Montana hunting partner from the Pacific NW

400orBust

FNG
So, this is awkward for me but...I'm looking for a hunting partner. This is not going to be an easy position to fill but if filled I promise amazing times and one of the most loyal friends you've ever had. I live in SW Washington but was born and raised in Montana and that is where I go hunt every year almost exclusively for elk. I'm an elk nut and am very successful. I think 2020 was 20 in a row, DIY, public land, bull elk for me and all but one of those was a general tag. I do deer hunt but elk are my priority. For the most part I'm a solo hunter. I have no problem hunting alone and often times prefer it. I've helped 2 buddies get their first ever elk and really enjoyed that teaching aspect so I'm ok with a newbie or an experienced partner...that really is of no concern. My goal in this is to find a down-to-earth, decent, family guy that is solid, trustworthy, reliable, committed when things get hard and has the time and money to embark on weeks of elk hunting each year. I turn 44 this year and while I'm in good shape I recognize that backcountry elk hunting solo is becoming harder. I really struggled getting my bull out last year, all mine seem to die on a steep hillside with not a tree around to tie off to and miles from a road. But, then, that kinda describes me, I have no problem going deep, staying out well past dark and finding those elk hiding from the masses. I both archery and rifle hunt. Ideally, I'd like to find someone who lives at least relatively close to me. Shooting together, testing gear, planning, BBQ'ing and developing a friendship is important to me. I am a pretty extreme introvert but but those who I work with would probably never guess it; I am very successful and work hard at being outgoing at my job. Additionally, I'm a pretty conservative guy, go to church every week and try to live my life in that light. I love a cold IPA or a glass of red wine with a steak. I don't smoke and this probably wouldn't work if you did. I'm am intellectual in my professional life but very handy at almost everything I touch...I weld, wrench, and hammer with the best of them. Since I'm a native Montanan I get a tag every year and, depending on schedule, typically commit up to 6 weeks a year elk hunting if necessary. Since both mine and my in-laws still all live in Montana I will hunt with my father, father-in-law, or brothers-in-law but finding a long term hunting partner is my goal. I realize as I get older that the best times in life are shared with true, close friends. Aside from what I mentioned above you'd be more outgoing than me, have an unending sense of adventure, able to be encouraging at day 10 when nothing has gone right on the hunt, be wiling to work ( I can't stand people who stand and watch someone else work), and be the one who gets up first and starts the fire in the wall tent when it's a cold snowy morning ( I do like to sleep!). If you've read this far maybe you are interested? Drop me a note, lets grab a beer and chat. The pics are some of my elk with my two best on the wood and rock.

Attachments

• 20210521_202659_resized.jpg
    20210521_202659_resized.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 20210521_202913_resized.jpg
    20210521_202913_resized.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 20210521_202944_resized.jpg
    20210521_202944_resized.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
OP

400orBust

FNG
I've had a few responses but nothing has panned out and it has been almost a year so thought I'd bump this up to the top. If you are interested tell me about yourself, your family, what else you do besides hunting, etc.
Last year I had a great time elk hunting again. I mountain biked into a new area and was into elk and arrowed a really nice 5 pt bull. Unfortunately, I was at 9,000 feet in rock and scree and he bailed off the side of the mountain into a huge timbered valley. I searched and searched for two days but never found him. That is a terrible feeling. I had a few other close encounters but couldn't get it done during archery. First day of rifle I shot a rag (the photo doesn't show how steep it was!). I again packed my bull out solo.
In 5 weeks I'm heading to New Zealand for my first red stag hunt and I'm super excited. I hope to get it done with my bow. I'd love to find someone adventurous enough to do more of this type of stuff.

Interested? Write me, lets chat and see if we can stand each other.

Attachments

• 2021Elk.jpg
    2021Elk.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
OP

400orBust

FNG
I'm back from New Zealand. It was a pretty fun trip aside from all the covid hoops to jump through. I didn't know what to expect so I set my expectations low and had a great time. I tried hard to get one with my bow but couldn't make it happen so had to resort to a rifle. The red stag is 390+ (green) there were a couple that probably scored more but I like the way this one looked. I didn't intend to shoot two but when I saw the white one I couldn't get it out of my mind. It has a recessed gene that, when it shows up, results in a lack of pigmentation in the hair. It is not an albino as the eyes, nose and hoofs still have color. This is quite a remarkable animal because typically, on the rare occasion this happens, the coat is tan or light brown, this stag was very white and just beautiful. I figured I'd never have an opportunity to shoot one so white again even if I ever found another "white" one. He was very old and likely wouldn't live much longer. I couldn't find him for several days after seeing him but on my last day, near last light I found him.

Is anyone up for adventures like this? Not necessarily New Zealand but I'm still looking for a solid friend/hunting partner.

Attachments

• RedStag.jpg
    RedStag.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 92
  • WhiteStag.jpg
    WhiteStag.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 93

Ghanson4

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in SW Washington as well, I don't have much hunting experience due to not growing up in a hunting family but would be interested in meeting up. If you want to meet up for a beer or some salmon fishing and talk I'm in. PM me and we could exchange some info if you want.

Born and raised SW WA but leaving. I’m sure you will find people here but there are a ton of good pacific Nw people on ifish if you need another route. I salmon fish with a bunch of them that I meant thru messages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grainhog

FNG
To clarify you're looking for someone who lives on the south side in Washington? I'd be interested in discussing but live in western Montana.

Venom One

WKR
FYI - I responded to 400's partner request via PM several months ago and we hit it off. We live about 10 min from each other and share similar personalities/traits/interests so hopefully this turns out to be an awesome friendship. Plans for Montana next year have already begun. Having hunted solo for so many years, this will be a new experience, but I'm looking forward to it.

grainhog

FNG
FYI - I responded to 400's partner request via PM several months ago and we hit it off. We live about 10 min from each other and share similar personalities/traits/interests so hopefully this turns out to be an awesome friendship. Plans for Montana next year have already begun. Having hunted solo for so many years, this will be a new experience, but I'm looking forward to it.
Does he prefer boxers or briefs in the backcountry? Asking for a friend. Jk good for you, many seasons of camaraderie in fruitful pursuit of game to you both!