Montana muzzleloader season

MT257

WKR
Some people cant move based on hunting seasons and regs, and i dont think you would want all elk hunters living in a few states out west. Some people are just scared of change. I have never seen the phobias like those exhibited towards nonresidents by those who live in the west and hunt elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What kinda phobias are you talking about?

Redarrow

FNG
I’m not necessarily in favor of a muzzle loader season, but I wouldn’t complain if they took 2 weeks from the general season, either the first or last 2 weeks of the season and turned it into a muzzle loader season.

The deer in MT get hammered every year and this would most likely keep some casual hunters at home. JMO

MT257

WKR
I’m not necessarily in favor of a muzzle loader season, but I wouldn’t complain if they took 2 weeks from the general season, either the first or last 2 weeks of the season and turned it into a muzzle loader season.

The deer in MT get hammered every year and this would most likely keep some casual hunters at home. JMO
I agree the rifle season could be shorter. I would support removing the last two weeks. So many deer get hammered the last two weeks cause they are love struck. Imagine the deer quality if we could have if we stopped the slaughter of love stricken mule deer?

MT257

WKR
Scared nonresidents are going to ruin, kill and destroy everything.

Non residents pay for a lot of stuff at the FWP level. I’m just saying doubt a change comes to seasons as it seems it’s very difficult to pass as most residents don’t like the idea. But don’t tell me those that move to this state don’t try and change shit. Take Bozeman for example. Some of the most fertile soil in the state. Was always a ag anc ranching community. Word got out about it, out of staters moved in changed it from what it was to more like how it was where they came from. Bozeman is nowhere near that ag or ranching community, now it’s nothing but subdivisions and a pretty liberal community. So it’s not a scared to death thought. It’s become reality.

point being nonresidents see what we have and decide I want some of that move here. Don’t like something and want just a little change to accommodate them. That’s what gets the ball rolling

Non residents pay for a lot of stuff at the FWP level. I’m just saying doubt a change comes to seasons as it seems it’s very difficult to pass as most residents don’t like the idea. But don’t tell me those that move to this state don’t try and change shit. Take Bozeman for example. Some of the most fertile soil in the state. Was always a ag anc ranching community. Word got out about it, out of staters moved in changed it from what it was to more like how it was where they came from. Bozeman is nowhere near that ag or ranching community, now it’s nothing but subdivisions and a pretty liberal community. So it’s not a scared to death thought. It’s become reality.

point being nonresidents see what we have and decide I want some of that move here. Don’t like something and want just a little change to accommodate them. That’s what gets the ball rolling

This happens all over the country, as populations increase people have to go somewhere. Not saying it is good, it just happens.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Montana has 5 weeks where you can use your muzzle loader. Have at it. There isn't an overwhelming majority of sportsmen wanting a separate season; just a few individuals. And looking at recent history, most are opposed to it.

Mt Al

WKR

Right. On. The. Money. When I came to Bozeman from Billings it was "Moo U" ("Moo" being what cows say) and an ag town. Got cool, cool people moved here and...just read MT257s post above. Same for Missoula, Boise, all of Colorado. I have the freedom to move, but just going to stick it out, so dealing with it.

Result: restrictions on access to where hunting used to be allowed, very crowded trail heads and public land, game pushed to more unhuntable private land. Just reality.

So, yes, resident hunters have a very real, legitimate, proven concern about non residents and non resident hunters. Doesn't mean they're not awesome people, potentiall more ethical, humane, even "better" hunters having a trip of a lifetime. Same for any western state. Why would anyone feel any different?

Right. On. The. Money. When I came to Bozeman from Billings it was "Moo U" ("Moo" being what cows say) and an ag town. Got cool, cool people moved here and...just read MT257s post above. Same for Missoula, Boise, all of Colorado. I have the freedom to move, but just going to stick it out, so dealing with it.

Result: restrictions on access to where hunting used to be allowed, very crowded trail heads and public land, game pushed to more unhuntable private land. Just reality.

So, yes, resident hunters have a very real, legitimate, proven concern about non residents and non resident hunters. Doesn't mean they're not awesome people, potentiall more ethical, humane, even "better" hunters having a trip of a lifetime. Same for any western state. Why would anyone feel any different?

But the people you are talking about causing this situation are residents. Nonresidents do not make an ag area nonag. We are talking about 2 different subsets of people.

What would 1 week of ml hurt? I guess you rifle hunters think it would hunt your elk population before you got your hunt, that’s the only downside i can see.

Actually, I would be fine with a ML season in some units INSTEAD of a rifle hunt. Maintain opportunity by sacrificing technological advantage.

But a special season to cater to them? No way.

Mt Al

WKR
But the people you are talking about causing this situation are residents. Nonresidents do not make an ag area nonag. We are talking about 2 different subsets of people.

What would 1 week of ml hurt? I guess you rifle hunters think it would hunt your elk population before you got your hunt, that’s the only downside i can see.

Good point on paragraph #1. Can't speak for others, but new residents who change things were once non residents. Thus the concern, but good point. Also, non resident hunters ain't bad people, they're great people for the most part. When they move here the political climate actually gets better - even better point you're making.

Paragraph #2 has already been explained. You want a ML season for your personal reasons, others don't for their personal reasons. "I guess" - not advisable, you're jumping to really silly conclusions, which is hurting your already non effective rant. "hurt your elk population" may be the only downside YOU, personally, can see. Can't imagine you can't see other people's downsides, they've been spelled out here. Most MT hunters want a shorter rifle season vs. a new special season for a very tiny group of people. How about a lever action season with only straight walled cases, flat point bullets and no optics? A pistol season - but no semi autos? An atlatl season? A traditional archery only season? How far do you want to go when you're asking for special treatment? This forum isn't the place to change Montana's hunting seaons, but certainly a place to ask the question. You got answers and got even more upset. You're actually hurting your cause.

You're welcome, I'm out.

^^ I went to moo U back before it became cool or was the state collage of Bridger Bowl 😁. Best fertile soil in the state.
One can choose to use muzzleloader for 5 weeks during general season, but we don't need a new ML separate season.
Not all of us here are greedy a$$holes cutting and subdividing our lands for the masses.

OP
western406
There has been some good points on both sides of the fence. MT AL and MT257. I definitely see how implementing a new season such as muzzleloader would make everyone else feel like they would need their own season too and am in total agreement. I am all for shortening the current rifle season. I think Redarrow, MT257, and MTForester are onto something.These elk and deer get hammered hard then after with those shoulder seasons for cow elk. (And that’s a conversation for a different form that’s probably already out there) As for the folks that have the consensus of “Don’t like it? Then move.” That’s not what this form was started for. I’m not some gung ho guy advocating for a new muzzleloader season in Montana. Just was curious and there wasn’t much information out there about it. I appreciate all the guys with good info and opinions and I definitely have a new outlook on the topic.