Montana elk hunting is about to take a dive

Deadfall

WKR
Without a doubt. Kicking McKean off, adding an outfitter with a long history of citations (for illegal outfitting, among other things) and stacking the deck with PERC board members, oil and gas and ranchers. If they didn't get what they wanted in the session for elk management, they'll ram it through with the commission. It was tough enough to get hunters heard in those meetings when we had a few friendly faces on the Commission, now we'll have one.
Doubt we have that for long if a couple of these guys don't get removed

Deadfall

WKR
Without a doubt. Kicking McKean off, adding an outfitter with a long history of citations (for illegal outfitting, among other things) and stacking the deck with PERC board members, oil and gas and ranchers. If they didn't get what they wanted in the session for elk management, they'll ram it through with the commission. It was tough enough to get hunters heard in those meetings when we had a few friendly faces on the Commission, now we'll have one.
Atleast on of them does not even live in region he is supposed to be representing. Owns land in the region, but does not live there.

Legend

WKR
Damn that is not good news. I will get a full list of Republicans and start calling and emailing first thing. I thought there was a chance Galt would listen to the people.

Quick update from the Montana Wildlife Federation:

Landowner Sponsored Elk License Bill Goes Nowhere

We had heard there would be an effort to revive HB 505, sponsored by Rep. Wylie Galt, R-Martinsdale. The bill was tabled last week in a 9-9 vote in the House FWP committee. Anticipating it might come back, MWF worked with our affiliates and conservation partners to put together this letter urging legislators to permanently kill this idea, and work toward some better solutions to address elk populations that are over the objective population. It was a strong statement from a broad coalition of sporting groups, and it seems to have been effective. We’ll continue to monitor this bill to ensure its flawed ideas don’t resurface.”

Deadfall

WKR
Quick update from the Montana Wildlife Federation:

Landowner Sponsored Elk License Bill Goes Nowhere

We had heard there would be an effort to revive HB 505, sponsored by Rep. Wylie Galt, R-Martinsdale. The bill was tabled last week in a 9-9 vote in the House FWP committee. Anticipating it might come back, MWF worked with our affiliates and conservation partners to put together this letter urging legislators to permanently kill this idea, and work toward some better solutions to address elk populations that are over the objective population. It was a strong statement from a broad coalition of sporting groups, and it seems to have been effective. We’ll continue to monitor this bill to ensure its flawed ideas don’t resurface.”
Think they oppose almost everything don't they?

Think they oppose almost everything don't they?
Sometimes. I’ve followed them for years, and I think they generally like things to move and change slowly, so they generally oppose bills that are drastic paradigm shifts. I’d say they don’t always hit the mark, but their batting average is pretty good and since they are legally allowed to be politically active they do more than groups like RMEF can since those groups are restricted in how political they can be. All in all I’ve been pleased with their representation of sportsman in MT. No group is perfect, kind of deal I think.

Deadfall

WKR
Sometimes. I’ve followed them for years, and I think they generally like things to move and change slowly, so they generally oppose bills that are drastic paradigm shifts. I’d say they don’t always hit the mark, but their batting average is pretty good and since they are legally allowed to be politically active they do more than groups like RMEF can since those groups are restricted in how political they can be. All in all I’ve been pleased with their representation of sportsman in MT. No group is perfect, kind of deal I think.
About what I was hoping you would say

OP
finner

finner

Lil-Rokslider
RMEF and MWF are the same type of nonprofit-501c3. RMEF doesn’t have any legal restrictions for getting involved on bills like this. They choose not to, because their big donors wouldn’t like it. At least MWF listens to their rank and file members.

RMEF and MWF are the same type of nonprofit-501c3. RMEF doesn’t have any legal restrictions for getting involved on bills like this. They choose not to, because their big donors wouldn’t like it. At least MWF listens to their rank and file members.
I stand corrected! I was under the impression they were c4, and I guess that’s because they tend to be more politically active than the other c3 groups. I guess that just goes to show how much more engaged they are than the other groups. It’s striking to see the disparity in engagement between MWF (2018 total revenue around $800k) and RMEF (2018 total revenue around $66 mil), particularly when looking at their publicly available tax filings. I digress- regardless of their tax status- MWF does try and do right for an array of outdoor uses, much like they did by opposing HB505.

tam9492

WKR
Update: this bill has been tabled and ultimately failed due to a missed deadline.