Montana HD-315 West slope Crazy Mountains

fireguy65

Lil-Rokslider
I was fortunate to draw an extra cow tag..first time ever ... the tag is valid in Hd-315 only.... this is an area I have never hunted .... hoping someone on here would share some information as I don't know alot about this area only alot of its private and that its the first place the elk head during the winter or hunting season ... I have a block management map... but dont know where to even start ... just looking to fill the freezer with a cow... thank you in advance of any direction you could point me it.

hunterjmj

WKR
Find an point of access and just hunt it. I've hunted that country a few times without luck but have been in elk.

You are correct about it being mostly private. There are limited access points to USFS, a few state sections and hard to get to BLM. Your best bet is the BMA’s, but the elk don’t move much in the Shields. Wealthy out of state landowners have been buying up ranches over the last two decades and it has made it harder to get access.

chav0_12

FNG
I was fortunate to draw an extra cow tag..first time ever ... the tag is valid in Hd-315 only.... this is an area I have never hunted .... hoping someone on here would share some information as I don't know alot about this area only alot of its private and that its the first place the elk head during the winter or hunting season ... I have a block management map... but dont know where to even start ... just looking to fill the freezer with a cow... thank you in advance of any direction you could point me it.
Did you ever get into any elk last year? I see there are some surplus for the unit this year and was thinking about getting one. I know the crazies can be pretty rough, so I'm taking that into consideration. I was thinking of going over for archery to try and get a bull out of there too.

OP
F

fireguy65

Lil-Rokslider
I was lucky enough to have a family member work on a large ranch within the 315 unit. I hunted it mid November with rifle.... I did see lots of bulls but no cows .. was told I was about a week late as the weather changed and pushed them off the ranches. I ended up havesting a rag horn bull... and never using that cow tag.