Montana elk

Just put in for my elk tag today for Montana super pumped this year will be my first elk hunt if I get the tag anyone else headed to Montana in September

Sammymusi

WKR
I'm hoping to be there as well first time ! Going in with a group of 4 of us so fingers crossed. Heads spinning trying to prepare for the trip learning , listening to as many elk talk podcasts as I can !

I suspect Montana will be a more popular destination this year than normal. I plan to try to go myself for the first time. Been to Colorado, Utah and Idaho. Might as well go to Montana too. Probably best to have a back up plan though. If I was a bettin man, I'd bet the general draw Elk and Elk combo tags will be a sell out this year.

Wapiti1

WKR
MT hasn't had any leftover general elk tags for quite a few years. That ship sailed. Once the tags are gone, "No elk tag for you, one year".

I'll be back home, but for late rifle this year instead of archery. Another hunt filled up my September.

Have fun.

Jeremy

OP
Bdubwright23
I suspect Montana will be a more popular destination this year than normal. I plan to try to go myself for the first time. Been to Colorado, Utah and Idaho. Might as well go to Montana too. Probably best to have a back up plan though. If I was a bettin man, I'd bet the general draw Elk and Elk combo tags will be a sell out this year.
Yea if I don't draw I'm going to Colorado

OP
Bdubwright23
MT hasn't had any leftover general elk tags for quite a few years. That ship sailed. Once the tags are gone, "No elk tag for you, one year".

I'll be back home, but for late rifle this year instead of archery. Another hunt filled up my September.

Have fun.

Jeremy
They had almost 400 tags leftover Las year in May

Have fun.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Actually the 2017 Montana general season draw tags sold out! But their were leftovers in 2018 and 19. So it hasn't been too long since a sell out. 500 Folks that entered the draw in 2017 didn't get a tag that year. Still, even if Montana is a sell out, I suspect odds would be upwards of 90% + chance of drawing if you enter. Maybe it's just cause I'm thinking to go there but I see more than the usual numbers of hunters online looking at Montana this year and some as their first Elk hunt anywhere.
April 1 this year is the deadline. I'm just waiting for my income tax direct deposit to hit the bank before I enter the draw.

Wapiti1

WKR
I didn't know that. Must have been a lot of tags turned back.

The draw odds were under 100% for both years, so all tags were drawn that were possible. Hence my incorrect assumption of no leftovers.

Jeremy

Got through after 34 min on hold. Good luck to everyone in the draw

A buddy and I are both going in with 2 NR Combo PPs and have deposits down to hunt some private land outside of Missoula

Last edited:
Put in for my first elk tag yesterday. Have a hunt scheduled for first week of rifle season or around there. This will be my first foray into the mountains and hoping it starts a controllable addiction. Good luck with the draw everyone

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
Yep....I sent my info to the Outfitter yesterday for Montana application. Looking forward to my 2nd year of hunting Elk. Good times!

OP
Bdubwright23
Yep....I sent my info to the Outfitter yesterday for Montana application. Looking forward to my 2nd year of hunting Elk. Good times!
What outfitter are you going with I can't find anyone to go with me so I may end up hiring one as well

OP
Bdubwright23
Got through after 34 min on hold. Good luck to everyone in the draw

A buddy and I are both going in with 2 NR Combo PPs and have deposits down to hunt some private land outside of Missoula
How much is the private land thing costing ya if u don't mind me asking

I'm not leasing. I can see how what I wrote looks like that's what I was saying though. Sorry

We are going with an outfitter who has the rights to/manages the hunting on the ranch. Lodging, meals, 1x1 guide, elk taken to meat processor and taxi (hopefully).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I notice Go Hunt has draw odds for a non-resident with 0 points at 57% for a general elk tag, this is much lower than previous years, I wonder what Go Hunt knows?

I looked at go hunt as well and noticed the same thing with every Non Resident general Elk unit. It had me scratching my head too.

Put in for my first elk tag yesterday. Have a hunt scheduled for first week of rifle season or around there. This will be my first foray into the mountains and hoping it starts a controllable addiction. Good luck with the draw everyone

Not sure what a Texasbuckeye is? A Ohioan living in Texas maybe? I could be called a Tarheel Buckeye I suppose as I'm from Ohio originally but lived in NC for 25 years now. But I still cheer for OSU especially for football. Of course Michigan fans consider us Buckeyes worthless nuts! LOL

I'm retired and have lots of time to hunt so I'm thinking to do the General Archery ELK deer combo and if not successful stay and do the Rifle hunt as well since the tag is good for both. After the Archery, hopefully by then I'll have a good handle on where to hunt Elk/deer using a rifle. I think I have a local friend coming too but haven't heard from him in a while but should know tomorrow if I'm hunting alone or not. But I plan to hunt either way. I plan to elk hunt someplace this year even if I don't draw Montana.