Montana General Map?

hobbes

WKR
You can hunt nearly the entire state with a general license, you just can't shoot the same elk in every district with a general license. That's why there is no map.

CO has an over the counter either sex tag for archery or an OTC 2nd season rifle bull tag and they produce maps that show everywhere you can use that OTC license.

MT isn't set up like that. We have a general elk license that can be used just about anywhere, but you are limited on what you can use it for and when.

I can use it for cow or brow tined bull during archery in most districts.
I can use it for spikes or cows during archery in some trophy districts but not brow tined bulls.
I can use it for either sex (any elk)in a few districts.
In most districts I can use it for only brow tined bulls during the general rifle season.
I can use it for spikes only during the general rifle season in some trophy districts.
I can use it for either sex in some districts during the general rifle season.

If a district is Limited Entry (trophy) for brow tined bulls, I'll have to draw a LE permit that allows me to hunt brow tined bulls in that district. The permit doesn't let me kill an extra elk, but allows me to hunt brow tined bulls using my license in that district.

The only extra elk is a B license for a cow. Some of them are OTC (maybe some cut off dates for purchase) and some are limited entry. Some districts won't allow you to kill a bull there if you draw a cow tag there.

I suppose they could produce a map that says a general license will let you kill brow tined bulls in thes districts in archery and these districts in rifle.

bsnedeker

WKR
You can hunt nearly the entire state with a general license, you just can't shoot the same elk in every district with a general license. That's why there is no map.

CO has an over the counter either sex tag for archery or an OTC 2nd season rifle bull tag and they produce maps that show everywhere you can use that OTC license.

MT isn't set up like that. We have a general elk license that can be used just about anywhere, but you are limited on what you can use it for and when.

I can use it for cow or brow tined bull during archery in most districts.
I can use it for spikes or cows during archery in some trophy districts but not brow tined bulls.
I can use it for either sex (any elk)in a few districts.
In most districts I can use it for only brow tined bulls during the general rifle season.
I can use it for spikes only during the general rifle season in some trophy districts.
I can use it for either sex in some districts during the general rifle season.

If a district is Limited Entry (trophy) for brow tined bulls, I'll have to draw a LE permit that allows me to hunt brow tined bulls in that district. The permit doesn't let me kill an extra elk, but allows me to hunt brow tined bulls using my license in that district.

The only extra elk is a B license for a cow. Some of them are OTC (maybe some cut off dates for purchase) and some are limited entry. Some districts won't allow you to kill a bull there if you draw a cow tag there.

I suppose they could produce a map that says a general license will let you kill brow tined bulls in thes districts in archery and these districts in rifle.

Don't forget shoulder seasons...lol!

I absolutely LOVE hunting the general tag in MT for all the opportunities it gives you. Once you get those regs figured out (which can absolutely be a challenge at first) it's like the land of milk and honey! It is SO worth the learning curve.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Hobbes hit on it. You have to select a unit, then read the regulations for that unit. What is legal changes with weapon as well as with dates within a season. Just know that general license and permit are two different things and you can figure it out. Permit is LE, general is everything else.

Montana has nothing on Alaska for poorly written regulations and hard to find information, IMO.

Jeremy
YOU. AINT LYING BRO!

The level of passive aggressive trolling in here is ridiculous. The OPs approach is a legitimate strategy to hunting a state that you have never stepped foot in before. Zoom out at a high level, look at a unit map of the entire state, see what units it is humanly possible to hunt elk that make the most sense with your travel route, preferred topography/terrain, etc. etc. Pick some units that make sense geographically for you and really dig in on the regs, topo, densities etc. to continue your hunt plan. If that unit doesnt make sense for your hunt expectations, move on to the next. Give the guy a break and get off your high horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
The level of passive aggressive trolling in here is ridiculous. The OPs approach is a legitimate strategy to hunting a state that you have never stepped foot in before. Zoom out at a high level, look at a unit map of the entire state, see what units it is humanly possible to hunt elk that make the most sense with your travel route, preferred topography/terrain, etc. etc. Pick some units that make sense geographically for you and really dig in on the regs, topo, densities etc. to continue your hunt plan. If that unit doesnt make sense for your hunt expectations, move on to the next. Give the guy a break and get off your high horse.

I'm gonna take a guess that you have never hunted montana before and have no idea how the elk units work out here.

But thanks for chiming in on a 6 month old discussion and sharing your opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
The information your after is in the 50s to 70s pages.

Anything that says general is you. Beside that will be season dates.

Pm if you have questions.

I'm gonna take a guess that you have never hunted montana before and have no idea how the elk units work out here.

But thanks for chiming in on a 6 month old discussion and sharing your opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No I have not and thats exactly why a map of the whole state outlining units and denoting whether they are brow tine, or antlerless/spike units for general tags would make planning the hunt easier. Instead of segmented portions of a map that require constant cross referencing to a reg book section thats 30 pages long. Seeing it all laid out in one map would be helpful for someone like me looking at an entire state that is 150k square miles to get a high level overview of whats going on with the elk units. IE am I going to have to drive 18hours to SE montana or 30 hours to NW montana. Thats an entire day of travel on both ends and can cut hunting days in half. Be nice to have essentially eliminated the 5 and 700 units section of the state looking at a map for 30 seconds instead of spending a couple hours cross referencing chopped up maps and a reg book.

Montana website SUCKS. Calling them on the phone isn’t much better. “Hold on I’ll transfer you to someone who may be able to help”

There should be a list of units provided to help people pick what units to further investigate the regs. They could sure learn a lot by looking at the Wyoming Fish and Game site. They list all the general units. From there you can check the area specific regulations. Calling Wyoming on the phone is awesome too. Fast answers and a pleasant helpful attitude.

bsnedeker

WKR
No I have not and thats exactly why a map of the whole state outlining units and denoting whether they are brow tine, or antlerless/spike units for general tags would make planning the hunt easier. Instead of segmented portions of a map that require constant cross referencing to a reg book section thats 30 pages long. Seeing it all laid out in one map would be helpful for someone like me looking at an entire state that is 150k square miles to get a high level overview of whats going on with the elk units. IE am I going to have to drive 18hours to SE montana or 30 hours to NW montana. Thats an entire day of travel on both ends and can cut hunting days in half. Be nice to have essentially eliminated the 5 and 700 units section of the state looking at a map for 30 seconds instead of spending a couple hours cross referencing chopped up maps and a reg book.

Yes, I understand how you want someone to "just make it easy" for you. What you are describing does not exist for reasons that are very clearly outlined in this "passive aggressive thread".

Pick a series of units you are interested in hunting, then cross reference the regs to find out if the general tag is good there (it almost certainly is for all of SW an NW MT) and most importantly see what you can hunt under that tag. It is unit specific.

If you want to hunt here, learn to read the regs. It's pretty simple.

fatlander

WKR

Here you go:

General rule of thumb, you’re not hunting browtine bulls on a general tag east of the Crazies. There are still LE units sprinkled through the Western part of the state but there’s your start. Now pick a unit, and read the regs.

Here you go:

General rule of thumb, you’re not hunting browtine bulls on a general tag east of the Crazies. There are still LE units sprinkled through the Western part of the state but there’s your start. Now pick a unit, and read the regs.

I am aware of that now after digging through the chopped up maps and regs for several hours. Thats my point. All of the information is there, but a condensed high level synopsis would be very convenient. Considering they are charging $1000 for a tag, I dont think its unreasonable for the OP to ask if this simple tool is available. Especially considering most other states offer this.

bsnedeker

WKR
I am aware of that now after digging through the chopped up maps and regs for several hours. Thats my point. All of the information is there, but a condensed high level synopsis would be very convenient. Considering they are charging $1000 for a tag, I dont think its unreasonable for the OP to ask if this simple tool is available. Especially considering most other states offer this.

Gosh dangit, where is my tiny violin? I can never find that thing when I need it!

Gosh dangit, where is my tiny violin? I can never find that thing when I need it!

Haha ok big-time Montana Hunter. Im not complaining about it, nor do I think any agency is obligated to produce these tools. I just dont think it is unreasonable for someone to ask on a western hunting forum if the tools exist. Go have yourself an IPA in Bozeman on me. You deserve it. My venmo is aguil91.

bsnedeker

WKR
Haha ok big-time Montana Hunter. Im not complaining about it, nor do I think any agency is obligated to produce these tools. I just dont think it is unreasonable for someone to ask on a western hunting forum if the tools exist. Go have yourself an IPA in Bozeman on me. You deserve it. My venmo is aguil91.

I prefer Scotch Ales.

ewade07

WKR

Bold strategy putting your Venmo out there. Let's see how it works out for him Cotton!

I don't think there was too much passive aggression going on here, and actually the OP got some advice on how to figure out the issue...

"I want a map that tells me everything I need to know."

"That doesn't exist, here's how you have to go about it. "

"OK, that's frustrating because I don't want to put that much effort into this."

"Not sure what to tell you."

"There ought to be this thing that I need to find out what I want to know."

"Read the regs?"

"I dont want to do that, it will take too long."

"Not sure what to tell you..."

"MT's system is clearly trying to be mean to me on purpose, and there is basically no way to find the information I need to get what I want."

"Not sure what to tell you... the regulations are the path to get what you want...."

"I dont want to spend that much time on this, you guys are dicks."

"OK then."

*repeat as needed*

I am not saying that MT's system is fantastic, or even that good but keeeeeeripes.........

I’m looking at Montana for 2022 as well and I agree a master list of all the general units, season dates and what can be taken on the tag would be nice. But it’s not hard to pick a unit that looks good, check the regs and see if it’s huntable. Takes a little more time but what’s a few minutes when planning a hunt 14 months out, no big deal.

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't think there was too much passive aggression going on here, and actually the OP got some advice on how to figure out the issue...

"I want a map that tells me everything I need to know."

"That doesn't exist, here's how you have to go about it. "

"OK, that's frustrating because I don't want to put that much effort into this."

"Not sure what to tell you."

"There ought to be this thing that I need to find out what I want to know."

"Read the regs?"

"I dont want to do that, it will take too long."

"Not sure what to tell you..."

"MT's system is clearly trying to be mean to me on purpose, and there is basically no way to find the information I need to get what I want."

"Not sure what to tell you... the regulations are the path to get what you want...."

"I dont want to spend that much time on this, you guys are dicks."

"OK then."

*repeat as needed*

I am not saying that MT's system is fantastic, or even that good but keeeeeeripes.........

This. I mean, I live in MT and yet I also spend several hours a year looking over the regs prior to season, as well as during the season as I move from unit to unit. When the regs come out every year my buddies and I have a "Reg. Party" where we go over them and see what, if anything, has changed in our main units. I don't view it as a problem, the regs are not nearly as complicated as guys seem to think they are in my opinion.

Our state just takes a different approach to managing elk populations than other Western states. If you don't like that, well, there are other places to hunt. Based on the trends in the numbers I can promise you we aren't hurting for NR's applying to hunt here.

MT257

WKR

I’m sure fwp would get right on that making a map for each species a person can hunt and at what time and with what weapon.

slick

WKR
I’m looking at Montana for 2022 as well and I agree a master list of all the general units, season dates and what can be taken on the tag would be nice. But it’s not hard to pick a unit that looks good, check the regs and see if it’s huntable. Takes a little more time but what’s a few minutes when planning a hunt 14 months out, no big deal.
I had to chuckle at this. Short answer is- there is a master list called the Regulations.

These threads pop up every year and they always crack me up. Are they clean cut and clear? Not necessarily for someone brand new to hunting, but they reflect WY's regulations that everyone is praising more than they differ.

Once you learn how to read them it aint hard.