Montana elk hunting is about to take a dive

S.Clancy

WKR
Yea, I can't stand Gianforte. From his anti-public land, public access BS all the way to watching him literally try to shoot a moose on county highway/bi-way in SW MT 2 years ago. The guy is a complete clown.

Billinsd

WKR
Yea, I can't stand Gianforte. From his anti-public land, public access BS all the way to watching him literally try to shoot a moose on county highway/bi-way in SW MT 2 years ago. The guy is a complete clown.
You witnessed him try and shoot a moose on a county road two years ago? Is this the same guy? If so, someone is s lying clown. PS. A photo is woth a thousand words.

S.Clancy

WKR
[/QUOTE
You witnessed him try and shoot a moose on a county road two years ago? Is this the same guy?
Yup, same guy. We were elk hunting SW MT ( late Sept) and had spotted a 6x6 bull and some cows bedded on a BMA. On the way down the road to drive around to access the bull we had a really nice bull moose walk across the road in front of us, so I stopped and called to see what he did. The bull crossed the road and I drive past about 80 yards from the moose was ol Greg set up on a bipod next to a reflector post 10 ft of the highway. I'm assuming had he not heard the vehicle that bull would have been the one in the article above.

Yeah I think this one might stick though, given that it's being carried by the Speaker of the House. Also heard that Gianforte has directed FWP to openly support it
Did you hear this as gossip or is there published or recorded information on Governor’s stance behind HB505?
Have you called or wrote to the senate F&G committee expressing your view on the bill?
Your throwing around some very vague and extreme opinions on never being able to shoot a big bull on public land again. Are you a resident of Montana who is going to try to make a change or just write on a Internet forum where most people don’t give two scats?

Billinsd

WKR
"Yup, same guy. We were elk hunting SW MT ( late Sept) and had spotted a 6x6 bull and some cows bedded on a BMA. On the way down the road to drive around to access the bull we had a really nice bull moose walk across the road in front of us, so I stopped and called to see what he did. The bull crossed the road and I drive past about 80 yards from the moose was ol Greg set up on a bipod next to a reflector post 10 ft of the highway. I'm assuming had he not heard the vehicle that bull would have been the one in the article above."

So, you witnessed him shoot that moose? So, he wasn't still hunting the bottom lands? Why would he be set up on the side of the road? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm curious? Was what he was doing illegal or was the issue how he was hunting and that he lied?

mmw194287

WKR
Did you hear this as gossip or is there published or recorded information on Governor’s stance behind HB505?
Have you called or wrote to the senate F&G committee expressing your view on the bill?
Your throwing around some very vague and extreme opinions on never being able to shoot a big bull on public land again. Are you a resident of Montana who is going to try to make a change or just write on a Internet forum where most people don’t give two scats?

I've written to the relevant committee and my legislators. I am a Montana resident.

I've been told to expect that the new FWP chief submit testimony in support of this bill. I hope it's not true, but I have no evidence or suggestion to suspect otherwise. Not sure why you're attacking this guy for passing along something that he's heard.

Do you have any "published or recorded information" to suggest that Gianforte isn't supportive of HB505?

S.Clancy

WKR
"Yup, same guy. We were elk hunting SW MT ( late Sept) and had spotted a 6x6 bull and some cows bedded on a BMA. On the way down the road to drive around to access the bull we had a really nice bull moose walk across the road in front of us, so I stopped and called to see what he did. The bull crossed the road and I drive past about 80 yards from the moose was ol Greg set up on a bipod next to a reflector post 10 ft of the highway. I'm assuming had he not heard the vehicle that bull would have been the one in the article above."

So, you witnessed him shoot that moose? So, he wasn't still hunting the bottom lands? Why would he be set up on the side of the road? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm curious? Was what he was doing illegal or was the issue how he was hunting and that he lied?
He didn't shoot that moose because my car was behind it. He was set up next to a reflector post on the side of the highway with his gun on a bipod pointed at the moose, with my car behind it. I don't know how he killed the moose he did, that happened the next day per the article in the paper.

I've written to the relevant committee and my legislators. I am a Montana resident.

I've been told to expect that the new FWP chief submit testimony in support of this bill. I hope it's not true, but I have no evidence or suggestion to suspect otherwise. Not sure why you're attacking this guy for passing along something that he's heard.

Do you have any "published or recorded information" to suggest that Gianforte isn't supportive of HB505?
No, I have no published or written information on Greg G. I am not attacking the OP, just asking. Publishing non factual information helps nobody. Hear say is just that.

Sioux33

FNG
I knew it was gonna get bad for DIY hunters if GG took office, but didn't think it'd ever get this bad. It's an all out assault to give everything to the outfitters and big money landowners.

Take the Andrew McKean ordeal. At the testimony, he had overwhelming support and there wasn't one single person that testified against him. What happened? He gets voted out to pave the way for one of GG's cronies and all the legislators said was the Governor wants to go a different direction, so that's what they're gonna do. Unbelievable.

I too am getting a little concerned that there's not more chatter on this bill. Seemed like everyone was all fired up over SB 143 and they're overlooking this one. This will kill block management and turn MT into the next TX. We need to get the masses to hammer on these legislators!

I have a phone call scheduled tomorrow w/ the acting chairman of the MT Fish & Game commission. I was not aware of this legislation and it is not the purpose of the phone call but I will definitely be asking him about it now. Thanks to the finner for bringing this to light because like sioux33 mentioned this has not had any fanfare like SB 143.

Deadfall

WKR
I have a phone call scheduled tomorrow w/ the acting chairman of the MT Fish & Game commission. I was not aware of this legislation and it is not the purpose of the phone call but I will definitely be asking him about it now. Thanks to the finner for bringing this to light because like sioux33 mentioned this has not had any fanfare like SB 143.
I've posted it all over on here and other places. Noone seems to fired up about it.
Most years I spend 4 or 5 hours a week during the first part of sessions sending emails. This year it's been a couple hours every night.

Where did all the conservatives go. Republicans dang sure aren't conservative anymore.

I've posted it all over on here and other places. Noone seems to fired up about it.
Most years I spend 4 or 5 hours a week during the first part of sessions sending emails. This year it's been a couple hours every night.

Where did all the conservatives go. Republicans dang sure aren't conservative anymore.
I agree with you here. Im a landowner, was once on a committee with RMEF, SCI member and people are not that fired up or opposed HB505. I have wrote to all on the commission and to my direct local reps. Its landowner welfare and theft of a public resource. I am a Montana conservative who cannot stand our current political field.
As to the choice of the lesser of two evils for the MT Governorship this year, we were all screwed from the get go.

Deadfall

WKR
I agree with you here. Im a landowner, was once on a committee with RMEF, SCI member and people are not that fired up or opposed HB505. I have wrote to all on the commission and to my direct local reps. Its landowner welfare and theft of a public resource. I am a Montana conservative who cannot stand our current political field.
As to the choice of the lesser of two evils for the MT Governorship this year, we were all screwed from the get go.
Yes we were/are

Deadfall

WKR
I will say, I have received some positive responses via email. Mesning there are many in our congress that are just as frustrated. Just not enough Republicans with spines. Which seems fairly standard for Republicans at all levels.

OP
finner

finner

Lil-Rokslider
Hahah this is good. First off, the bill is assigned to the House Fish, Wildlife and Parks committee. Yeah, I've written and called every rep on the committee. No there's no published or recorded information of the governor supporting a bill that hasn't made it to committee yet, but that isn't exactly how the legislative process works. But if the Montana FWP director says he's going to support the bill (which he has in public meetings) then that means Gianforte supports it. Gianforte has prohibited the department from supporting or opposing any other bills this session.

Yeah, I'm from Montana. I keep my eyes open, and don't blindly support candidates and politicians. You should probably slow your roll and do your due diligence before leaping to the defense of your boy Greg without looking.

OP
finner

finner

Lil-Rokslider
I doubt Tabor will do anything. As an outfitter, he's part of an industry that would stand to profit under this bill. Call reps on the House FWP committee and tell them to stop screwing with elk

Legend

WKR
This bill is the most depressing bill this session. Galt should be ashamed to call himself a Montana rancher. Unless organized groups pushback some version of this bill will pass....and elk hunters, ranching, farming, etc.. will all loose to the wealthy.

SB 143, the outfitter set-aside bill, is going to die because so many people got engaged on it. This bill is an order of magnitude worse for DIY Montana elk hunting, and nobody is talking about it.

This is just reps acting in their own self interest. Wylie Galt and other crazy huge landowners would stand to make hundreds of thousands of dollars if this went through...

Good luck shooting a big bull on public land if this bill passes.

I will send an email or two. Not sure how much they care to hear from non-residents but I will try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
I will send an email or two. Not sure how much they care to hear from non-residents but I will try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Individual no voice matters. If they all get several thousand emails...that will matter..look at what it did to 143.