Montana Elk Tag - No Leftover Allocation for 2019

IdahoClay

FNG
Anyone know why Montana isn't distributing any leftover returned general elk tags for 2019. They have in previous years and did reallocate unclaimed or turned in deer tags.

Cuz their system messed up this spring and they charged a ton of people for tags that didn't exist so instead of returning their money they just printed them tags and mailed them out. So there is a ton of extra tags that got sold that weren't supposed to be...hence why none going back on the market do to being too many sold to begin with. Hope this helps

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
^this

I called MT FWP and was told there was “a computer glitch” that accidentally oversold a bunch of tags......

Yep they oversold tags. How that’s possible in this computerized day in age is beyond me. MT FWP is the most unorganized of any state. I’m really happy about that because it steered me to Wyoming and I love it down there!

Man...Montana is a great state and there are great hunting opportunities there but MT FWP is a disaster. It needs to be a mandatory fix but not sure how exactly that will happen.

It was a third party company that operates the tag sales and ultimately the mass amount of website traffic the morning of the surplus sale caused a crash. I was charged roughly $4900 in charges for elk tags that I didn’t even receive. The state made it right and offered tags to the people who attempted to purchase a tag prior to the sellout that took around eight minutes to happen. From what I understand they are working with the company to make sure they are able to handle the website traffic and prevent future crashes.

Surplus sales??? You don’t buy them you submit an application and then the drawing takes place same as any other year... same as any other state.

OP
IdahoClay

IdahoClay

FNG
Dos Perros that's interesting because FWP indicated on its website that the Big Game Elk general left over/unclaimed licenses were not going to be reallocated. They did allow unsuccessful applicants to sign up for leftover deer licenses and then distributed them based on a draw process.

What I don't understand is how they can over sell the licenses and still have people be unsuccessful in the general draw. This is the first year that MT had more draw applicants for the big game tags than available tags? I'm suspicious.

tntrker

WKR
Remember, there was a "glitch" last year that delayed the drawing results a week....Seems they'd get a handle on that at some point..

Dos Perros that's interesting because FWP indicated on its website that the Big Game Elk general left over/unclaimed licenses were not going to be reallocated. They did allow unsuccessful applicants to sign up for leftover deer licenses and then distributed them based on a draw process.

What I don't understand is how they can over sell the licenses and still have people be unsuccessful in the general draw. This is the first year that MT had more draw applicants for the big game tags than available tags? I'm suspicious.

You're referring to the second round of leftovers. I bought my leftover tag in June some time I think? I had until August 15 to return that tag and get a refund (80% I think). Had I done that, in previous years the tag would have been offered for sale again. This year it wouldn't have been offered.

Why can't this happen to me in a state like Arizona or Utah. I guess it did happen in AZ a while back but I wasnt in on that round...

OP
IdahoClay

IdahoClay

FNG
You're referring to the second round of leftovers. I bought my leftover tag in June some time I think? I had until August 15 to return that tag and get a refund (80% I think). Had I done that, in previous years the tag would have been offered for sale again. This year it wouldn't have been offered.
That's a regular draw.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a regular draw.
Montana you have to draw a regular permit then can apply for a specia unitl tag if that's not drawn you can return the regular permit for a 80% refund. In prior years those permits were reissued this year they were not.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk