Montana muzzy season

Legend

WKR
The most high tech that meets the state law will be a traditional muzzleloader with a fast twist barrel. I chose the pedersoli hawken with a 1:24 twist to shoot conicals. In my simple interpretation of the law if it doesn't look like a traditional muzzleloader it probably isn't legal.

khuber84

WKR
The most high tech that meets the state law will be a traditional muzzleloader with a fast twist barrel. I chose the pedersoli hawken with a 1:24 twist to shoot conicals. In my simple interpretation of the law if it doesn't look like a traditional muzzleloader it probably isn't legal.
Conicals are a no go in MT, at least my interpretation, 100% lead projectile only. Many manufacturers offer Northwest legal rifles that conform to WA OR ID regs which sound pretty similar to the MT regs, but I don't know if they're legal here or not. So much gray area and vague description in their published regs.

Legend

WKR
Conicals are a no go in MT, at least my interpretation, 100% lead projectile only. Many manufacturers offer Northwest legal rifles that conform to WA OR ID regs which sound pretty similar to the MT regs, but I don't know if they're legal here or not. So much gray area and vague description in their published regs.
I shoot 100% lead conicals. And i visited with the staff at fwp who were drafting all the documents for this season. Conicals are good in Montana as long as they are lead.

lokifox

FNG
Just ordered myself a new to me TC .50 cal to use next year. Going to try to track down some fiber-optic sights for it, but I may go down the road of reading the law as black and white and using a red dot if I can fabricate a mount.

The law is the law right?

khuber84

WKR
Just ordered myself a new to me TC .50 cal to use next year. Going to try to track down some fiber-optic sights for it, but I may go down the road of reading the law as black and white and using a red dot if I can fabricate a mount.

The law is the law right?
That's kinda where I'm at, rebarrel a renegade or hawken with a Rice 45cal fast twist to shoot heavy solid lead conicals and install a sig 1x red dot that has the bdc reticle. 100y zero should have a guy out to 200y on the drops?

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
I don’t think you could get by with a red dot would be interesting thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erict

WKR
It appears that red dot sight would be fine for use. The law states:

"87-6-401. Unlawful use of equipment while hunting. (1) A person may not:

(i) during the special muzzleloader heritage hunting season established in 87-1-304, use a muzzleloading rifle that requires insertion of a cap or primer into the open breech of the barrel, is capable of being loaded from the breech, or is mounted with an optical magnification device. Use of preprepared paper or metallic cartridges, sabots, gas checks, or other similar power and range-enhancing manufactured loads that enclose the projectile from the rifling or bore of the firearm is also prohibited.

hobbes

WKR
They definitely didn't do a good job of writing the regs. I'd expect a rewrite or more "clarification" next season. I'm going to try to work up a load for Dad's 50 cal TC Renegade this week. I think he always shot a RB with patch through it or a Maxi Ball. A RB scares me a little for elk but not as much for deer. I think I'll start off with the Hornady Great Plains and go from there.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
I’d try the maxi before o round ball they hit so much harder we started with those maxis before we graduated to the no excuse

Schaaf

WKR
They definitely didn't do a good job of writing the regs. I'd expect a rewrite or more "clarification" next season. I'm going to try to work up a load for Dad's 50 cal TC Renegade this week. I think he always shot a RB with patch through it or a Maxi Ball. A RB scares me a little for elk but not as much for deer. I think I'll start off with the Hornady Great Plains and go from there.
That’s because the bill sponsor and Commission are incompetent. Screw this muzzleloader season.

bsnedeker

WKR
I think there is another seperate statute that does not allow ANY electronic device to be mounted on a gun or bow. I don't have time to research the statute but I would bet money a red dot is not allowed. Heck we can't have one on a rifle so doubt a muzzleloader would be a go.
lol...you are just wrong about so many things I don't even know where to start! You may want to review the regs buddy!

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
I think there is another seperate statute that does not allow ANY electronic device to be mounted on a gun or bow. I don't have time to research the statute but I would bet money a red dot is not allowed. Heck we can't have one on a rifle so doubt a muzzleloader would be a go.

Can run illuminated crosshairs on a normal rifle so it wouldn’t surprise me but I does say no magnification so idk how the 1x would be viewed the lack of rules on this or it not being black and white is a huge issue

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
Sadly there will probably be tons of violations for use of illegal equipment, and to simplify things they will just open it up to scoped muzzleloaders that can shoot several hundred yards no problem. The slaughter of Montana's deer must go on.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
That’s because the bill sponsor and Commission are incompetent. Screw this muzzleloader season.

Personally didn’t even pack a rifle this year because I wanted to do this hunt so it could help spread people out a little I’m super excited about it since I’ve lost almost all interest in hunting with a actual gun

hobbes

WKR
I am occasionally required to write, or at a minimum, review construction specifications. It's easy to end up with ambiguous specifications. It's difficult sometimes to anticipate every possible way that someone could misinterpret them, especially someone disingenuous.

I don't know about "incompetence", but it appears it was put together too quickly by folks that don't understand all the different options that are available for muzzleloaders or they just aren't very good at writing. I'm by no means an expert at writing, far from it, but seems like it could have been clearer. The difficulty comes with trying to not over complicate it and still cover everything. It's not always easy, especially when rushed.

Erict

WKR
FYI - It appears that "Legend" made a post and was quoted but has since delete the post. Seeing I had the time to look this up before spouting off y'all can see that a red dot scope is not currently prohibited by Montana statutes - not for rifles, bows or even "heritage" muzzleloaders. Regardless, I think most of us know what the INTENT of this was but as they left a lot of loopholes there are those who will use those to their advantage. Maybe it will lead to more scrutiny like HB637 should have received before being ramrodded through the system.

"87-6-401. Unlawful use of equipment while hunting. (1) A person may not:

(a) hunt or attempt to hunt any game animal or game bird by the aid or with the use of any snare, except as allowed in 87-3-127 and 87-3-128, set gun, projected artificial light, trap, salt lick, or bait;...."

Last edited:

WKR
Most guys haven't messed around with a traditional Hawken or other style with very good buckhorn sights and a german silver front blade. Twisted up with a roundball twist and doing 54 or 58 caliber, you'll find that given reasonable ranges no animals walk away from good shot placement.

If I wanted to push the MT envelope, I'd for sure go with a 45 barrel setup to shoot No Excuses Conicals. That coupled with a peep sight and you could stretch your maximum yardage a bit. I may do that next year on an antelope hunt but last few antelope have died just find with roundballs.

Never understood the avoidance of fine percussion guns in the field. They're damn deadly.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
Most guys haven't messed around with a traditional Hawken or other style with very good buckhorn sights and a german silver front blade. Twisted up with a roundball twist and doing 54 or 58 caliber, you'll find that given reasonable ranges no animals walk away from good shot placement.

If I wanted to push the MT envelope, I'd for sure go with a 45 barrel setup to shoot No Excuses Conicals. That coupled with a peep sight and you could stretch your maximum yardage a bit. I may do that next year on an antelope hunt but last few antelope have died just find with roundballs.

Never understood the avoidance of fine percussion guns in the field. They're damn deadly.

Almost exactly what I told my buddy yesterday I wanted to put together a 45 like that for next year this all just kinda came out of no where and I’m glad I have a gun that’s legal and shooting good for this year