Montana General Elk Pressure

Pretty funny to be planning next season when this season isnt closed yet. But, I’ve done all my trips for the year so what else am I supposed to do.

My wife has never hunted and has decided she wants to try it next year. I have to burn my Montana points next year and she bought one this year so I’m pretty confident we will draw.

I hunted in the SW portion of the state a few years ago, had several opportunities and learned from messing them up . I’m pretty comfortable on finding elk (even if killin em is a different matter)

What I am more curious about is how hunting pressure ebbs and flows across the course of this fairly long season. Playing the pressure has been a successful strategy for me in CO OTC units. My assumption is that NR hunters probably are heaviest in the first week and locals are heavy on weekends and when weather is best. Is this even a factor to try and game?

Also, to what degree am I gambling on weather restricting access by going later in the season? Last time, there was a big snow storm before opener and most melted off as the week went on so maybe weather is just luck of the draw?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
FIrst week is a zoo of locals and NR. Second week it thins pretty quick. Weekends are more busy, but not overly so, IME. Middle weeks are a ghost town and you run into more wood cutters and deer road hunters than anything else. Last two weeks get busy again, but only the more serious hunters. 30-40% of the hunters don't really get back out to hunt after the first two weeks.

Snow can kill a unit, or make it better. Same as in CO, if there is low country that is public or has Block Management, it can be decent late season hunting. If it's all private down low, you may see a lot of elk and have no chance to kill them. That said, the bulls will still stay higher, but getting to them will be a hike around private in some units.

I'll be there for the last two weeks this year. Start hunting the 12th. I expect to see a few trucks Sat and Sun, and be basically alone for the rest of the week.

Jeremy

joejoe8

FNG
Great info Wapiti1

I'm headed back on the 17th! Should be interesting with all the snow, I've never hunted late season.

t_carlson

WKR
Wapiti1 summed it up pretty well, except I’d add that Thanksgiving week can be almost as busy as opener in many spots.

Weather is impossible to plan for. Last year it was warm pretty much through Thanksgiving. This year, I’d say so far is colder than most and there’s still 3 weeks of season left.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Opening weekend is always busy and the crowd thins out for the rest of the season. Weekends can still get busy, but if you are willing to put chains on your truck, hunt in very cold temps, and hike in deep, snow late season in MT can be a lot of fun with few other hunters. If I had to pick a week to hunt in MT, I would select one of the last two weeks of the season and hope for a good snow year. Hunt the migration routes and have the right gear for a late-season hunt. Of course, your wife may not appreciate the late season weather and snow as much as you do, in that case, opening week might be your best option.

Wapiti1

WKR
My folks sent a photo of about 8-10 inches of snow south of Great Falls. Shaping up to be perfect late season weather for next week. Tracking elk in fresh powder is my favorite next to calling one in.

Some friends have reported the snow is pushing them out, but it'll be a cold go of it to get one. Below is a bull I killed the same week a few years ago in MT. Yes, that is a lot of orange.

P1000429 (Large).JPG

Jeremy

OP
ElDudarino
Very helpful responses. Thank you.

OP
ElDudarino
Very helpful responses. Thank you.

pparris3

FNG
My folks sent a photo of about 8-10 inches of snow south of Great Falls. Shaping up to be perfect late season weather for next week. Tracking elk in fresh powder is my favorite next to calling one in.

Some friends have reported the snow is pushing them out, but it'll be a cold go of it to get one. Below is a bull I killed the same week a few years ago in MT. Yes, that is a lot of orange.

View attachment 472949

Jeremy
Had to make sure the bull didnt get shot again!