Montana Legal Elk

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going through different units on Montana’s FWP website and I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the way the classify legal elk in a unit. So in the general elk license row it’ll say either sex, spike bull or antlerless, brow tined bull or antlerless then give you the season dates and all that. My question is say I pick a general unit and it says spike bull or antlerless can I only shoot a spike or cow?? It doesn’t make sense to me so it’s got thinking I’m wrong. Just want some clarification.

bsnedeker

WKR
Sounds like you've got it figured out. That is what it means.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
P

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
Hmm odd to me that they would allow you to shoot a spike bull in units that are typically limited entry..what gives??

Not sure what unit you’re looking at but the branch antlered bull tag might be limited quota.

OP
P

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
No unit in particular, here was one that I noticed. Unit 339

Attachments

• 2CDFF879-6915-44A8-85E3-DA102E58B704.png
    2CDFF879-6915-44A8-85E3-DA102E58B704.png
    492.5 KB · Views: 69

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the trophy bull units will allow either antlerless only or spike/antlerless on general tag. Not sure the reasoning, but it’s been that way for years

jmez

WKR
I’m going through different units on Montana’s FWP website and I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the way the classify legal elk in a unit. So in the general elk license row it’ll say either sex, spike bull or antlerless, brow tined bull or antlerless then give you the season dates and all that. My question is say I pick a general unit and it says spike bull or antlerless can I only shoot a spike or cow?? It doesn’t make sense to me so it’s got thinking I’m wrong. Just want some clarification.
Correct, on a general tag you can only shoot a spike or cow. You need a permit to shoot a bull.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

KineKilla

WKR
Not a whole lot different from here in UT. We have "spike only" units and "any bull" units. Both tags are available in limitied quantities over the counter.

Most limited entry units are also the spike only units. You get to look at and admire the trophy bulls but cannot shoot one.

Our antlerless hunts are drawn permits.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Looking at 339 a gen license allows spikes and cows in bow season, spikes only in gun season except for youths under 15 who can still shoot spikes. Then the permit 339-20 which has a quota of 40 and if you draw that you can shoot any elk including cows, spikes, or branch antlered bulls.