Montana How 1st, 2nd, 3rd Choice Works

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
So even as a resident I get confused with Montana’s draw system. I’m curious if someone can explain to me how the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, choices work. Do they look at your first choice and if there’s no tags left then move to your second choice? Or do they look at the 1st and 2nd choices and pick from one of the two? I’m not necessarily worried about 3rd choice so much as I’m assuming that there’s no hope in the 3rd choice.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Draw from first. If you dont get the tag. they apply you to your second ect... that's my understanding anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Some places have to be your first in order to draw though so just read each districts regs carefully.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Your second choice will only be considered if there is quota remaining after all applicants with that district as a first choice have been filled; or the quota is unlimited and allows second choice applicants.

Your third choice will only be considered if there is a quota remaining or if the quota is unlimited and allows second and third choice applicants. Your best chance to use your second and third choice is if you choose a permit where the drawing odds are 100% or unlimited and they're allowed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
Your second choice will only be considered if there is quota remaining after all applicants with that district as a first choice have been filled; or the quota is unlimited and allows second choice applicants.

Your third choice will only be considered if there is a quota remaining or if the quota is unlimited and allows second and third choice applicants. Your best chance to use your second and third choice is if you choose a permit where the drawing odds are 100% or unlimited and they're allowed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is spot on. 2nd and 3rd choice doesn't do you much good in montana vs other states.

Wapiti406

WKR
This is spot on. 2nd and 3rd choice doesn't do you much good in montana vs other states.

Agreed, 2nd and 3rd choice has been more or less useless since FWP did away with strickly cow tags and started drawing B tags. When every applicant can apply for both a special bull/either sex permit and a "B" cow tag in the same year, it is almost impossible for the number of first choice applicants to not out number the permits given in a given district. I drew a cow tag on a 2nd choice when I was kid. I'm not going to hold my breath on that ever happening again.