Montana muzzleloader season

OXN939

WKR
There has been some good points on both sides of the fence. MT AL and MT257. I definitely see how implementing a new season such as muzzleloader would make everyone else feel like they would need their own season too and am in total agreement. I am all for shortening the current rifle season. I think Redarrow, MT257, and MTForester are onto something.These elk and deer get hammered hard then after with those shoulder seasons for cow elk. (And that’s a conversation for a different form that’s probably already out there) As for the folks that have the consensus of “Don’t like it? Then move.” That’s not what this form was started for. I’m not some gung ho guy advocating for a new muzzleloader season in Montana. Just was curious and there wasn’t much information out there about it. I appreciate all the guys with good info and opinions and I definitely have a new outlook on the topic.
Not an MT resident, just a casual observer. It seems to be a consensus that the rifle season is too long and puts too much pressure on the animals. And, blackpowder seasons across the board result in fewer hunters and a lower harvest... so I guess I'm just confused why everyone is opposed to making a week or two of the general season blackpowder only.

S.Clancy

WKR
Id love it if they made it a primitive season after the 1st of november for mule deer. That way guys couldnt bitch about a lack of opportunity but would make it a lot harder for them to shoot a 2 year old roadside rutter.
This would be awesome!

Jon Boy

WKR
Not an MT resident, just a casual observer. It seems to be a consensus that the rifle season is too long and puts too much pressure on the animals. And, blackpowder seasons across the board result in fewer hunters and a lower harvest... so I guess I'm just confused why everyone is opposed to making a week or two of the general season blackpowder only.
Me too. I think it's a lack of motivation for most, they just want to be able to hammer young rutted up mule deer with a rifle last two weeks of season after they fail miserably at chasing elk down on small state sections and over run block management sense that is what rifle season has turned into in Montana. Makes me sick. Especially after just coming back from a phenomenal muzzleload hunt in idaho that took place entirely on public land and I saw more bulls in one day than I've seen in 4 rifle seasons in Montana combined.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
I’d like to see the last 2 weeks turned into a muzzy season running same regs as Colorado and it be a draw tag this states options for a control deer tag sucks and it would be huge fir saving the last weekend forky getting killed off the mirror of the pick up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Boy

WKR
I’d like to see the last 2 weeks turned into a muzzy season running same regs as Colorado and it be a draw tag this states options for a control deer tag sucks and it would be huge fir saving the last weekend forky getting killed off the mirror of the pick up

Hell make it even more restrictive like Oregon and idahos! I don't care, just limit harvest while not decreasing hunting opportunity.

OXN939

WKR

I think Nevada has it right. No magnified optics, but they do allow 209 ignition and sabots. That way, you've got true, single shot, muzzleloading rifles wearing irons that kill as ethically as possible within that limited range.

cgasner1

WKR
I’ve hunted in 3 states with my gun the open ignition and musket cap has never failed honestly think it would be cool draw tag and make it so if you drew that’s only tag you hunt just like our other mule deer tags but besides all that I’d rather the season just be shortened if we couldn’t get a short weapon hunt it’s just to long Fwp manages this state for opportunity and not trophy which is fine but our trophy bucks will never be what they could on the public if the don’t change something

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Id love it if they made it a primitive season after the 1st of november for mule deer. That way guys couldnt bitch about a lack of opportunity but would make it a lot harder for them to shoot a 2 year old roadside rutter.
Lets be honest, most from Montana are against any type of change that doesn't allow them to hunt rutting bucks without a rifle. They like it how it was in the 1950s and think there's no need for a change now. I'm all about your comment. That or make it a draw past mid November for rifle. Even if residents get it every other year it would be a great change. It doesn't take 6 weeks to shoot a "last day meat buck" blindly running around rutting when a mature doe would've given you more meat in the freezer.

Last edited:

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
Let's be honest, most from Montana are against any type of change that doesn't allow them to hunt rutting bucks without a rifle. They like it how it was in the 1950s and think there's no need for a change now. I'm all about your comment. That or make it a draw past mid November for rifle. Even if residents get it every other year it would be a great change. It doesn't take 6 weeks to shoot a "last day meat buck" blindly running around rutting when a mature doe would've given you more meat in the freezer.
Exactly. What I've gathered from this thread is "change is scary" and "if you don't like it, go hunt in another state" :rolleyes:

Exactly. What I've gathered from this thread is "change is scary" and "if you don't like it, go hunt in another state" :rolleyes:
Oh?

If we are building straw men to beat on I guess I could say that what I've gathered is "I've just moved to this wonderful location and I'd like to change it to be more like the _______ I fled."

I'd say such a thing but I'm not sure it would move the conversation very far, so I'll abstain.

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Oh?

If we are building straw men to beat on I guess I could say that what I've gathered is "I've just moved to this wonderful location and I'd like to change it to be more like the _______ I fled."

I'd say such a thing but I'm not sure it would move the conversation very far, so I'll abstain.
Born and raised in MT and I'd gladly take any change that's in an actual movement towards some type of management.

Born and raised in MT and I'd gladly take any change that's in an actual movement towards some type of management.
I've got the old 517 serial number as well but that wasn't my point. My thought is that oversimplifying your stance and then ridiculing it wasn't helpful. I thought I was rather poignant but I've been wrong before.

Legend

WKR
No thanks. We have a 5 week long gun season. Use the muzzleloader if you want.

Legend

WKR
Good point Jon Boy. Again my point is there are plenty of opportunity to use a muzzleloader. So just use one if you want.

Jon Boy

WKR
Good point Jon Boy. Again my point is there are plenty of opportunity to use a muzzleloader. So just use one if you want.
Youre missing the point. We are trying to TAKE AWAY opportunity from the rifle season because it is absurd the season we have. And sense people will bitch about lack of opportunity, replace those dates with a weapon with much lower success rates.