Montana elk hunting is about to take a dive

Legend

WKR
Giving the general public a chance to brainstorm ideas would be a good starting point. Would take some time and lots of public hearings, at least everyone would feel involved. I know communication sure goes along way in the rest of my life. Not sure why it wouldn't work here.

If everyone is worried about revenue why not change the amount of fines. Base it off a percentage of annual income. trespassing a set percentage, hazing with aircraft, poaching, hunting without a license, waste of game. Basing off a percentage levels the playing field across the board.

10,000 bucks for hazing isn't much for people who make millions a year. Even though it is to someone like me. 40 percent sure is a deterrent. Same for poaching or trespassing. Have some kind of stipulation for first offense, second and so on.

If landowners want tags I completely understand that. Some places there should be tags. I have no problem with landowners having tags. Let it be a draw, and make it illegal for landowners to charge any kind of fee. If hunters violate the private land, make the penalty severe. Also make sure the landowners can't violate the hunters, as that penalty should be severe. Put the extra 300 bucks on these tags and send that money into the BMA fund.

Put more money into BMA and pay landowners who participate in BMA more money. If they don't want to participate in BMA that's their right.

BMA seems to work for Sieben, hutterites and many others.

All outfitters should have to be licensed through state whether on public or private. Let outfitters that work on private land pay fees just like the public land guys do. Throw that money into the pot.

All said and done maybe game wardens could even have a raise as they have one of the most thankless jobs there is.

Whatever happens it needs to be public generated and conservation based. Not this back room whispering nonsense.
Block management land will disappear if 505 gets signed. Why would you allow the general public to hunt if you get 10 elk tags to sell.

Giving the general public a chance to brainstorm ideas would be a good starting point. Would take some time and lots of public hearings, at least everyone would feel involved. I know communication sure goes along way in the rest of my life. Not sure why it wouldn't work here.

If everyone is worried about revenue why not change the amount of fines. Base it off a percentage of annual income. trespassing a set percentage, hazing with aircraft, poaching, hunting without a license, waste of game. Basing off a percentage levels the playing field across the board.

10,000 bucks for hazing isn't much for people who make millions a year. Even though it is to someone like me. 40 percent sure is a deterrent. Same for poaching or trespassing. Have some kind of stipulation for first offense, second and so on.

If landowners want tags I completely understand that. Some places there should be tags. I have no problem with landowners having tags. Let it be a draw, and make it illegal for landowners to charge any kind of fee. If hunters violate the private land, make the penalty severe. Also make sure the landowners can't violate the hunters, as that penalty should be severe. Put the extra 300 bucks on these tags and send that money into the BMA fund.

Put more money into BMA and pay landowners who participate in BMA more money. If they don't want to participate in BMA that's their right.

BMA seems to work for Sieben, hutterites and many others.

All outfitters should have to be licensed through state whether on public or private. Let outfitters that work on private land pay fees just like the public land guys do. Throw that money into the pot.

All said and done maybe game wardens could even have a raise as they have one of the most thankless jobs there is.

Whatever happens it needs to be public generated and conservation based. Not this back room whispering nonsense.
Amen to all that brother! In Iowa, interference with legal hunting carries steep penalties.

Criminals don't tend to follow the law anyways, but increased fees are a good first step, with loss of hunting privileges for 1 or more years and potential real jail time even better deterrents.

In Iowa the DNR is wholly self-funded through licenses and other fees. If the same is true in MT, I totally agree that funneling this money back into the department for use in programs and improved compensation for employees would be smart.

S.Clancy

WKR
More amendments released today. Still a godawful bill.

My comment is based on the change in Section 1 of the bill, does this change make it apply to special elk tags also? The way I read the ammendment is they can get up to 5 tags in any unit (general or special), with no language suggesting that any of those tags will need to be drawn?
If true, then the amendments perhaps made the bill worse.

Wasn't this bill supposed to be voted on today?

Deadfall

WKR
My comment is based on the change in Section 1 of the bill, does this change make it apply to special elk tags also? The way I read the ammendment is they can get up to 5 tags in any unit (general or special), with no language suggesting that any of those tags will need to be drawn?

Possibly today. If today, vote will be in next couple hours

OP
finner

finner

Lil-Rokslider

They're heading into the hearing now. Yeah the commission would have to approve that, but given how the governor and legislature is trying to stack the commission for landowners, that's all but certain.

S.Clancy

WKR
They're heading into the hearing now. Yeah the commission would have to approve that, but given how the governor and legislature is trying to stack the commission for landowners, that's all but certain.
Kinda what I figured. Fingers crossed, but I'm guessing this makes it thru today. Then I guess we need to keep it from getting to Greg's desk.

Deadfall

WKR
Kinda what I figured. Fingers crossed, but I'm guessing this makes it thru today. Then I guess we need to keep it from getting to Greg's desk.
Not sure what everyone else will do. If this thing gets out of committee. It will be a full frontal assault from me. I will be calling and emailing everyone in legislature every day. Miggt even take a few days off just to beat up their ears.

Does this mean they can’t sell the tag?

landowner does not qualify. To be eligible, a landowner
24 may not accept monetary consideration from the license applicant for the sponsorship or for providing any
25 services or assistance to the applicant except as provided in Title 37, chapter 47, and this title.
26 (3) Licenses issued pursuant to this section are in additio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
finner

finner

Lil-Rokslider
Hot damn. A HUGE thanks to everyone who called and emailed the committee and the big players. I am impressed as this seemed impossible!!
She’s not dead yet, but yeah. My thanks to everyone who called. If you need any elk hunting advice in MT, I’d be happy to help.

The landowner majority on the commission bill died too. A good day for the hook and bullet crew in Montana!

giphy.gif

Nice job fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk