Montana High Country Archery Killers

So moved up to Montana from Wyoming recently and while I'm sure I am crazy to try and not hunt the rut, I love the whole high country scouting and backpacking process that comes with early archery deer hunting. Also, just going off Robby's methodology for killing big deer, I think scouting hard and hunting early archery spot and stalk style may just be my best bet at a real special muley in a Montana general unit.

Do you folks know of any killers getting after high country muleys in September in Montana? I want to pick their brains.

I know Brian Barney and Ryan Lampers get after it here, but they both usually wait until the rut like most sane folks and hunt other states early. Budgetary and time restrictions will probably not allow me to stack too awful many tags in my pocket next year like those fellas do.

Stoked to hear what you guys come up with...

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Lucas Sterling (Sterling's Extreme Outdoors) gets after the mule deer and the wolves. He may do it during rifle though, but the guy is a beast of a hunter.

mt100gr.

WKR
So moved up to Montana from Wyoming recently and while I'm sure I am crazy to try and not hunt the rut, I love the whole high country scouting and backpacking process that comes with early archery deer hunting. Also, just going off Robby's methodology for killing big deer, I think scouting hard and hunting early archery spot and stalk style may just be my best bet at a real special muley in a Montana general unit.

Do you folks know of any killers getting after high country muleys in September in Montana? I want to pick their brains.

I know Brian Barney and Ryan Lampers get after it here, but they both usually wait until the rut like most sane folks and hunt other states early. Budgetary and time restrictions will probably not allow me to stack too awful many tags in my pocket next year like those fellas do.

Stoked to hear what you guys come up with...
In which part of the state have you found yourself?

This is something I have always threatened to go all-in on but the early season always ends up being a continuation of the busy season with my work. Cameras in play, big deer around, summer patterns...poof...velvet is off, and it's dang near rifle season.

Wapiti1

WKR
I used to when I lived there. It's been a lot of years since I did it. It takes some leg work in the summer to find good bucks and keep tabs on them. Time and proximity that I no longer have. I never did any backpacking for them, though. I hunted out of a camping trailer.

Don't discount the plains for some good archery opportunities. I killed several good deer in the bluff country along the front.

Jeremy

OP
Jaden Bales
In which part of the state have you found yourself?

This is something I have always threatened to go all-in on but the early season always ends up being a continuation of the busy season with my work. Cameras in play, big deer around, summer patterns...poof...velvet is off, and it's dang near rifle season.
I'm here in Bozeman... of course. :LOL:

OP
Jaden Bales
I used to when I lived there. It's been a lot of years since I did it. It takes some leg work in the summer to find good bucks and keep tabs on them. Time and proximity that I no longer have. I never did any backpacking for them, though. I hunted out of a camping trailer.

Don't discount the plains for some good archery opportunities. I killed several good deer in the bluff country along the front.

Jeremy
Interesting! I'll hit ya up in DM.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I'm here in Bozeman... of course. :LOL:
I'd plan on driving. I grew up here in Bozeman (and still live here), but I no longer hunter around here. You can put in for the bridger tag and shoot a 135" deer (or do that without a tag) but for a good trophy, I'd plan on driving at least 2 hours and probably more.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
Mule deer numbers are way down around the Flathead Valley where Lucas Sterling hunts. That dude puts in an insane amount of time scouting and hunting so be prepared to do the same to find the bucks that he does. That being said, one advantage you have in Montana over Wyoming is that Montana doesn't restrict you in terms of areas and season dates as much as Wyoming (whether that is good or bad is up for debate). So, you can hunt hard for early season archery mule deer for 6 weeks and if you don't find and shoot one of the caliber you want and still have a tag come rifle season (an additional 5 weeks) you can chase them during the rut as well. My point being there is no disadvantage to going after them early with a bow as it doesn't limit your opportunity in the rut if you don't find success.

OP
Jaden Bales
Mule deer numbers are way down around the Flathead Valley where Lucas Sterling hunts. That dude puts in an insane amount of time scouting and hunting so be prepared to do the same to find the bucks that he does. That being said, one advantage you have in Montana over Wyoming is that Montana doesn't restrict you in terms of areas and season dates as much as Wyoming (whether that is good or bad is up for debate). So, you can hunt hard for early season archery mule deer for 6 weeks and if you don't find and shoot one of the caliber you want and still have a tag come rifle season (an additional 5 weeks) you can chase them during the rut as well. My point being there is no disadvantage to going after them early with a bow as it doesn't limit your opportunity in the rut if you don't find success.
That's good to know about the general muley numbers up there. I really just enjoy going high and glassing in the summer. I did it all last summer in a couple different states and 5 different mountain ranges, so that's kinda my jam.

Yeah, that's a tough debate man. I saw a lot of good deer last year in Wyoming, so it'll be interesting to see what the comparison is like next summer.

I like your mindset there. No major downside. Lots of upsides. Might find some good elk while I'm at it. Might as well send it.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
It's weird how much it effects your priorities with the ability to hunt mule deer during the rut. I honestly prefer mule deer hunting to elk but since we always have the option of hunting the rut most guys tend to focus on elk in September. I started this season chasing mule deer up high but with the season starting later than normal I only gave it one weekend before switching to elk. I didn't kill my bull till the 27th then didn't get back to Montana mule deer till after Idaho's general deer season and a weekend chasing antelope out east which put me at the rifle opener.

Mountain bucks are my favorite though, I'm planning on shooting less rifle matches this year to free up scouting time this summer. Let me know if you want to meet up and chat sometime. Most of my good spots are in some heavy griz country and it's always nice having a partner in those spots.

Trial153

WKR
With some pre Season leg work I think you have a better chance of arrowing a better buck early season vs later in the rut. That said for me the mule deer rut is more a kin to when you first look a run on the river that was devoid of steelhead the day before and now your looking at fish stacked at every bend wondering where they came from. The rut is magic to me because every morning when that sun comes up I have no idea what buck may have moved in.

OP
Jaden Bales
G
With some pre Season leg work I think you have a better chance of arrowing a better buck early season vs later in the rut. That said for me the mule deer rut is more a kin to when you first look a run on the river that was devoid of steelhead the day before and now your looking at fish stacked at every bend wondering where they came from. The rut is magic to me because every morning when that sun comes up I have no idea what buck may have moved in.
Good analogy man. I got a similar response from a guy who gets after it yesterday. I haven't hunted the mule deer rut yet so dont know what I'm missing.