Montana grizzly bear density

Hey guys looking for some information on grizzly bear densities in Montana elk units I’ve been searching all over to try and find something but have come up short. They do give a range map and areas there in but no hard numbers on population?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Greenhorn911
In general densities are highest around glacier and Yellowstone. The closer you get to them the more then are.

Heath I’m looking for something with hard numbers for each unit much like they do with the elk herd ex 50-150 bears or 1 bear per 20sq miles something along those lines I like numbers lol

bsnedeker

WKR
Call a biologist, they'll tell you a number that is WAY below what is actually there and readily admit it. I live near glacier and last year the biologist told me they estimated something like 300 grizz...lol.

Edit: I just checked my notes and it's even funnier than I remember. All the biologist was able to tell me was they caught 50 bears in the swan so they know there are at least that many!

Last edited:
Heath I’m looking for something with hard numbers for each unit much like they do with the elk herd ex 50-150 bears or 1 bear per 20sq miles something along those lines I like numbers lol

They don’t have a clue how many grizzlies there are. Even in dense areas like the Madison and Gravellys they don’t know if it’s 40 or 100. That’s what there aren’t hard numbers..

Will_m

WKR
Don't know the numbers but the bob is filthy with them. Not sure how many units that covers.

netman

WKR
In Virginia City I spoke to a forestry pilot. He told me that in one day this spring he seen 30 grizzlies out in the open fields of the Gravely Mountains while out flying around.

Elk97

WKR
Elk and grizzlies seem to have the same idea about a great place to live. Even areas that didn't have any griz even a few years ago now do have them. As others have said they are thicker the closer you get to Yellowstone or Glacier but be careful wherever you are. My two sons and I are hunting this September, two of us with bows (and 44s) and one carrying the shotgun.

All of the reported numbers are artificially low, and the F&G know it. But they've been told how to count them by feds that are pressured to keep them on the endangered list.

chaza402

FNG
A good friend and I drew a general tag. We booked a semi guided hunt in the Gravellys and I’m wondering if anyone has any information on elk and grizz in this country?

I’ll be honest- I’ve only ever hunted in black bear country. I’ve read a great deal on how to conduct a hunt but I truly won’t know until I’m on the ground.

If there are any articles or first hand experiences y’all might want to share it would be much appreciated!

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of grizz in the Gravelly range. Just Google it. I believe 4 hunters were mauled in 1 week in 2019. Keep a clean camp and be aware of your surrounds and you'll likely be fine.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk