Montana Group Application Points - Rounding question

TheCougar

WKR
I think I know the answer to these two questions, but I want get someone smarter than me to confirm my research...

1. For party application preference points, MT rounds up to the nearest whole number for draw purposes. So for example, we have 4 dudes that will go into the application with 7 total preference points, so our application will be treated as a "2 point" application for the group (rounded up from 1.75. (Three of the 4 hunters already have a point from last year and we will all buy points when we apply this year, for a total of 7 points).

2. A "2 point" party application for a elk combo or big game combo is a guaranteed draw (or at least always has been in the past).

They keep asking me to guarantee we are going to draw tags. It doesn't work that way, but I'm pretty sure we are good to go with the points we have. I make no guarantees!

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't think 4 guys can be in the same party? This is from the FWP section of MT Gov.

(2) Party applications. Where the commission has authorized party elk hunts, the following rules apply:

(a) Application for elk permits is limited to two members per party;

(b) Both applications will be considered as a single application for the purpose of the drawing; both members of the party will either be successful or unsuccessful.

(c) Applications must have all requested party information correctly presented. A party will be broken up only under the following circumstances:

(i) If both members of the party do not list their districts in the same order on their applications the party will be broken up and both members will be entered in the drawing individually.

(ii) If one member of the party is missing mandatory information such as date of birth, signature, etc. only that member will be eliminated from the drawings. The remaining member will be entered in the drawing individually.

Wapiti1

WKR
Bsnedeker, that is for LE permits. General tags are preference points and you can apply up to 5 in the party.

1.75 won't equal 2. They don't round. see excerpt below from here: http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/all/nonresidentCombo.html

Parties

Up to 5 applicants may apply as a party. FWP shall use an average of the number of preference points accumulated by those applicants to determine the party's preference points. FWP shall consider any fraction that result from the calculation of an average when determining that priority.

Are you guaranteed? No. Depends on how many other parties end up with fractional points. I'd say you have a better than 90% chance, but not 100. I'd tell them to pack their stuff and get ready.

Jeremy

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Bsnedeker, that is for LE permits. General tags are preference points and you can apply up to 5 in the party.

1.75 won't equal 2. They don't round. see excerpt below from here: http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/all/nonresidentCombo.html

Parties

Up to 5 applicants may apply as a party. FWP shall use an average of the number of preference points accumulated by those applicants to determine the party's preference points. FWP shall consider any fraction that result from the calculation of an average when determining that priority.

Are you guaranteed? No. Depends on how many other parties end up with fractional points. I'd say you have a better than 90% chance, but not 100. I'd tell them to pack their stuff and get ready.

Jeremy

Thank you. I found an old GoHunt article that said they rounded up. Sounds like that was either wrong or has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR

Parties

Jeremy

Looks like 1.75 should get it anyways. Here’s what I found for 2019.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Does anyone know if you can modify an application and add a group code after you submit and pay? No one is picking up the phone at game and fish and I couldn’t find anything online.