Montana elk

bsnedeker

WKR
Add me to the list waiting to see if I retained my preference point purchased at application time, was unsuccessful in the initial draw but picked up the released tag. Sure seems to me to be a glitch to be able to retain my point by drawing a released tag. Anyone have any updates to this?

Well, I can tell you what they did last year! I was a NR, bought a point, unsuccessful in first round, picked up a released tag and I did NOT retain that point. I'm a resident now so I don't need points but that's what happened with me.

can anyone comment on what it took for a breaks archery only permit. im going on 4 points thought i could get out there in 2021

It takes zero points but you're a lot more likely to draw with points. Looks like last year it was 84% with 3 points and 96% with 4 points for a non-res though. Ouch.

Add me to the list waiting to see if I retained my preference point purchased at application time, was unsuccessful in the initial draw but picked up the released tag. Sure seems to me to be a glitch to be able to retain my point by drawing a released tag. Anyone have any updates to this?

Does the PP show up on your MY FWP account? My buddy missed the general tag with 1 point but got a released tag. His PP total shows zero but it logged his bonus point. I'd assume that means its gone but with MT FWP you never know.. They have allowed different things in how you obtain/retain points for the last 3 years straight.

PredatorX

WKR
No it doesn't. That's ok though, it doesn't seem right that i would get to keep the point.

arrow179

WKR
2nd year in a row not drawing the permit I put in for...anybody know how long it takes to get the 80% refund? Do they send a physical check? I can't recall what happened last year - just remember my refund was missing $200+ from what I spent..LOL

Spence14

WKR
2nd year in a row not drawing the permit I put in for...anybody know how long it takes to get the 80% refund? Do they send a physical check? I can't recall what happened last year - just remember my refund was missing $200+ from what I spent..LOL

Edit*** Nevermind, that was New Mexico, sorry!

The refund just showed up on my credit card today but shows 4/23 on the statement. I imagine it depends on when your bank post the refund but It seems as though they Issued them last week.

arrow179

WKR
Same here! It was more than I expected also. Seems like it was 90% refund instead of 80%. I’m not going to ask why!

Jardo

WKR
When do you have to decide whether to turn in your tag for the 80% refund? Has anyone got a tag in the mail yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could be guys referring to Archery Elk season being crowded. The elk tag is a rifle tag and for a small Archery fee you can hunt Sept. - Nov. rifle or archery when in season. This could shift the pressure from one part of the season to the next. Non Res pressure is the least of your worries at most trail heads.
Nope. I'd say 97% of the other hunters where I go in Sept are from out of state. The beautiful thing is though every elk hunting source tells them to hunt the middle to last half of Sept. So I try and have a fun pleasant first week of Sept. Before the snow and out of staters show up!

Which is funny because I made friends with a couple guys and Brady Miller told them via Go Hunt that the area had a lot of opportunities and was an easy hunt. They learned that was a lie.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Nope. I'd say 97% of the other hunters where I go in Sept are from out of state. The beautiful thing is though every elk hunting source tells them to hunt the middle to last half of Sept. So I try and have a fun pleasant first week of Sept. Before the snow and out of staters show up!

Which is funny because I made friends with a couple guys and Brady Miller told them via Go Hunt that the area had a lot of opportunities and was an easy hunt. They learned that was a lie.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Interesting, I was hunting in your neck of the woods the first two weeks of season and I saw a TON of out of staters as well as a handful of guys from GF. I was still into elk every day so I don't let it bother me. It's big country out there with a lot of elks!