Montana Fall bear hunt

Trees91

WKR
Anyone have experience rifle hunting Montana black bear in the fall? I would rather do spring but that’s a really busy time for my hunting crews work schedule. A lot of glassing and covering ground I would assume? Where’s a good place to go, any pointers would be awesome.

hunt406

FNG
I'm not an expert but we have found some up still at higher elevations where they've been spending the summers. Usually eating the remnants of the berry patches. The huckleberries are way past their prime and dried up at that point but the bears still seem to like hitting them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
My younger brother hunted a couple years ago near Seely Lake, it was a spring hunt. First time ever being out there and the four of them did manage to find a couple and did kill one. Would that area be worth a shot for a fall hunt? Is the best tactic get up high and glass?

skierhs

WKR
My younger brother hunted a couple years ago near Seely Lake, it was a spring hunt. First time ever being out there and the four of them did manage to find a couple and did kill one. Would that area be worth a shot for a fall hunt? Is the best tactic get up high and glass?
It’s possible to do but in the last few years the brown bears have seam to hit that population hard. Glassing will be your golden ticket but that country isn’t the most conducive. I’d look more at north of flathead where you can get into some chutes easier where berries are and that are actually glassable.

Selway

FNG
Yep. I grew up in Seeley and the blackie hunting has gotten pretty abysmal. Last year we glassed 3 Grizzlies for every black bear. When they open a griz season the upper clearwater will be a tag holder's paradise.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
When you say Flathead are you saying the county or somewhere more particular? I don’t want all your secrets just a little direction where to start looking haha.

If you are interested in the Flathead area send me a message. I live there and might be able to give you some tips

Anyone have experience rifle hunting Montana black bear in the fall? I would rather do spring but that’s a really busy time for my hunting crews work schedule. A lot of glassing and covering ground I would assume? Where’s a good place to go, any pointers would be awesome.
I see a few almost every year during archery elk. Berry patches- service berry patches are good spots. You don't have to be on the continental divide but you definitely want to gain some elevation. NW Montana near GNP

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I spend a lot of time in the woods in Montana and I've never seen a black bear in the fall. I'm thinking they must go pretty nocturnal because I see a lot in the spring. I think if you can find huckleberries and hit that early rifle season in September you might have a chance of locating one...but spring has been way more productive in my experience.

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
The only fall bear I've killed was with my bow and I usually end up seeing at least one or two every year. My tag is usually punched though so they get a walk. Really wish the rumors about MT doing 2 bear tags would come to fruition.

shayes11

FNG
Berries are the ticket in the fall. Depending on what part of Montana, I'm in the thick jungles of Northern Idaho and we find them on steep hill sides or avalanche chutes in close proximity to berry patches.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk