Montana HB417 - ending special permits

MtGomer

WKR
HB 417 would end special deer, elk and antelope permits in hunting districts that are over objective pursuant to 87-1-323

note that 87-1-323 states “The department shall consider the specific concerns of private landowners when determining sustainable numbers”

What this will effectively do is make elk areas such as the Missouri River Breaks, Snowy Mountains, Bears Paw Mountains, Elkhorns, and the Beartooth Wildlife Management Area able to be hunted by residents OTC on a general license and available to 17k Non residents that acquire the Big Game/elk combo.

Obviously, people that are familiar with these areas know what that means for the quality of the hunting as well as the health of the herds that live on the publicly assessable portions of these units, if this is passed.
Elk are over populated because of lack of access for antlerless harvest, and won’t be brought into objective by the public slaughtering bulls on public land.

What this bill does do is allow large landowners the ability to sell more hunts, since their clients won’t have to acquire the tag in the draw.

Last edited:

Fitzwho

WKR
Hope it doesn't go through, but I guess if it goes, I will be cashing in my points for the first year (guess as soon as this fall) to get in while the getting is still good.

Selway

FNG
The majority of the mule deer trophy units in the state would also go to general.

In effect this would eliminate all limited entry deer, elk and antelope permits that are worth having in the state.

I'm shocked this actually got turned in to a bill.

This one seems almost too stupid to be real but I reckon we better be heard like we were on 143.

jmez

WKR
Not shocking at all. Get outfitters the majority of the NR tags, check . Then open up the entire state for their use.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Not shocking at all. Get outfitters the majority of the NR tags, check . Then open up the entire state for their use.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Don’t forget, add 9 more days the 11 week season for muzzle loaders. And let them use crossbows during archery too to eliminate the economic uncertainty of finding clients that are competent with a bow.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Wow.

And here I was thinking I wanted to get back to Montana to hunt at least one more time.

First it was 143, now this.

Looks like my bucket list got shorter.

Damn shape. Montana is a beautiful place.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What the heck is going on in Montana? They're going off the rails.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
I am a glass half full guy so, on the bright, just think of how much less pressure your old general hunting district haunts will have the first couple of years after this goes into effect...

Also, when I draw a Breaks sheep tag, there will be so many more eyes out in the field that might be willing to share the location of that 200” ram they spotted.

😀

Schaaf

WKR
It’s the result of legislators drunk with power after spending their entire lives dreaming of a super majority. Oh and cheap steaks bought by UPOM.

MT257

WKR
The majority of the mule deer trophy units in the state would also go to general.

In effect this would eliminate all limited entry deer, elk and antelope permits that are worth having in the state.

I'm shocked this actually got turned in to a bill.
Not sure any of the deer limited entry units are over objective. I think they would have to have a guideline or management plan first to figure out if they are over objective. I also have not seen an antelope objective number.

Selway

FNG
Not sure any of the deer limited entry units are over objective. I think they would have to have a guideline or management plan first to figure out if they are over objective. I also have not seen an antelope objective number.

Correct, for now.

The bill requires FWP to set objectives though. Do you really want this version of FWP with Gianforte's appointees and the Regional bios (that have bought in to the CWD extermination plan) to be setting those objectives? The same crew that pushed to double buck tags in one of the better deer units in the state just a week ago?

Schaaf

WKR
You have to dig really deep to find a unit objective for deer, but they do exist, and I believe they're all over objective haha.

Pretty sure it was Newberg who said the Montana legislature only assembles every other year, and most folks wish it was even less frequent than that.