Montana HD 270 rifle elk hunt

Hey, folks

When applying for resident tags this spring my wife had put in for them on her own as I am out of country right now (deployed), she chose 270 as her #1 for elk and of course got it, anyone happen to have any info on the unit they would be willing to share?

I know it is mostly weather dependent and a mainly migratory unit with some resident elk. I am collecting all the intel I can before calling biologists, wardens, etc. this hunt will be very special to her as it will be more than less my coming home “get away” with her and a chance at her first bull.

Any Input on the unit, elk habits, numbers, suggestions are very very much appreciated. Thank you.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience in the unit on foot, but have done a fair amount of research for it (mostly related to shed hunting) because I will be moving to the Bitterroot in a few months. That being said, I was able to find an elk study that deals with units 250, 270, and 334. It may be helpful to you.

Here are some maps from it:

1598353323684.png

1598353352350.png

Even though the data is old, with how habitual most ungulates are, I would imagine the same areas are probably still used. Also, the data is most likely from cow elk because that is usually what is collared and studied, but at least it might be a starting point for you.

Link to the study:

Last edited:
OP
NWMT_MountainBum
I have no experience in the unit on foot, but have done a fair amount of research for it (mostly related to shed hunting) because I will be moving to the Bitterroot in a few months. That being said, I was able to find an elk study that deals with units 250, 270, and 334. It may be helpful to you.

Here are some maps from it:

View attachment 209846

View attachment 209847

Even though the data is old, with how habitual most ungulates are, I would imagine the same areas are probably still used. Also, the data is most likely from cow elk because that is usually what is collared and studied, but at least it might be a starting point for you.

Link to the study:
Thanks for including the info and link, pretty good read and offered some great bits of knowledge. After looking at the wintering charts I’m definitely going to shift some of my plans. Thanks again.

Keep in mind those elk winter far from where they spend summer and fall. They won’t even do pre winter staging until the last week of the season and unless winter really kicks in by Thanksgiving week they won’t move toward staging areas either. If you hunt the first 2/3 of the season they’ll be in the same places they were in archery season.

How’d you guys do? Got on lots of elk during archery and even missed a great 7 point but didn’t hunt it at all during rifle.

OP
NWMT_MountainBum
We hunted it hard the first weekend and out hiked anyone else out there. Snow storm made it hard but we spotted two decent bulls at 800 or so, planned and move and made it but bad fog rolled in and essentially ruined it. By the time it lifted they were gone. We still hunted the timber they were near but didn’t turn up anything. There are elk in there for sure. Just have to put in the work. We haven’t been able to make it back down there.

I hunted this unit for decades. Guided there. Outfitted there. Killed a dozen or so bulls there. Any questions shoot me a message