Montana general ???

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
So correct me if I’m wrong , if I don’t apply in the spring big game draw this year I will lose my 2 pref points for big game combo ? But if I do apply of course I’ll draw going In with 2 , issue is I was planning on going in 2023 , I’m confused , help me

As I understand if you will lose if you don’t apply. You most likely will draw. I wish I could buy them from you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erict

WKR
It is my contention that PP purchased prior to March 1, 2022 should be bound by the "rules in effect" at the time you purchased them, much like a legal contract.

The rules prior to March 1, 2022 said that "You can only purchase without applying for the combination license for 2 consecutive years." Say you applied for a LICENSE w/PP in 2021. If you don't apply for a license in 2022 you have not applied for a license in 1 year. You should be able to apply for a PP only in 2022 and you would need to apply for a LICENSE in 2023.

Whether or not Montana agrees with this is another story. Best to call Montana FWP Licensing and ask the question directly - make sure you are clear about pre-2022 PP vs post. I'd get their answer in writing.

I agree. And so you know, most of us residents are only guessing.
I would call the state office in Helena and ask. Then call Missoula and/or Kalispell and ask… then compare the answers.
MT has turned into the most confusing state to decipher

Listened to the hunting fool podcast on MT and they are pretty certain you lose the points if you don’t apply this year.

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s the way I see it if you want the best shot at drawing in 2023 with your current predicament. Do not apply this spring and lose your points (yes I know losing the money invested sucks). Purchase a point this fall and another on March 1st next which will put you at 2 going into the 2023 draw. This would most likely get you a tag.

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s the way I see it if you want the best shot at drawing in 2023 with your current predicament. Do not apply this spring and lose your points (yes I know losing the money invested sucks). Purchase a point this fall and another on March 1st next which will put you at 2 going into the 2023 draw. This would most likely get you a tag.
Yea sucks losing the couple hundred bucks, was poor planning on my part , I never really looked into Montana’s rules and regs until now , your strategy sounds like my best option, unless I somehow squeeze it in this year , so it sounds like a guy can go in with 2 every year if he wants to spend the coin? But a PP in the fall and buying an extra before the draw is an option it sounds like which puts a guy going in with 2

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
Yea sucks losing the couple hundred bucks, was poor planning on my part , I never really looked into Montana’s rules and regs until now , your strategy sounds like my best option, unless I somehow squeeze it in this year , so it sounds like a guy can go in with 2 every year if he wants to spend the coin? But a PP in the fall and buying an extra before the draw is an option it sounds like which puts a guy going in with 2
You can’t buy a point in the fall if you draw a tag in the spring, but short of that you can have two every year.

They only cost you $50 each if it makes you feel better. $100 total.

They just increased to $100 beginning in March.

tntrker

WKR
What about not purchasing a point this year, applying for a "special" area you wouldn't draw for? Wouldn't that allow you to keep your points for next year? I don't think 2 points will be a given this year, even in the General...Just apply without purchasing a point. Maybe you won't draw....

What about not purchasing a point this year, applying for a "special" area you wouldn't draw for? Wouldn't that allow you to keep your points for next year? I don't think 2 points will be a given this year, even in the General...Just apply without purchasing a point. Maybe you won't draw....
Thats not how MT works. You use preference points to draw general.
If you draw general you use bonus points to apply for limited entry.
If you don't draw a general tags you can't even apply for limited entry.

I applied last year with one point and was unsuccessful. Im not planning on applying this year but plan on applying for deer/elk combo next year with 2 points. Does that sound right? Since im only going 1 year without applying?

Thats not how MT works. You use preference points to draw general.
If you draw general you use bonus points to apply for limited entry.
If you don't draw a general tags you can't even apply for limited entry.
I think you should be able to put in for the combo, and put in for a special permit with low odds, like 270, and select the option to not accept the deer combo and instead get a refund if you don’t draw the permit? Maybe call FWP and see what they say…

bsnedeker

WKR
I think you should be able to put in for the combo, and put in for a special permit with low odds, like 270, and select the option to not accept the deer combo and instead get a refund if you don’t draw the permit? Maybe call FWP and see what they say…
This is correct. Apply for a permit and when you don't draw the permit it will automatically return your general tag (this is an option during application).

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
3pointer

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
They only cost you $50 each if it makes you feel better. $100 total.

They just increased to $100 beginning in March.

Yea just wish I’d paid more attention to detail 😂

Erict

WKR
I applied last year with one point and was unsuccessful. Im not planning on applying this year but plan on applying for deer/elk combo next year with 2 points. Does that sound right? Since im only going 1 year without applying?

I called MT FWP Licensing today. It is important to know that PP rules changed on March 1, 2022. The "old" rules deleted PP if you failed to apply for 3 consecutive years. The new rules are that once you have a PP that you must apply "in consecutive years" (every year). I specifically asked if this applied to old (pre-2022, $50) PP and they said yes.

What does this mean for you? You had 1 PP before March 1, 2022. If you do not apply for a LICENSE this year, you lose it. If you apply for a LICENSE and draw you lose it. If you apply for a LICENSE and don't draw, you keep it, but must apply for a LICENSE next year.

If I were you, I would carefully think about your next step. COMBO LICENSES and LE PERMITS applications are submitted at the same time. You must first draw the COMBO LICENSE to be considered for the LE PERMIT. The instant you draw a COMBO LICENSE, your PP are "deleted". MT FWP told me that this is regardless of whether you later decide to get a refund.

If I were you, I'd not apply for a 2022 license, lose your 1 PP, apply for a $100 PP only (Jul 1-Dec 31) and then buy a PP with your 2023 application next March. You would go in to the draw with 2 PP. You may even have better odds letting your 1 PP expire and go in to 2023 draw with 0 PP. I see no way to get to the 2023 draw with 3 PP without the risk of being drawn this year or paying a lot of extra $$$ if you apply this year. (Non-draw refunds are generally 80%, and you are never refunded things like internet service fee, conservation & base license, AIS fee, application fee, etc. - around $60)

But..... I'm not you. Good luck.

MT FWP LICENSING can be reached at 406-444-2950

sneaky

"DADDY"
Buy a point this fall, buy a point when you apply next spring and go in with 3. 3 is going to be the new 2 in MT with the way the changes are going.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
This is correct. Apply for a permit and when you don't draw the permit it will automatically return your general tag (this is an option during application).

Doesn't that cost you 20% of the tag cost? You get an 80% refund if you draw and return your general tag don't you? Gonna be a rock and a hard place for a lot of guys who were planning on 2023 and now either lose points and buy points this fall and next spring, or return their general tag if they don't draw LE and still get charged for returning it.

bsnedeker

WKR
Doesn't that cost you 20% of the tag cost? You get an 80% refund if you draw and return your general tag don't you? Gonna be a rock and a hard place for a lot of guys who were planning on 2023 and now either lose points and buy points this fall and next spring, or return their general tag if they don't draw LE and still get charged for returning it.

Yeah, and it looks like I was wrong about that anyway....looks like you lose your PPs either way. That's a tough pill to swallow.