Montana Mule Deer on the Front range

I hunt waterfowl every early November in NWC Montana. I am trying to get more familiar with this part of the state as it's 6 hours from home. I finally applied and drew a non res General tag. I own property in the Yaak and am there frequently. White tail rut could get very interesting there, as there are a lot of Mountain Bucks on public land. But I really crave a mule deer.

I've gone over OnX and Google. As well as looked at harvest statistics. Was hoping to find an area within 6ish hours of Spokane that was more Mulie friendly, but without elk. Simply for less hunters, as I think the season run concurrently ? No interest in Elk.

Seems to be plenty of public land on the front from Lincoln up to the Rez. When I drive over the pass and tool around in those areas, it seems very Mulie friendly. I've seen Mulie bucks on the Teton just inside the Choteau city limits. But I've never ventured off the flats thus far.

A great hunt for me would be able to glass multiple deer (Just deer keeps it exciting....I don't need to see multiple bucks per day...just stay motivated) and be able to take a 4X4. A 140-150" deer would be close to epic.

The above possible in this region?

ianpadron

WKR
I hunt waterfowl every early November in NWC Montana. I am trying to get more familiar with this part of the state as it's 6 hours from home. I finally applied and drew a non res General tag. I own property in the Yaak and am there frequently. White tail rut could get very interesting there, as there are a lot of Mountain Bucks on public land. But I really crave a mule deer.

I've gone over OnX and Google. As well as looked at harvest statistics. Was hoping to find an area within 6ish hours of Spokane that was more Mulie friendly, but without elk. Simply for less hunters, as I think the season run concurrently ? No interest in Elk.

Seems to be plenty of public land on the front from Lincoln up to the Rez. When I drive over the pass and tool around in those areas, it seems very Mulie friendly. I've seen Mulie bucks on the Teton just inside the Choteau city limits. But I've never ventured off the flats thus far.

A great hunt for me would be able to glass multiple deer (Just deer keeps it exciting....I don't need to see multiple bucks per day...just stay motivated) and be able to take a 4X4. A 140-150" deer would be close to epic.

The above possible in this region?
Absolutely possible.

My parents live up in Eureka, shoot me a PM to discuss specifics if you'd like.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Why not hunt the Cabinets south of Yaak? Beautiful, rugged, and closer to you. There are mulies in NW MT.

Yes, MT deer and elk seasons are concurrent for both archery and general season. The best deer hunting will be mid-late Nov during a migration/rut hunt. MT isn't nice to the deer by allowing unlimited tags during the rut.

If you really want to hunt the front range, PM me and I'll point you in the right direction. You won't find an elk free area until you get well out of the mountains to the east. Probably farther than 6 hours from Yaak.

Jeremy

jimmy33

WKR
PM me and ill help you. I know some areas near troy...maybe we can swap some areas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

litework

FNG
NW MT is not for the faint of heart as I am sure all of the above are aware. Dense steep terrain with limited country above timber line and squirrel factories a plenty.

Would enjoy swapping beta/stories. New to the site.
Thanks
Brian