Montana mule deer hunting tips?

Trev93

FNG
First time hunter in the state of Montana. Any tips, tricks, or anything I need to know? I know a lot about hunting the state but never can know too much and I know I don’t know enough to go out have fun and shoot a buck. Any tips would help. Thinking about going central/east.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted the breaks and south east, both times we just covered a ton of ground. It’s a target rich environment in both areas, but just takes time to find the right one in the right situation. Both hunts we drove around a lot and walked a lot to find what we were looking for.

S.Clancy

WKR
I’ve hunted the breaks and south east, both times we just covered a ton of ground. It’s a target rich environment in both areas, but just takes time to find the right one in the right situation. Both hunts we drove around a lot and walked a lot to find what we were looking for.
Sounds like you got it figured out

hobbes

WKR
Get in shape and glass early mornings and last light. too many people run through an area, slow down
Definitely more active early and late but I'd add that during the rut you may find a buck on his feet anytime or you may find one bedded by picking an area apart mid day. It's definitely easier on their feet.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted be out at day break and last light the muleys up is not an elk rut but can be a lot of fun if you time it right🤙