Montana HB 677, another gem.

Billinsd

WKR
Would it be harder for Eastern Montana Ranchers to continue to ranch if APR buys most ranches around them? How would this affect auctions, beef prices, and profits locally for them? Would this be a hardship?

BuzzH

WKR
Would it be harder for Eastern Montana Ranchers to continue to ranch if APR buys most ranches around them? How would this affect auctions, beef prices, and profits locally for them? Would this be a hardship?
Who cares if it would be?

When ConAg, Simplot, and other agribusinesses dominate the landscape do they care about the small mom and pop farm down the road? NO. Do the various state legislature where they operate try to pass legislation to get in the way of ConAg, Simplot, etc.? NO.

Same with corporate cattle ranches, corporate controlled feedlots etc. They could care less how they impact ranchers and cattle prices.

But, to answer your question, no I don't believe for a second that APR would have any kind of negative impact on cattle since they only lease some of their grazing rights to cattle ranchers. They are into bison and wildlife as a priority.

This thread has reminded me that its about time APR gets another donation.

Billinsd

WKR
I'm just curious, that's all. I wonder why some seem upset and what they have to lose. I'm very interested in Eastern Montana. I'm interested in the people and the culture. I feel like I'm back home in rural California in the 60s and early 70s there. Eastern Montana has the nicest people, it's the nicest place I know of, and it's remote and rural. I don't know much about it, the people etc. What I've been told is many are Catholic Germans, out to Central North Dakaota, then it's Luthern Sacandinavans East through MN and most of my relatives. I know I don't want to Winter in Montana. I'd be sad if things will change DRASTICALLY there. Oh, I love the Prairie, the native Prairie with native grasses!! I'm not opposed to what ADA is doing, I think. I'm torn. That's where I'm coming from.

hobbes

WKR
Right, but they aren't required to spend anything for testing their livestock...and yes, they're livestock thanks to Montana politics.

Ask a cattle/sheep rancher to voluntarily test their domestics to the tune of 15k a year and see what they say....

Like I said, no matter how much APR does to be good neighbors, they still get criticized, just like you're doing here. Thanks for proving that point.
Really, you consider the few points I've brought up criticism?

Okhotnik

WKR
There is an unfounded fear of APR by the locals in that part of the world, started by a handful of locals that actually do want to control everything in Montana.

As to limiting access, APR has opened more land to hunting and increased access in NE/NC Montana than any private landowner I'm aware of.

My Dad was a beneficiary of APR allowing access onto a property they acquired that he would have had ZERO chance of receiving permission to hunt from the previous NR owner. Further, APR is allowing access to at least 2 large blocks of previously inaccessible or very difficult public access prior to acquiring that same piece of property. I've also hunted several of their properties as well that is enrolled in Block Management. Their property is very well managed for the benefit of wildlife and the habitat is much better than surrounding public and private lands. Not sure what's not to like.

Who knows what the future will bring with APR, but there is absolutely nothing that I've seen to indicate they are inclined to stop allowing hunting and public access.

Further, they go through great lengths to remain good neighbors in spite of being treated like dirt by their fellow Montana residents in many cases.

I'm a fan of APR...best thing that's happened to that part of Montana as far as I'm concerned.
🤣

jmez

WKR
325 brucellosis test, over $15,000 annually.

I'll drive over from SD and test them and not charge mileage.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
Last fall on APR property...Dad and I were smiling too.

IMG_20201031_113215763.jpg

IMG_20201010_150913824.jpg

IMG_20201030_121659620_HDR.jpg

Billinsd

WKR
Last fall on APR property...Dad and I were smiling too.

IMG_20201031_113215763.jpg

IMG_20201010_150913824.jpg

IMG_20201030_121659620_HDR.jpg
Now you are talking!!!! I love that country. Makes me want to pack up and leave San Diego right now, it's too expensive to live here, and I don't mean money wise!! I'm green with envy!!

Last edited:

Okhotnik

WKR

Okhotnik

WKR

Busse has also served as board chair for Montana Conservation Voters and as North American board chair for Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. He lives in Kalispell.
North American board chair for Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. He lives in Kalispell.

:ROFLMAO:surprised BHA leaders are pushing for gun bans Buzz

brocksw

WKR
North American board chair for Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. He lives in Kalispell.

:ROFLMAO:surprised BHA leaders are pushing for gun bans Buzz
1. Busse is no longer with BHA, hasn't been for a while now.
2. What gun ban does Busse support? The article you shared doesn't talk about gun bans?
3. What on God's green earth does Busses stance on concealed carry have to do with the APR or MT bill 677? That's quite some mental gymnastics to link those three up.

OP
P

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
2. What gun ban does Busse support? The article you shared doesn't talk about gun bans?
3. What on God's green earth does Busses stance on concealed carry have to do with the APR or MT bill 677? That's quite some mental gymnastics to link those three up.
Whoa dude, put the facts down! Let me explain how things work these days in 2021. If someone doesn't agree with every single viewpoint you hold on every single issue they are either a communist or a fascist.
Therefore, anyone who works with them, in order to advance causes you might both agree on, is a traitor to the party and should be shunned as such.

1. He knows this but feels it would damage BHA more to represent it disingenuously.

His post had nothing to do with the issue of this thread. He’s just out screaming his hate for BHA into the wind again.

brocksw

WKR
Leaving tomorrow for a few day Turkey hunt on APR. I wonder when the APR is going to finally show themselves as the true boogeyman they are. They'd probably have to stop hiring locals that are hardcore hunters for that to happen.
collaborator

BuzzH

WKR
Leaving tomorrow for a few day Turkey hunt on APR. I wonder when the APR is going to finally show themselves as the true boogeyman they are. They'd probably have to stop hiring locals that are hardcore hunters for that to happen.
Good question...and good luck on the turkey hunt.

MTtrout

WKR
Wow, I thought I was loosing my mind for enjoying reading a thread, thank you resident BHA hater for the wake up....

To everyone else that actually contributed to this thread, thanks. It was nice to hear all sides. As of now, I respect APR’s mission. You can hunt the lands and even if someday that changes, so be it. I’ll gamble on them doing the right thing for wildlife instead of other big pocket folks that don’t value public interest and feel they have ownership of our wildlife.

I’m glad this Bill is dead, for now. It reminds me of another one several years back that would require landowners who wished to put “their” lands into a conversation easement to first get it approved from the almighty leaders-that have alternative interest on the land. Funny that the same people say they want to protect our hard earned dollars feel the need to regulate it in such a way!