Montana General Map?

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
I have looked all over for an online map telling me which units I can hunt with a general elk tag, and I'm coming up empty. I would think it would be simple, but apparently not! Any help with a link or something would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Josh

Wapiti406

WKR
Download the complete version of the regs and reference the map download. Its easier to do on a desktop or laptop but can be done on a cellphone. If you're not familiar with the districts it might take a minute but its not too difficult.

OP
Jbenson

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Ugh. So confusing! I'm sure that's on purpose... 2 hours trying and I've gotten nowhere.

bsnedeker

WKR
Ugh. So confusing! I'm sure that's on purpose... 2 hours trying and I've gotten nowhere.
Listen man, I'm seriously not trying to be a dick, but if you can't figure out how to read the MT regs to know where you can hunt i have serious concerns. That map is not the only thing you need. You also need to know what seasons you can hunt in each unit and, more importantly, what animals are legal in each unit. It is unit specific. Dig back into the regs and figure it out please!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Jbenson

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Listen man, I'm seriously not trying to be a dick, but if you can't figure out how to read the MT regs to know where you can hunt i have serious concerns. That map is not the only thing you need. You also need to know what seasons you can hunt in each unit and, more importantly, what animals are legal in each unit. It is unit specific. Dig back into the regs and figure it out please!

Glad to see such positivity and people helping other people! There are other people willing to take the time to help someone, your comments aren't needed nor welcomed. I'm not the first person to think regs can be confusing, and won't be the last. The fact that you took the time to click on my post and then type out a response makes me think ur a dick, despite the fact that you started with a disclaimer. So you're better than the next guy because you've hunted Montana more and have all the regs figured out. Congrats! I'll bet that feels good for you. Now that 1 good person has gratefully answered my question, I've got some map studying to get back to. You can get back to your trolling.

bsnedeker

WKR
Glad to see such positivity and people helping other people! There are other people willing to take the time to help someone, your comments aren't needed nor welcomed. I'm not the first person to think regs can be confusing, and won't be the last. The fact that you took the time to click on my post and then type out a response makes me think ur a dick, despite the fact that you started with a disclaimer. So you're better than the next guy because you've hunted Montana more and have all the regs figured out. Congrats! I'll bet that feels good for you. Now that 1 good person has gratefully answered my question, I've got some map studying to get back to. You can get back to your trolling.
Wow dude...I am trying to help you. If you don't recognize that, well that's your problem. You are clearly projecting your insecurities into me based on your reply. I did not say anything about me being superior because I can figure out hunting regulations. My point is that if you can't figure out the regs and come out and hunt here based on that map you are going to get yourself in a lot of trouble.

You sound like an entitled snowflake.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, MT does not have the clearest regs or draw system....
After narrowing it down, I would definitely recommend cross checking the regs after looking at that map. Some units are general for spike only, archery, cows in some, ECT. People get in trouble every year for this. I also can see some units that are not included on that map that are general for cows, and some units are subdivided even further, 417 for cows comes to mind.

Pick a unit and then read the regs for that unit to see what you can hunt, and when, with what - same as anywhere else. Nobody trolled you.

Scrappy

WKR
Like stated above, pick a unit punch that number into a search engine and its like magic. Poof all the info you need.

cgasner1

WKR
I’ve been a resident for 12-13 years now hunt multiple states every year 2 weeks ago we spent 29 minutes looking at a bull and reading the regs let him walk he wasn’t legal I suggest you pick a unit and learn the legal requirements well before you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
The reason you can't find a general district map is there isn't one. The general license can be used in nearly every district, but you may be limited on what you can kill using your general license. You need to look at each district's regs to see what you can kill.

For instance, 380 (Elkhorns) is a trophy district for elk, so the chance of drawing a permit to hunt brow tined bulls is dang near zero. However, I can still hunt it with a general license. I can hunt cows and spikes in the archery season and spikes only in the general (rifle) season.

In 391 I can hunt cows and brow tined bulls in archery and I can hunt brow tined bulls only in the general season. I can shoot a cow with the general license in the rifle season as long as it's not on national forest.

Some of the Breaks and other central areas require a limited permit to hunt (at least brow tined bulls), but most of the state allows hunting with a general license.

whaack

WKR

Randy Newberg has mentioned multiple times that MT regs are difficult to understand so I feel for the OP. I'm in the process of planning MT elk DIY for 2021 and they are super confusing compared to CO out of state regs.

Wapiti1

WKR
Hobbes hit on it. You have to select a unit, then read the regulations for that unit. What is legal changes with weapon as well as with dates within a season. Just know that general license and permit are two different things and you can figure it out. Permit is LE, general is everything else.

Montana has nothing on Alaska for poorly written regulations and hard to find information, IMO.

Jeremy

yeah it rivals Alaska for being retarded hard to figure It out.

oh well. I’m sure all the local mokes can flex on newbs their superiority. ;)

Op thanks for asking. I was wondering the same thing.

Nobody is flexing on anybody...

I suppose the frustration is that there is no statewide map telling you which units you can hunt on a general tag? Sorry, you just have to read a little more...

Pick a unit.
Read the regs to see if what you want to do is legal.

2ski

WKR
I think they're pretty easy to understand. As was said. Choose area to hunt. Find map that contains that area. Reference what you can hunt there. Do you have an area in mind?

There are very few areas that are a draw only elk tag. Most of them are wildlife management areas. Clearwater. Sun River. Ect.

Tick

WKR
A map similar to that of the CO otc areas is helpful to initially narrow down units. I had the same frustration trying to find a WY Gen areas map.

Had nothing to do with understanding the rules and regulations for each unit.

OP
Jbenson

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input guys. I hunted archery on a general tag (with buddies who knew the regs) earlier this fall and was just wanting to find a unit closer to home than 15 hours. I do not enjoy that much driving anymore. I've hunted Colorado for the last dozen years and their regulations are pretty cut and dried. When I looked at Montana regs I felt like I was reading Chinese 🤣. I'm figuring it out slowly, was just frustrated at the time! Thanks for all the help!