Montana mule

netman

WKR
So while bear hunting in Montana I found and bought a mule. 15.1 hands 13 yoa John.
Of course I didn’t have a trailer with me so I have to go back in a couple weeks to pick him up.
I’m in need of all the tack and saddle.
I asked the mule owner what type of bit he suggested. He said he uses a Tom Thumb Snaffle. I spoke to a friend who trains mules and he suggested a correction bit.
What bit do you use and recommend?
What’s your suggestion for a saddle? I’ve been looking at a Steve Edward’s saddle.
Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
I’ve attached a picture of Buck.

Attachments

• AD5550EF-8FD7-4967-A8E6-AB3F3303E8ED.png
    AD5550EF-8FD7-4967-A8E6-AB3F3303E8ED.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 29

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If he does well in the bit that they have been riding him in, probably no need to change it. I know jack about mules though, so I will let the mule experts on the forum take it from here :)

As far as bits go you want whatever the least you could get away with. I rode in a hack when I started out and eventually went to broken egg snaffles with except for my big kid mule I got a free schlicer (not sure how to spell it) that I would call moderate. It has a brass roller that my mule loves. He plays with it when he is happy. Really you want some control when the time comes but it needs to be comfortable in light hands the rest of the time. You want to avoid thin bars or twisted chains. I see a lot of comments out there that say "ive never worked with a mule what do I need?" Mules are equines and I don't have tons of experience but horses and mules work with similar gear as long as it fits them.
Saddles I can only tell you what I would do, I would have one built custom for that mule.
I ride my mules in bits, hacks, halters, horse saddles, mule saddles, pack saddles, bareback, sometimes no head gear at all and walk with them on a lead. Just use them a lot and they will follow you where ever

Oh and one piece of advise I got from an old timer was never ever ride without spurs !!
I follow this always, my spurs are just old rodeo turned in spurs with the rowels taken off so don't be picturing some clanky 6 inch diameter meat cutters like movies like to get all wrong. You will at some point need to kick an equine if your in a rough spot and your animal is not totally sure of what you want.