Montana Gen ELK Tag - Archery - Guide for Backcountry Public Land??

Hello all-
I drew a Montana gen elk tag. Heading to Montana from Orlando, FL. I am looking for someone with some Montana public land elk knowledge to hunt with for 7-14 days. Willing to compensate but budget is in the $2-3k range. I am in good shape physically and have gear for backcountry camp. Am I dreaming at this price range? Any outfitter recommendations are appreciated!

Payton

Djacker

WKR
Your just asking for an outfitter now, archery season is 7 weeks away!! Should have looked into this months ago. In all honesty you don't need an outfitter for a general tag, plenty of elk to go diy.

Geewhiz

WKR
Oh boy. What do you know? Did you take any time to research or at least look into any areas before you put in for the draw? What was your plan going to be? As stated, archery season is less than 2 months out. Any outfitter that still has openings at this point in the game I would stay away from, there's a reason. I'm gathering that maybe your looking to pay someone 2-3k to take you into their spots?

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
How about just good help for the guy??
We put in for a Breaks unit with 7 points that we thought was a slam dunk and did not draw. Also found ourselves with a general tag the dang state forces on you. Had to scramble to find an alternative without a lot of knowledge in general units.
We got lucky and found a drop camp just a few days after a guy and his son had to cancel for health reasons.
I would suggest start calling outfitters and be honest about your predicament and desire to hunt elk on a budget. The outfitters in the back of Bugle magazine is a good starting point. After that put Mrs. Google to work.
Good luck!!

OP
P
We put in for a Breaks unit with 7 points that we thought was a slam dunk and did not draw. Also found ourselves with a general tag the dang state forces on you. Had to scramble to find an alternative without a lot of knowledge in general units.
We got lucky and found a drop camp just a few days after a guy and his son had to cancel for health reasons.
I would suggest start calling outfitters and be honest about your predicament and desire to hunt elk on a budget. The outfitters in the back of Bugle magazine is a good starting point. After that put Mrs. Google to work.
Good luck!!
This is great advice. Thank you. I called a few outfitters this afternoon.

Good luck out there!

OP
P
Your just asking for an outfitter now, archery season is 7 weeks away!! Should have looked into this months ago. In all honesty you don't need an outfitter for a general tag, plenty of elk to go diy.
Thanks for your time. I hope you have a great day and a successful hunting season.

Scoot

WKR
Payton, the last sentence of Djacker's post is accurate- skip the outfitter and just go on your own! Regardless of what you do, good luck and have fun!

hobbes

WKR
Good luck!!
"The state" didn't force the general license on you. They told you the rules of the draw up front and you chose to participate. In addition to that, there's a line of guys hoping folks turn their general back in and it's still an option.

Will_m

WKR
Hello all-
I drew a Montana gen elk tag. Heading to Montana from Orlando, FL. I am looking for someone with some Montana public land elk knowledge to hunt with for 7-14 days. Willing to compensate but budget is in the $2-3k range. I am in good shape physically and have gear for backcountry camp. Am I dreaming at this price range? Any outfitter recommendations are appreciated!

Payton
Why would you put in for a tag without a plan?

all jokes aside. Have you hunted elk before? is this a one time trip?

if its your first time and a once a decade trip your better off with a guide to maximize your chances for success and learning.

If this is something you want to do regularly and budget is of concern diy is your best option for more hunts between the years.

I could point you in a direction of a few areas, but tbh I'm dumb and hunt in places that most people say to avoid. There is also potential for grizzly in most of the westside, but that being said you probably will never see one or a wolf, but probably better safe than sorry and bring a pistol.

Back when I was 16 I shot my first archery elk diy with my dad in a new unhunted area so the chances are there you will just need alittle luck and some general understanding of where the elk want to live. I'm not sure what weeks you plan on going but you can do some digging and google and see what alot of guys report as the peak of the rut. If you can hear an elk bugle you know your playing on the right mountain atleast.

I'm guessing you hunt whitetails in Florida so this is what id do. pick a large piece of public land with a decent amount of roads so you can stay mobile and try to find some bugles after dark and make a game plan to go into that area before light. with the wind 9 times out of 10 you will start low and work your way up hopefully meeting the elk near a bedding area right as the temps rise and drive the thermals shift ups the mountain. If you don't get your chance then or spend your lunch on onx maps and try to locate an area that may have a wallow or do scouting for fresh elk sign. there is only one sure thing is elk will need water and the last few years it has been a semi/extreme dry climate out west. so sometimes sitting a wallow is a far more effective use of your time if the sign is fresh vice blindly walking around.

there is more free information than ever before and it all goes into detail on how to locate the elk all the way to field dressing. You still have plenty of time to do the research needed and make a game plan. I will say there is alot of pressure to be successful due to peer pressure and your friends or family on the east coast not understanding why you'd want to drop 4-5k and come home empty handed. If you go into this expecting to see no elk then your going to have a great time.

this outfitter is in nw montana and its a controversial area but they just posted they have 1 spot avail. you may get lucky because most guys are booked up so they might discount the hunt to at least fill the slot.

Waypoint Outfitters Inc.

https://www.facebook.com/waypointoutfittersinc?__cft__[0]=AZXaduzLvu-yYp5FNOQz7iCN6EMjFmDsnHAE4og_ZiVNVdUy0EptI-XQGKHzUGDMLLStVzqLWQxVR-YEmdmBlEMxFrCXu7vQp0vgs6s-vRDlrd4aoSZA4usuhu7pEKdwmRKBS4aH0PjBwNoYTf8oO4V3HCqeSDIf52O9eOci53EnjwQ72vfdjGHGod-xysH90Mw&__tn__=,O,P-R#?edg

We have one spot available for Elk/Deer combo archery hunt in Northwest Montana.
If you drew an elk or deer tag and are looking for an outfitter to book with we have September 25-October 1 available.
6 day hunt (Sunday - Sunday)
Amenities include: lodging, meals, guide, packing, transportation to/from airport.
For more information Call/Text Morgan 7243662330

Last edited:

tntrker

WKR
I had these guys (Waypoint Outfitters) listed in my mix of guides. I've never hunted with them but I did have them to my final 2 choices. In the end, I chose the other guide just due to location but I don't think you could go wrong with these guys, IF YOU ARE IN SHAPE..Good Luck!!

OP
P
Payton, the last sentence of Djacker's post is accurate- skip the outfitter and just go on your own! Regardless of what you do, good luck and have fun!
My limited amount of backcount

if its your first time and a once a decade trip your better off with a guide to maximize your chances for success and learning.

If this is something you want to do regularly and budget is of concern diy is your best option for more hunts between the years.

I could point you in a direction of a few areas, but tbh I'm dumb and hunt in places that most people say to avoid. There is also potential for grizzly in most of the westside, but that being said you probably will never see one or a wolf, but probably better safe than sorry and bring a pistol.

Back when I was 16 I shot my first archery elk diy with my dad in a new unhunted area so the chances are there you will just need alittle luck and some general understanding of where the elk want to live. I'm not sure what weeks you plan on going but you can do some digging and google and see what alot of guys report as the peak of the rut. If you can hear an elk bugle you know your playing on the right mountain atleast.

I'm guessing you hunt whitetails in Florida so this is what id do. pick a large piece of public land with a decent amount of roads so you can stay mobile and try to find some bugles after dark and make a game plan to go into that area before light. with the wind 9 times out of 10 you will start low and work your way up hopefully meeting the elk near a bedding area right as the temps rise and drive the thermals shift ups the mountain. If you don't get your chance then or spend your lunch on onx maps and try to locate an area that may have a wallow or do scouting for fresh elk sign. there is only one sure thing is elk will need water and the last few years it has been a semi/extreme dry climate out west. so sometimes sitting a wallow is a far more effective use of your time if the sign is fresh vice blindly walking around.

there is more free information than ever before and it all goes into detail on how to locate the elk all the way to field dressing. You still have plenty of time to do the research needed and make a game plan. I will say there is alot of pressure to be successful due to peer pressure and your friends or family on the east coast not understanding why you'd want to drop 4-5k and come home empty handed. If you go into this expecting to see no elk then your going to have a great time.

this outfitter is in nw montana and its a controversial area but they just posted they have 1 spot avail. you may get lucky because most guys are booked up so they might discount the hunt to at least fill the slot.

Waypoint Outfitters Inc.

https://www.facebook.com/waypointoutfittersinc?__cft__[0]=AZXaduzLvu-yYp5FNOQz7iCN6EMjFmDsnHAE4og_ZiVNVdUy0EptI-XQGKHzUGDMLLStVzqLWQxVR-YEmdmBlEMxFrCXu7vQp0vgs6s-vRDlrd4aoSZA4usuhu7pEKdwmRKBS4aH0PjBwNoYTf8oO4V3HCqeSDIf52O9eOci53EnjwQ72vfdjGHGod-xysH90Mw&__tn__=,O,P-R#?edg

We have one spot available for Elk/Deer combo archery hunt in Northwest Montana.
If you drew an elk or deer tag and are looking for an outfitter to book with we have September 25-October 1 available.
Amenities include: lodging, meals, guide, packing, transportation to/from airport.
Thanks for this info.

Waypoint Outfitters Inc.

This is great. Thanks a bunch for all of the info. My first elk hunt was last year, went on a guided cow hunt (rifle) with my father and brother. One of the best memories of our lives. I've talked to a bunch of outfitters in the last 24 hrs and the general consensus is to go DIY.

Need to figure out which areas do not allow ATV/UTVs considering I will be on foot. Thinking Sept 6-16.

Thanks again for taking the time to send this!!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member

met Josh several years ago can vouch for his fitness and skillz in tough country…the country is vast and no tougher…he would give you a good hunt in beautiful country🤙

sneaky

"DADDY"

met Josh several years ago can vouch for his fitness and skillz in tough country…the country is vast and no tougher…he would give you a good hunt in beautiful country🤙
He better be, gotta outrun the wolves in that country! 😂