Montana Mule Deer 2019

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems like a lot of people are pretty excited about being disappointed with hunting.
The mule deer in Montana HAVE taken a hit. They ARE harder to find, but man... listening to some of the local hunters around here makes me want to take the gas pipe. Like everyone, I have my opinions. The past 4 years have been extremely tough, but 2019 was better. More big bucks were spotted and taken than in the previous 3 years. Mature buck numbers seem to be increasing. We're turning up good bucks in areas that haven't produced mature bucks in decades.
2018 winter was very tolerable until January & February, but the animals calved and fawned out after the worst of the weather had passed. We've had an incredibly light winter so far in '19-'20. The temps are about to plummet, but the more I read and learn about mule deer, the more excited I am about the future!IMG_1732.JPGIMG_1733.JPGIMG_1735.JPGIMG_1737.JPG

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
not a surprise, but it really depends where you are, it's a pretty big state :)- there are areas that have been hit extremely hard and still in pretty dire straights, others have bounced back rather well (southeast Montana for one)

the habitat is still pretty darn healthy in most areas, so it's simply a matter of some time (and a few mild to normal winters) and we'll see a good bounce back across the state

and congrats on a beautiful buck!

mt100gr.

WKR
I share your optimism. We've seen and/or shot (camera and rifle) some really nice bucks and some older age class deer over the last few years. Some areas do need to recover, though. They're out there - but not under every tree😉.

First off nice buck - congrats to you! Nice to know that in at least your state the mule deer are doing a little better. I wish it was that way in my state, sadly our mule deer are in trouble. Hoping our winter gives them a break this year so they at least make it through in good shape.

deadwolf

WKR
Congrats on a really nice buck!!

Didn’t hunt Montana in ‘19, but did in ‘18, and I thought we saw more mature bucks than we had in the previous 6-7 years. Also saw a TON of young bucks, and that has me excited for this upcoming year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
Great buck! Even better pictures! Glad to hear the optimism and that the herd is looking better. Thinking about taking my two kids to Montana this year for their fist Mule deer hunt. Congrats again, great write up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MTbow

FNG
Boy he had all the right stuff going, good work!
I have spent the last six seasons hunting/learning mountain mulies here in nw mt. It tough but if you can find country that the deer like and wolves don’t, they’re up there. These types of areas might be rough but you may not have much competition from other hunters either. Keep at it, good luck in 2020

WCB

WKR
I agree...used to guide in MT and hunt it every other year basically. From the entire state I saw a better caliber of bucks being harvested just by the few people I know hunting it (most are not residents of MT). IMO also there seems to be an influx of older age class bucks. Not sure if more people are being selective or hunters are getting lazier and not covering as much ground, but I had the same experience as you.

rmarshall

WKR
It seems the mule deer have taken a hit all over the west, but there are some bright spots, always great to see that kind of optimism. You scored on a great buck. One day I'll chase muleys someplace besides Utah.. though Utah has been good to us over the years. I can't complain,