Montana general elk

rambo2345

WKR
Definitely bears in many parts of Montana. Seeing brown bears should make you cautious.

This will be my first year hunting Montana as well. My buddy and I are driving out from PA for a DIY hike in hunt. Just like anything else as a newbie in a new area the more research on one area you do and the more research on how to find them the better the odds, even if those odds start off low. Everyone says go in with no expectations of shooting one but I like to think the odds are always 50/50. Your either going to get one or you are not. Either way we are planning for some good times and if the cooler if full on the way home that would be great. And as much as I have learned by reading every thread and every book I can is go in conditioned and prepared and have a few plans for the first ones that don’t work out... it’s always the last plan before you shoot one that does.

OP
Bdubwright23
This will be my first year hunting Montana as well. My buddy and I are driving out from PA for a DIY hike in hunt. Just like anything else as a newbie in a new area the more research on one area you do and the more research on how to find them the better the odds, even if those odds start off low. Everyone says go in with no expectations of shooting one but I like to think the odds are always 50/50. Your either going to get one or you are not. Either way we are planning for some good times and if the cooler if full on the way home that would be great. And as much as I have learned by reading every thread and every book I can is go in conditioned and prepared and have a few plans for the first ones that don’t work out... it’s always the last plan before you shoot one that does.
I'm going solo as of right now I have a pretty decent plan put together only thing I'm worried about is getting my meat out if successful

I'm going solo as of right now I have a pretty decent plan put together only thing I'm worried about is getting my meat out if successful

a lot of that will depend on the temps when you are there. If it’s warm it will really limit you on how far in you can go if it’s not cool enough to keep the meat from spoiling. Figure you will have at least 4 trips out with meat, maybe more plus your camp if you get a big bull. 5 miles in? 40+ miles. Even just 1 mile is 10 miles of hiking. Base it off of how in shape you are and error on the side of cation. Don’t put yourself in a position where you loose meat. It will ruin a trip. Spend more time finding secluded areas closer to where you can park that other people might not try, I hear they are out there is you look hard enough.

Coming from someone who lives out west... don’t commit to a hike in to an area until you know it is worth the effort. Day trip into the area and figure it out first. Have several places to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottinPA

WKR
This year will be my 4th elk hunt, 2nd solo DIY in MT. I'm hunting an area I was in on a guided hunt previously (2014) and solo (2016) so not totally blind. E-scouting then calling local biologist worked well for me in the past and plan to revisit with biologist in a few months. I did truck camp in 2016 but plan to do a couple of 2-3 day pack-in hunts this time coupled with a few day hunts with a local friend.
Regarding meat - I plan to try to bring it out on my back just to say I did it but above referenced friend has stock if needed.

OP
Bdubwright23
This year will be my 4th elk hunt, 2nd solo DIY in MT. I'm hunting an area I was in on a guided hunt previously (2014) and solo (2016) so not totally blind. E-scouting then calling local biologist worked well for me in the past and plan to revisit with biologist in a few months. I did truck camp in 2016 but plan to do a couple of 2-3 day pack-in hunts this time coupled with a few day hunts with a local friend.
Regarding meat - I plan to try to bring it out on my back just to say I did it but above referenced friend has stock if needed.
I'm gonna look for some people with horses that will pack out mine for a fee if I kill later in my week I've asked everyone I can think of to go with me I'll be back packing my whole trip out there

scottinpa- new user so I don’t have PM permissions yet to reply to you. I was just in Russell this morning buying a pistol. I am headed out second week in September. Once I get PM permissions next week we will have to catch up to see if we will be in the same area.

OP
Bdubwright23
scottinpa- new user so I don’t have PM permissions yet to reply to you. I was just in Russell this morning buying a pistol. I am headed out second week in September. Once I get PM permissions next week we will have to catch up to see if we will be in the same area.
I'm leaving on the 10th thru the 18th

I'm gonna look for some people with horses that will pack out mine for a fee if I kill later in my week I've asked everyone I can think of to go with me I'll be back packing my whole trip out there
Dont be scared to ask other hunters around you for help packing out. I know if you came to my camp and asked for help getting an animal out 2 of us would jump out of bed to help a fellow hunter!

OP
Bdubwright23
Dont be scared to ask other hunters around you for help packing out. I know if you came to my camp and asked for help getting an animal out 2 of us would jump out of bed to help a fellow hunter!
I'll keep that in mind I'd be the same way