot how much I used to enjoy shooting a bow. I'm with in that I don't like the bugs and heat of the archery season but being in NC I'm forced to deal with the heat and humidity so Montana weather will probably still feel like somewhat of a relief from the NC heat that I have to train in.

But getting back to the OP's question of which season? Maybe try a little of both. If I understand correctly there are several units in Montana where one can rifle hunt the 15th of Sept? So maybe show up the 10th. Archery hunt for a few days while you scout and pick up the rifle after that if you so desire? But if you plan on Archery I'd be out shooting my bow some right now. Making sure your bow is tuned and your broadheads group. Archery requires more practice and skill. Sharpen and keep sharp your broadheads. If you don't have the time to spend at it to do it right,. you best go Rifle.

Last edited:
I'll be chasing elk for the first time with my bow in Montana too. I have very little idea where to look for elk, so any pointers would be appreciated. Good luck this season!