Montana GMU 329

ridgefire

WKR
I am doing some research for Montana general elk (Archery) and curious what the hunting pressure is like in this unit during the last two weeks of Sept. I spoke with the Biologist and he said it is really busy and the elk get pretty call shy. How busy is busy? It doesnt appear like there are too many areas where you can get away from roads or trails and the Idaho border limits how far you can go. We have hunted over the hill in Idaho for years so familiar with the type of terrain and confident I can find the elk but worried about the amount of hunters. Is Montana in the Beaverheads worse as far as pressure or is it similiar to Idaho? Would I be better off looking in the Pioneers? The Biologist said there was not as much elk there but might have a little less pressure as well. I have a couple areas picked out and will head there this summer for a fishing/scouting trip. Thanks.

bsnedeker

WKR
A good way to make sure the pressure is more this year than last year is posting the specific general unit number on a public, searchable website.

Good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
R

ridgefire

WKR
Sorry. I did not realize that asking about whole mountain ranges is too specific of a question. I suppose I could have asked what the pressure is like in SW Montana. Elk country is big and I can narrow it down through research and scouting so not worried about that. I have never been in these mountain ranges in Montana in Sept. so unsure what the pressure is like. PM's are welcome. Thanks.

I've been hunting MT for yrs now. Each yr continues to get worse. Elk numbers het lower and hunting pressure gets higher where i hunt. Also the wolves where im at are a fairly common siting. From what I've seen the elk will not tolerate a large pack. Ive seen a pack of 7 a few years ago. The elk moved big time due to their activity. That place dried up in my opinion. I've yet to locate any spots that dont have some wolves. In the Beaverhead. In the 7 yrs ive been hunting it has teally changed and the locals all tell me the same that hunt the same area. I hunt within a few hour drive from where you asked about. I keep going back though cause i forbid to hunt CO and i never draw NM and only draw WY every 4 yrs.